New Phono stage: PH 9.0 MM/MC with on-the-fly loading!

PierreB

Re: New Phono stage: PH 9.0 MM/MC with on-the-fly loading!
« Reply #100 on: 18 Mar 2020, 12:51 am »
Enjoy PierreB and welcome to the MWI family!

Dan Wright

Thanks.
If I use the balance outputs, does the gain go up 6db. (70db instead of 64db for a MC cartridge)

modwright

« Reply #101 on: 18 Mar 2020, 04:36 pm »
Because we create balanced outputs with the use of 1:1 output transformers, there will not be an additional 6dB of gain.

We offer this as an option for those who need to run long balanced cable runs only. There is no other sonic advantage to this.

Thanks,

Dan

PierreB

« Reply #102 on: 18 Mar 2020, 08:00 pm »
^^^ thanks.

RonP

« Reply #103 on: 24 Mar 2020, 10:05 pm »
Picked up mine from UPS this morning. About to unbox this baby. I'm in the family now!!  8)

modwright

« Reply #104 on: 24 Mar 2020, 11:32 pm »
Thanks RonP!

Dan Wright

RonP

« Reply #105 on: 8 May 2020, 02:00 am »
Hey Dan, How much warm up time should we allow for the PH 9.0 to hit optimum sound?

When I remember to do it, I try to do ~10 mins.

modwright

« Reply #106 on: 8 May 2020, 02:10 am »
I would say that 10 minutes is about right.  The tubes reach operating temp pretty fast.

Thanks,

Dan

Nonnegativ

« Reply #107 on: 8 Jul 2020, 07:25 pm »
Modwright PH 9.0 has replaced my former ASR Basis Exclusive in my humble listening room here in Denmark.

I had noticed that my listening sessions always ended with me analyzing the Music in HiFi-terms: Perspective, reproduction af various Frequencies etc. etc. While this might be interesting in the short term, this is not the goal of my gear. I want to feel emotions through Music, and realize that the right part of my brain still works ok ;-)

I have therefore during corona-lockdown been through a lenghty trial of various phonostages at home in the 3K $ segment available here in DK.

The Modwright PH 9.0 ended up as a clear winner. Only one other phonostage could match it on ability to express the inner tones of the Music, but the PH 9.0 won by a large margin on Dynamics, Perspective and ability to go low. With Telefunken E88CC from '69 it is absolutely glorios, and it is now impossible not to be drawn into the Music.

I have also for the first time in 10 years experienced that Harbeth SHL5 can actually deliver a deep low punch ;-)

I am extremely pleased with my Modwright PH 9.0 and also with the Danish Distributor, which is rightfully quite famous amoung audiophiles here in DK for his service - it is second to none.

All my best & keep up the good work.
« Last Edit: 8 Jul 2020, 09:59 pm by Nonnegativ »

jtsnead

• Everybody jumpin' out of they mind
« Reply #108 on: 18 Aug 2020, 03:23 pm »
The Modwright PH 9.0 ended up as a clear winner. Only one other phonostage could match it on ability to express the inner tones of the Music, but the PH 9.0 won by a large margin on Dynamics, Perspective and ability to go low. With Telefunken E88CC from '69 it is absolutely glorios, and it is now impossible not to be drawn into the Music.

I have also for the first time in 10 years experienced that Harbeth SHL5 can actually deliver a deep low punch ;-)

I am extremely pleased with my Modwright PH 9.0 and also with the Danish Distributor, which is rightfully quite famous amoung audiophiles here in DK for his service - it is second to none.

Wow great review the ASR is highly thought of Thanks
All my best & keep up the good work.
[/quote]

modwright

« Reply #109 on: 18 Aug 2020, 03:59 pm »
Thank you for your feedback!

The PH 9.0 continues to be a best seller for us and I am very happy with it!

The only phono stage we make that is better, is the PH 150, and that produce is $5K higher in price!

The goal of the PH 9.0 was to provide the maximum performance at a price-point that is reasonable and represents very high value.

Take care and enjoy!

Dan