Squeezebox replacement for less than $30!

lcrim

Re: Squeezebox replacement for less than $30!
« Reply #40 on: 13 Jan 2013, 11:52 pm »
I've had mine now a few days.  It is the proper E02 version and it took some messing around with to get it to work but work it does.  Mine came from Adorama BTW.
I don't want to say too much about the sound quality just yet.  I've tried it with both the HRT MS II and the AudioEngine D1 and both work just fine.  My system is wired so no concerns there.  It will play 24/96 and so 24/192  is out of reach but so long as you have the LMS  software saved someplace (and it ports to freaking everything) it does kind of make the Touch unit superfluous.    I personally don't listen to internet radio stations but since that is server dependant, it shouldn't be an issue.
Bob from St. Louis, you have a new software/hardware piece to bitch about.  This thing does work, it sounds fine w/ the cheap USB DACs I can afford.
It needs more time to burn in and since I have two systems I can compare it to the Touch but I don't believe there's very much to choose between them.  Time will tell re: reliability and that kind of concern but for now I will let it burn in and comment on quality later. 
Larry 

crooner

« Reply #41 on: 14 Jan 2013, 01:23 am »
Cool!
If both Pogoplugs are the correct version then I can use one unit as the LMS server and the other as the player.
I found a link describing how to use the Pogoplug as a LMS server, and it also needs the E02 version.

Details here:  http://rustybytes.com/2011/02/16/setup-your-pogoplug-as-a-squeezebox-server/

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #42 on: 14 Jan 2013, 01:33 am »
Went to Adorama and they have a POGO-E02G unit that is available.  Is that the one you received?  It is $29.99 at the website.

randytsuch

« Reply #43 on: 14 Jan 2013, 02:06 am »
Received mine today from Amazon and it is the P21 version.  Has a T3 in the Product ID. 

Oh well, back it goes.

Where did it come from?  With the Amazon link, it seems like it could either be Adorama or Triplenet.

Randy

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #44 on: 14 Jan 2013, 02:06 am »
Triplenet.

crooner

« Reply #45 on: 14 Jan 2013, 02:12 am »
So it seems it's a roll of the dice with either Triplenet or Adorama. With my two orders I guess I increased the odds of getting a correct one by 100%. Fingers crossed!

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #46 on: 14 Jan 2013, 02:20 am »
Found one on Amazon.com from neither of the two companies that actually says POGO-E02 in the add and is the pink/white unit.

Ordered that one for trials.  Will see if it is the correct unit.

randytsuch

« Reply #47 on: 14 Jan 2013, 02:28 am »
So it seems it's a roll of the dice with either Triplenet or Adorama. With my two orders I guess I increased the odds of getting a correct one by 100%. Fingers crossed!

Based on this small sample, I am hoping the Adorama is shipping the E02 and Triplenet the P21

Randy

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #48 on: 14 Jan 2013, 02:36 am »
Adorama says POGO-E02G.  Hope it works.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #49 on: 14 Jan 2013, 02:11 pm »
Bob from St. Louis, you have a new software/hardware piece to bitch about.
Am I that bad:lol:

I've actually fallen back in love with the squeezebox (SB3).
It took the changes of using an Android tablet as a remote, third party software and wired connections to get me interested in the machine again, but I'm very happy now.
Zero bugs/glitches.

