Squeezebox replacement for less than $30!

crooner

Re: Squeezebox replacement for less than $30!
« Reply #60 on: 17 Jan 2013, 02:35 am »
I received my first PogoPlug today via Adorama. It is the correct "E02" version. The other that I ordered from the VortexBox store is scheduled for  delivery on friday. I still need to purchase the USB sticks, so it will be later this week or over the weekend when I am able to play with it.

sharpsuxx

• "I guess live music is a healthy addiction." CT
« Reply #61 on: 17 Jan 2013, 02:46 am »
When I went to attempt to enable SSH on mine after registering it, there was no option for that in the security tab, anyone have any suggestions?

BTW, I got mine from Adorama, also an EO2 model.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #62 on: 17 Jan 2013, 02:50 am »
Installed the 4GB USB drive.  Formatted it as FAT32.

Downloaded the USB Image file, ran the software and it came back with the image is to large for the drive.  Told it to trucate the image and it would then write the file to the USB drive.

Will be wating until the POGO-E02 arrives to install it and give it a try.

MLS

« Reply #63 on: 17 Jan 2013, 03:40 am »
I copied this from the Vortexbox forum and it is from Andrew the guy who turned the pogoplug into a Squeezebox replacement.

"I loaded ArchLinux running on the POGOP21 I purchased. I loaded the precompiled ARM version of squeezelite and it works great!"

So there may be hope for those of us who purchased the POGOP21 version.  His link to the product on his website is the POGOP21 also.

I am just to much of a computer dummy to probably make this thing work.

randytsuch

« Reply #64 on: 17 Jan 2013, 04:50 pm »
When I went to attempt to enable SSH on mine after registering it, there was no option for that in the security tab, anyone have any suggestions?

BTW, I got mine from Adorama, also an EO2 model.

I got the same screen shown in the in vortexbox instructions, which shows change password on top and the SSH enable on bottom.

You need to select "settings", and then "security" and then you should get the change password/enable SSH screen.

When you enable SSH, it will ask for a new password, which you probably only need to use once.

After a few problems, mostly because I was trying to do this from a Mac instead of a windows machine using putty, I was able to get to the point where you plug in the dac and reboot.  I actually had to enter the nosoup4u password from windows/putty before I could get that to work.  I can't get it to work from the Mac.

I just need to see if the Dac shows up on on squeezeserver, hopefully I can try it tonight.

Randy

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #65 on: 17 Jan 2013, 10:04 pm »
I copied this from the Vortexbox forum and it is from Andrew the guy who turned the pogoplug into a Squeezebox replacement.

"I loaded ArchLinux running on the POGOP21 I purchased. I loaded the precompiled ARM version of squeezelite and it works great!"

So there may be hope for those of us who purchased the POGOP21 version.  His link to the product on his website is the POGOP21 also.

I am just to much of a computer dummy to probably make this thing work.

When I have time will give this a try with the POGO-P21 that is here.  Will see what happens.

randytsuch

« Reply #66 on: 18 Jan 2013, 04:26 pm »
I finished the setup yesterday, and was able to get my pogoplug working.

I had a few hiccups getting it working, I think mostly because I was trying to use Terminal on a Macbook instead of putty.  At the end, I had to use putty to get it to work, and then I figured out how to do it on Terminal too.

I also had a problem with step 14, the last step where you run alsamixer.  In the end, I just skipped it.
I just hooked up my DAC, rebooted, logged in again (not sure if you need to), and then I was able to find a VAMP player from LMS, and use it to play music.

Randy

randytsuch

« Reply #67 on: 18 Jan 2013, 04:41 pm »
Over at vortex box, they added this link
http://astore.amazon.com/vort-20/detail/B0044CL1N0

Costs $2 more, but they "guarantee" it will be an E02

Randy

randytsuch

« Reply #68 on: 18 Jan 2013, 06:07 pm »
One more thing, but this is somewhat of a tangent (maybe?).

Hardwired is not convenient for me, my router is in a closet, and I don't want to sit in the closet to listen to music :)

I was actually laying on the floor by the closet last night, my daughter found that to be very funny  :lol: :lol:

I was thinking of adding a usb wifi dongle, but I was searching at the vortex box forum this morning, and he recommended homeplug (ethernet over power) to someone who was asking about adding wifi.

Seems like a reasonable way to go, for $50 you can get a pair of these and should be good to go.
I have seen warning about people who had trouble, said you can't plug them into power conditioners.

The other issue where I think they would be a problem is if the two plugs are on different phases of house power.
I think most houses are wired so 1/2 of the power is on one phase, and 1/2 on a 2nd phase.  240VAC comes into your house, and it gets split into 2 phases to power your house.
So, I am pretty sure that the homeplugs need to be on the same phase or they won't work, at least that makes sense to me.

