Squeezebox replacement for less than $30!

hoxuanduc

Squeezebox replacement for less than $30!
« on: 8 Jan 2013, 06:43 am »
First, give credit to whom it's due:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=112608.msg1170890#msg1170890

U can buy the pogoplug for $20 + free shipping from Amazon here:
http://www.amazon.com/New-Media-sharing-device-black-POGOP21/dp/B005FNDJHS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357627071&sr=8-1&keywords=pogoplug

Then root the thing and download squeezeplay software to a 4GB USB drive.  Complete instruction is here:
http://vortexbox.org/content/149-Logitech-SqueezeBox-replacement-for-under-30

I got it up and running in less than an hour!!! and I don't know linux!  Work with pretty much any USB DAC, I think.

I use iphone to control the player.  There is a whole bunch of remote control apps for Android also if you own an Android phone. 

Sounds great! Definitely cheap and cheerful!  :thumb:

Have fun!

Duc

mcgsxr

Re: Squeezebox replacement for less than $30!
« Reply #1 on: 8 Jan 2013, 12:55 pm »
To clarify, you use the pogoplug as the player?

I understand the s/w part, though my own experience with Vortexbox is a little dated.

Could be a great solution to share tunes on several levels of my house, and with many iOS devices here, the remotes are covered.

jeffh

« Reply #2 on: 8 Jan 2013, 01:23 pm »
I have been following this over at www.vortexbox.org and ordered my pogoplug a few days ago.  Hopefully it will be here sometime this week.

mcgsxr

« Reply #3 on: 8 Jan 2013, 03:28 pm »
I am hunting one of the Pogo units down, and will play with this.   Looking for a cheap, 2nd solution for tunes around the house.

Might even get me to load Vortexbox onto my old Mini to make it the server, but I also have an older PC I could use, and keep the Mini near the system.  It is pretty quiet.

randytsuch

« Reply #4 on: 8 Jan 2013, 07:59 pm »
I ordered one from Amazon, but then read later it might be hit or miss if I get the right unit, hopefully I'll have it in a week or so and then I'll find out.

Randy

hoxuanduc

« Reply #5 on: 8 Jan 2013, 09:44 pm »
To clarify, you use the pogoplug as the player?

I understand the s/w part, though my own experience with Vortexbox is a little dated.

Could be a great solution to share tunes on several levels of my house, and with many iOS devices here, the remotes are covered.

Yes, I use the pogoplug as the player and LMS (Logitech Media Server) on a windows machine as the server. So if you currently use Squeezebox, you can simply add the pogoplug to you existing set up to expand.

BTW, the link to purchase in my original post should point to the correct model.  At least it works for me!

Duc

MLS

« Reply #6 on: 8 Jan 2013, 11:36 pm »
I just ordered one and a 8 gig flash drive for $27.00.  I used the link above, hope It is the right one also.

Pretty cool little device.  C&C :thumb:!!!!

mcgsxr

« Reply #7 on: 9 Jan 2013, 12:33 am »
The usual shaft for Canadian customers - $50 to ship!

I will have to find one locally, not paying more to ship than the item costs!

sts9fan

« Reply #8 on: 9 Jan 2013, 12:36 am »
I can't wait to add a $1k power supply!! :green:

JoshK

« Reply #9 on: 9 Jan 2013, 01:27 am »
The usual shaft for Canadian customers - $50 to ship!

I will have to find one locally, not paying more to ship than the item costs!

I am not "Canadian" but I've been feeling the shaft a lot lately! Should have asked for lube for xmas. Holy customs Canada!  Holy HST!  Holy Broker's Fees!  Holy clearing packages through customs yourself!

JoshK

« Reply #10 on: 9 Jan 2013, 01:29 am »
I can't wait to add a $1k power supply!! :green:

The power supply not included, or a wall wart with audiophile gear is getting annoying, especially when it is high end.   Fortunately, good low voltage PSUs are easy to DIY.  For a hell of a lot less than $1K! 

randytsuch

« Reply #11 on: 9 Jan 2013, 04:18 pm »
The power supply not included, or a wall wart with audiophile gear is getting annoying, especially when it is high end.   Fortunately, good low voltage PSUs are easy to DIY.  For a hell of a lot less than $1K!