But the price of this little unit almost makes me want to do it "just because".
I'm still on the fence about buying it. Not because of cost, but because it's another device in my life......  :duh:

Bob

lcrim

« Reply #50 on: 14 Jan 2013, 03:53 pm »
Hi Bob:
I've been thinking about the practicality of this device and whether or not its ready for prime time.  I was messing w/ you but you would be a good test for whether a wider audience is a possibility. 
I've worked in a corporate IT environment in the past and when updates or upgrades are rolled out, even when great care and planning is followed, even when remote control is employed,  many client computers require hands on support by the staff to accomplish whats necessary.
The setup in this case is fairly straight forward, but I thought the same thing about the Squeezebox.  Anyways, good luck to you all and I hope you all have a good experience w/ this very cost effective device.
Larry

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #51 on: 14 Jan 2013, 05:20 pm »
Hi Bob:
I've been thinking about the practicality of this device and whether or not its ready for prime time.  I was messing w/ you but you would be a good test for whether a wider audience is a possibility. 
Yea, I figured you were just poking me in the ribs a bit.  :wink:
Truthfully, I can't recall a time where I had everything "straight" with my system. Meaning that there's always been some kind of bug or glitch that needed attended to, whether it be hardware or software. Recently, I think I've got the hardware bugs fixed, just a couple library related software issues I'd like to address.

That being said, as much as I'd like to play with the unit, I'm leaning towards leaving things alone and listening to music for awhile instead of constantly tweaking things.
But it's a neat thread and I'll be storing this in the memory banks.....just in case.

Bob

mcgsxr

« Reply #52 on: 15 Jan 2013, 04:24 pm »
2 ordered.  I will get to this when I can, but I have downloaded all the requisite s/w for VAMP, and MAC or PC LMS for future use.

Thanks for the heads up!

randytsuch

« Reply #53 on: 16 Jan 2013, 05:22 am »
My Pogo came today, its the E02 version, came from Adorama/Amazon.

Adorama is the cheapest again, so it is showing up when you click the link at the beginning of this thread.

Now I need to figure out how to change this thing.

Randy

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #54 on: 16 Jan 2013, 01:17 pm »
Randy,
Is it the black chassis or white/pink chassis E02 version?

randytsuch

« Reply #55 on: 16 Jan 2013, 02:02 pm »
Randy,
Is it the black chassis or white/pink chassis E02 version?

black

randytsuch

« Reply #56 on: 16 Jan 2013, 10:05 pm »
My first mistake, went to Frys and a small 8gb stick was the same price as a 4gb one, so of course I bought the 8gb.

Then, I read the directions more carefully, and you are copying an image to the stick, and it's a 4gb image, so it needs to be a 4gb stick.
It does appear there is a way to fix this, but sticks are cheap so I am just going to buy buy a 4gb stick and I can use the 8gb stick for other stuff.

Randy

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #57 on: 16 Jan 2013, 10:11 pm »
The one I have coming is the white/pink unit that says E02 version.  Should be here next week.

The PNY 4GB USB drive arrived today.  Will try imaging it shortly so that it is ready when the POGO-E02 arrives.

Have putty downloaded and aready have an image writer setup for use with the USB drive.

Here we go!

hoxuanduc

« Reply #58 on: 16 Jan 2013, 10:50 pm »
My first mistake, went to Frys and a small 8gb stick was the same price as a 4gb one, so of course I bought the 8gb.

Then, I read the directions more carefully, and you are copying an image to the stick, and it's a 4gb image, so it needs to be a 4gb stick.
It does appear there is a way to fix this, but sticks are cheap so I am just going to buy buy a 4gb stick and I can use the 8gb stick for other stuff.

Randy

You can use either 4g or 8g.  No difference.  Make sure you run as administrator, otherwise it will not copy properly.

Duc

randytsuch

« Reply #59 on: 17 Jan 2013, 12:26 am »
You can use either 4g or 8g.  No difference.  Make sure you run as administrator, otherwise it will not copy properly.

Duc

Thanks for the info Duc.

I downloaded the USB Image Tool, and when I was reading about it, I found this
Q: I restored a smaller image file to a larger flash drive. Now it shows the smaller size. What can I do?

A: You have to expand the restored partition. You can do this with various partition tools. A free method is the GParted Live CD.

That was more than I wanted to deal with, so I figured I would just go buy a 4g stick instead.

I restoring the image to my 8gb stick now, I'll see how it goes tonight when I get home.

Randy