Randy

hoxuanduc

« Reply #69 on: 18 Jan 2013, 06:14 pm »
Randy,

You may want to consider another wireless router (something cheap) set up as an AP/switcher and connect using the ethernet to the pogo box.  I don't think you want to share USB controller between audio and wifi.  There are all kinds of problem with the Rasberry Pi playing USB audio because the ethernet and audio share the same controller.

Duc

randytsuch

« Reply #70 on: 18 Jan 2013, 08:04 pm »
Randy,

You may want to consider another wireless router (something cheap) set up as an AP/switcher and connect using the ethernet to the pogo box.  I don't think you want to share USB controller between audio and wifi.  There are all kinds of problem with the Rasberry Pi playing USB audio because the ethernet and audio share the same controller.

Duc

Hi Duc
Thanks for reminding me about the Rasberry problem, I had read about it and then forgot it.

But, in thinking about it, there must be more going on here.

If you were listening to 24bit at 200 k, then you would use up 4.8 Mbits/sec of bandwidth.

High speed USB supports 480 Mbits/sec, so you are using 10% of the bandwidth.

Now if you recieve data over the same USB interface, and then send it out to the DAC, you need to double the data, so you are using 20% of the bandwidth.  480 is theoretical, you probably don't get the full 480, and there is some overhead, but still don't see why you can't use the same USB path for both.

I may still buy a wireless client, but I might play with my dongle a bit first and see if I can get it to work.
For ease of use, the little dongle is appealing, versus needs a 2nd box for the wireless.

Randy

srb

« Reply #71 on: 18 Jan 2013, 08:12 pm »
 4.8 Mbits/sec is actually only 1% of 480 Mbits/sec.

But bandwidth is not the whole story.  Computers vary in their USB chipsets and implementation, and sometimes multiple USB device contention can cause a momentary stutter or glitch.  Not a problem for most devices, but definitely an annoyance for audio or video streaming.

Steve

randytsuch

« Reply #72 on: 18 Jan 2013, 08:16 pm »
4.8 Mbits/sec is actually only 1% of 480 Mbits/sec.

But bandwidth is not the whole story.  Computers vary in their USB chipsets and implementation, and sometimes multiple USB device contention can cause a momentary stutter or glitch.  Not a problem for most devices, but definitely an annoyance for audio or video streaming.

Steve

I was just checking if you were paying attention  :oops:

And I realize that it still could be a problem, point was that just because the Rasberry had the problem does not mean that Pogo will have it too.

Randy

crooner

« Reply #73 on: 19 Jan 2013, 12:52 am »
Got the other Pogoplug today (the one ordered from theVortexbox store) and sure enough, it's a P21. So back it goes....
« Last Edit: 19 Jan 2013, 04:32 am by crooner »

lcrim

« Reply #74 on: 19 Jan 2013, 06:16 am »
I use a wireless AP to get the signal from my downstairs broadband router connected to the Internet (and a Pogoplug device, and a Netflix enabled BD)  upstairs to the LMS computer, a Pogoplug device, a printer and another Netflix enabled device.  I've never experienced a dropout on any connected device including 3 wireless laptops..  The internet router and AP were less than $150 combined.  I worked as a network admin true, but we aren't talking about very high tech stuff here.
BTW-The Pogoplugs are now acting as my Squeezebox Touch and the sound is cleaner and another veil has dropped.  I've got to get to sleep now.   
Larry

crooner

« Reply #75 on: 20 Jan 2013, 12:31 am »
I am having trouble restoring the VAMP image. I have a 4 gB USB Drive. USB image tool keeps telling me image size is too large. What should I do? I have run the program as an administrator and I don't want to truncate the image for fear of losing data.

hoxuanduc

« Reply #76 on: 20 Jan 2013, 12:54 am »
You can get an 8gb usb flash drive

crooner

« Reply #77 on: 20 Jan 2013, 01:00 am »
I guess. I got the 4GB for $7. The 8GB was $3 more. But I read somewhere, you must use a drive of the same capacity as the image. I guess this is incorrect then. I will head to RadioShack and get the 8GB drive. I can't return this one because I threw away the packaging.

crooner

« Reply #78 on: 20 Jan 2013, 01:45 am »
Got myself a Sansa 8GB drive.  Lets see if this will work (fingers crossed!)

randytsuch

« Reply #79 on: 20 Jan 2013, 04:28 am »
Got myself a Sansa 8GB drive.  Lets see if this will work (fingers crossed!)

I used a 8g stick, it worked no problem.

Randy