I was looking at pics last night, looks like it has a little switcher inside.
Most likely it generates either 5V, and then there are probably more switchers which generate lower voltages.
It would need a fair amount of 5V to power four USB ports (2 A just for that).
If you only plan to connect one or two ports, or if you connect things that don't need USB power, then you won't need to generate as much current.

BTW, mine shipped yesterday, it is scheduled for next Tues delivery.

Randy

mcgsxr

« Reply #12 on: 9 Jan 2013, 04:20 pm »
Josh, you HAVE to get shippers to use USPS to send to you up here, or as you have discovered you take a real beating through UPS or Fedex on this side of the border.

I have a line on a local one off Kijiji, else I might have to ask a US brother to accept the shipping for me, and then ship on to me in Canada via USPS.  It will be way cheaper than $50 to do it that way...

sonicboom

« Reply #13 on: 9 Jan 2013, 10:48 pm »
I am not "Canadian" but I've been feeling the shaft a lot lately! Should have asked for lube for xmas. Holy customs Canada!  Holy HST!  Holy Broker's Fees!  Holy clearing packages through customs yourself!

This may sound naive, but where is NAFTA in all this?

mrhyfy

« Reply #14 on: 9 Jan 2013, 10:54 pm »
This may sound naive, but where is NAFTA in all this?

it's BROKERAGE FEES!! Blame your UPS/Fedex !!

lcrim

« Reply #15 on: 9 Jan 2013, 11:31 pm »
I was looking at pics last night, looks like it has a little switcher inside.
Most likely it generates either 5V, and then there are probably more switchers which generate lower voltages.
Well, reading this thread yesterday, I placed an order for one and it arrived today.  Pretty quick shipping.  It does have a smps onboard (5V @2A)  and four USB ports on the back and one on the front.  There is an RJ45 receptacle (ethernet) and the power line.
I'll set it up after I make some dinner and see how badly the switcher messes w/ the output.
Larry

randytsuch

« Reply #16 on: 10 Jan 2013, 12:05 am »
Well, reading this thread yesterday, I placed an order for one and it arrived today.  Pretty quick shipping.  It does have a smps onboard (5V @2A)  and four USB ports on the back and one on the front.  There is an RJ45 receptacle (ethernet) and the power line.
I'll set it up after I make some dinner and see how badly the switcher messes w/ the output.
Larry
Wow, that was quick, you must be on the east coast.  I'm on the west coast, so it has to go cross country.

I guess it was the "right" model number?  I think the incorrect one doesn't have as many USB ports.

Randy

mcgsxr

« Reply #17 on: 10 Jan 2013, 12:22 am »
The local one I found is the wrong model, and I don't want to risk messing up the easy to read and follow instructions!

Anyone running this using the volume control via the remote on this? Ie running the pogo as the player, and using the iOS device as the remote to raise and lower the volume?

hoxuanduc

« Reply #18 on: 10 Jan 2013, 01:56 am »

Anyone running this using the volume control via the remote on this? Ie running the pogo as the player, and using the iOS device as the remote to raise and lower the volume?

Yes

crooner

« Reply #19 on: 10 Jan 2013, 03:06 am »
Jumped on the bandwagon and bought one of the Pogoplugs from the link posted above.
I plan to use my Audioquest Dragonfly with it.

The Dragonfly has an analog domain volume control. I hope I am able to access it from the Pogoplug device.

I currently use a Netbook as my digital source with the Dragonfly, a Griffin Powermate (as volume control) and a USB 750Gb hard drive attached to it. I run Foobar2000 with Wasapi Event mode. I use an ipod Touch running TouchRemote. Sounds great but the occasional glitch due to latency issues makes me miss my Squeezebox days.

This is why became interested in this Pogoplug device. If the output is as robust as the original Squeezebox, it will be fantastic!  :P