New Phono stage: PH 9.0 MM/MC with on-the-fly loading!

gwernaffield

Re: New Phono stage: PH 9.0 MM/MC with on-the-fly loading!
« Reply #160 on: 11 Jun 2024, 12:48 pm »
Hi all i am new to this forum , i have just purchased a PH 9.0x , and wondered if it was worth upgrading the PSU to the T version , what benefits that will bring and is t worth the cost out lay of £550 , in the uk ,

theflattire

« Reply #161 on: 12 Jun 2024, 08:56 pm »
There's a good thread on AGon about rolling the tubes and there are a few folks who did the upgrades separately.  I believe most were thrilled with being able to roll the rectifier.
I did mine together so I can only say that I'm very happy.

nature boy

« Reply #162 on: 12 Jun 2024, 09:24 pm »
The tube modification takes this phone preamp to a whole new level in terms of sound quality. It produces a more 3D soundstage w/ a decent TT and cartridge. Vocals and live recordings are incredibly realistic. Well worth the extra coin in my opinion.

NB

gwernaffield

« Reply #163 on: 15 Jun 2024, 01:19 pm »
Hi My Name is pete i have live in the uk , i have a question to ask as i am new to valves , ,

do you need to have matched and balanced tubes in the PH9,0,
the MM on the ph9.0 only  has a gain switch on the from  from 0 to -6 , or -12,   the MC side has the loading on the left channel , as i use MM and MC ,into this phono stage

gwernaffield

« Reply #164 on: 23 Jun 2024, 10:36 am »
i have sent the power supply off to modwright , i cannot wait to get it back after reading more about it, and the help i have had from modwright , i have question does it give you a more choice is valves, or do you still have to use the E88cc  type ,

Stefan_DR3

« Reply #165 on: 23 Jun 2024, 02:55 pm »
Hi My Name is pete i have live in the uk , i have a question to ask as i am new to valves , ,

do you need to have matched and balanced tubes in the PH9,0,
the MM on the ph9.0 only  has a gain switch on the from  from 0 to -6 , or -12,   the MC side has the loading on the left channel , as i use MM and MC ,into this phono stage

Hi Pete, for your first question I would say the 6922 should be a matched pair, based on Dan’s reply here:
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=156920.120

Note that the triodes should be matched for gain, which is something most tube sellers don’t have the equipment or time to test for. 

The rest of your post is difficult to decipher. Please lay out your remaining questions clearly and in separate sentences.

Stefan_DR3

« Reply #166 on: 23 Jun 2024, 02:59 pm »
i have sent the power supply off to modwright , i cannot wait to get it back after reading more about it, and the help i have had from modwright , i have question does it give you a more choice is valves, or do you still have to use the E88cc  type ,

You’re getting a rectifier tube in the power supply?  This has no impact on the type of tubes used in the main unit. You would have to ship them both units for any such circuit modifications!