LampizatOr Generation 4/Level 4... Now we're talking!

Geardaddy

Re: LampizatOr Generation 4/Level 4... Now we're talking!
« Reply #120 on: 9 Aug 2013, 01:14 am »
Why not get a Lampizator DSD only DAC, and then oversample all PCM music to DSD on the fly via HQplayer.  If the Lampizator DSD ends up being really good, this approach will allow for a simpler DAC and conversion, with the tricky conversion (PCM-DSD) done in software by a powerful computer.
Consider that Meitner/EMM and Playback Designs DACs both convert all PCM to DSD before conversion, and sound quite good in doing so, giving PCM some of the sonic advantages of DSD.

Very good suggestion....I wonder...

Geardaddy

« Reply #121 on: 9 Aug 2013, 01:15 am »
So the DSD entity is a work in progress?  In what way?  I was deliberating between the big 6 and the L5 with DSD....

wisnon

« Reply #122 on: 9 Aug 2013, 01:39 pm »
Sonically, I hear it is great...but in terms up updating the DSD board, etc it will be soon. New board is faster and can do DSD128, I was told.

Ask Lukasz directly, as I have my feedback from a UK customer who has the first edition.

Geardaddy

« Reply #123 on: 10 Aug 2013, 10:02 am »
Sounds good

grannyring

« Reply #124 on: 13 Aug 2013, 05:35 am »
Well I just hooked up my new 4/4 Lampizator. Mine has a Tube rectifier, Jensen caps and USB. After 2 hours it is showing all kinds of special promise.

Clear and inviting door into the music. I have not heard any digital front end sound quite this involving and musical.

More to come......

Gopher

« Reply #125 on: 14 Aug 2013, 03:57 pm »
I don't want to sound too tweaky posting this, but for you LampizatOr guys out there--hit up eBay and buy a 1amp Create Audio fuse for $10 shipped. 

This silly little tweak seems to meaningfully improve things further.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1pc-CREATE-AUDIO-Luxury-Nano-Fuse-5-20mm-1A-3A-5A-8A-/320701752950?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item4aab506676

wisnon

« Reply #126 on: 14 Aug 2013, 04:10 pm »
Will do. At this price, i will get 2.

Tell me...

How do you install the fuses?

Gopher

« Reply #127 on: 14 Aug 2013, 04:15 pm »
Right under the IEC there is a small notch you can fit a screw driver in and pry. 

Here is an illustration:

Double check your fuse value needed.  The Level 4s say 1amp on the back as does my Big Six, but a buddy's Big Six says 1.25amp.

wisnon

« Reply #128 on: 14 Aug 2013, 04:22 pm »
Well I just hooked up my new 4/4 Lampizator. Mine has a Tube rectifier, Jensen caps and USB. After 2 hours it is showing all kinds of special promise.

Clear and inviting door into the music. I have not heard any digital front end sound quite this involving and musical.

More to come......

Waiting patienly!

wisnon

« Reply #129 on: 14 Aug 2013, 04:23 pm »
Right under the IEC there is a small notch you can fit a screw driver in and pry. 

Here is an illustration:

Double check your fuse value needed.  The Level 4s say 1amp on the back as does my Big Six, but a buddy's Big Six says 1.25amp.

Much obliged!

doctorcilantro

« Reply #130 on: 15 Aug 2013, 07:33 am »
"our DAC is compatible ONLY WITH AUDIRVANA and definitely NOT WITH FOOBAR."

Referring to DoP?

wisnon

« Reply #131 on: 15 Aug 2013, 09:35 am »
DoP for DSD, I imagine.

Geardaddy

« Reply #132 on: 15 Aug 2013, 07:59 pm »
the synergistic quantum fuses are the bomb.  Cheapest and most effective tweak in my system for quite some time

fridays

« Reply #133 on: 16 Aug 2013, 03:42 pm »
Thanks Gopher and GD, is that a slow or fast blow fuse?

Berto

« Reply #134 on: 20 Aug 2013, 04:22 am »
Well I went back to Grants to help tube roll in his Big 6. Wow, what a transformative experience, not too mention educational for me and my imminent 6.

We rolled three different pairs of NOS recti and we thought they were all pretty good but the metal base Tung Sols 6x5 were amazing. :thumb: We also took out the Russian 68hc and put in the rare russian 1587 melz with the hole plates, notha huge uptick.  Only 200hrs on this vcapped DAC but the tube rolling experiment paid serious dividends.  The presentation had more body, was more liquid and the best gauge, it just sucked me in more :)  Will do some more tube rolling but that's gonna be a tough combo to beat.

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #135 on: 22 Aug 2013, 12:30 pm »
Well I went back to Grants to help tube roll in his Big 6. Wow, what a transformative experience, not too mention educational for me and my imminent 6. .....

Berto,

I just noticed this thread yesterday and read through it. I purchased Grant's Level 4, Gen 4 Dac a few weeks ago and couldn't be happier with it's overall performance. My system isn't even assembled at the moment due to construction at my home, but I've had it installed in 3 other friend's systems over the past few weeks with excellent results in all 3. I suspect at least one of those guys is going to join the Lampizator club as well. Simply immersive 3-d soundstage, and a delight to just relax and listen to.

shahed

« Reply #136 on: 22 Aug 2013, 05:03 pm »
Lampizator owners, please state what are you using with your dac:

1. tubes (nos?)
 2. Power Chord
 3. Digital coax cable.
 4. If you've the Lampizator USB input - usb cable/accessories (iFi variations)
 5. Other

shahed

« Reply #137 on: 22 Aug 2013, 05:12 pm »

1. Just ordered a matched pair of Philips SQ e88cc and tung sol 6x5 (on Lukasz recommendation).

2. Shunyata Venom/Nordost Magus power cable.

3. Black Cat Veloce digital coax cable.

4. A generic cheap usb cable to connect my squeezebox touch to Lampizator L4, G4 dac.

5. Herbies big tall tenderfoot and stabilizer disk

I'd particularly interested to hear about what usb cables/usb to spdif converter etc others are using.

findog3103

« Reply #138 on: 22 Aug 2013, 07:40 pm »
1. Just ordered a matched pair of Philips SQ e88cc and tung sol 6x5 (on Lukasz recommendation).

Hi, can you share where you ordered these tubes from?

glory

« Reply #139 on: 23 Aug 2013, 02:14 pm »
The Count is NOT Glory. I know Glory ( Fla Resident) and if you read earlier in the thread, though he owns a L5 Lampi, he keeps pushing the Ming Dac.

Really?? I don't own Ming's Dac and I don't push it.