Squeezebox replacement for less than $30!

sharpsuxx

• "I guess live music is a healthy addiction." CT
Re: Squeezebox replacement for less than $30!
« Reply #20 on: 10 Jan 2013, 03:37 am »
I am with Crooner, just took the plunge for 20 bones and going to give it a try.  See how it sounds with my EE DAC.  Hopefully it all works.  Right now I am using a netbook running fidelizer (worthless, but hey its free...) and squeezeplayer controlled very easily from the android app, the only annoying thing is that the netbook will randomly restart itself after updates or whatnot (I guess I could disable updates) and that my wife steals it and uses it for recipes (the food is worth it).  As long as the user experience is similar and sound qulaity is equivalent I am basically scoring myself a new netbook to use around the house. 

Hopefully it all works great, it would be awesome to get rid of some vibrations, heat, and moving parts from my rack. 

A few questions:
Any experiences so far using it with Squeezebox controller?  What is the sound quality difference between Squeezeplayer and Vortexbox?  I know a lot of the "audiophile" servers run Vortexbox with all kind of mods.  Anyone have any expereineces as far as stability with this device?

mcgsxr

« Reply #21 on: 10 Jan 2013, 01:56 pm »
I have asked Andrew on the Vortexbox site if only the e-02 version of the plug will work.   His Amazon site (where that version of the plug is avaiable) won't ship to me in Canada.  There is a Pro wireless version locally, but not sure that will work.

We'll see.

I am just looking for a simple way to get SB running again in my setups.  If it is not simple, I will have to watch from the sidelines!

mcgsxr

« Reply #22 on: 10 Jan 2013, 08:14 pm »
As per this thread at Vortexbox, the Pro version of the Pogo is not supported for this particular adventure.

http://vortexbox.org/threads/4536-squeezelite-on-Pogoplug

hoxuanduc

« Reply #23 on: 10 Jan 2013, 10:19 pm »
I have asked Andrew on the Vortexbox site if only the e-02 version of the plug will work.   His Amazon site (where that version of the plug is avaiable) won't ship to me in Canada.  There is a Pro wireless version locally, but not sure that will work.

We'll see.

I am just looking for a simple way to get SB running again in my setups.  If it is not simple, I will have to watch from the sidelines!

I think this is the correct version shipped from Canada. PINK???  :o

http://www.amazon.ca/POGO-E02-Pogoplug-Media-Sharing-Device/dp/B0033WSDR4/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1357856191&sr=8-6

MLS

« Reply #24 on: 12 Jan 2013, 01:42 am »
Mine arrived today.  I have not done anything with it yet.  I am a computer dummy. 

Let the fun begin

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #25 on: 12 Jan 2013, 02:06 am »
I just ran across this thread. Looks like a neat little device, something I'd like to play with, although I just "re-fell" in love with my SB3.
I found a black one for $20 HERE.

Mark, if you need help......

Bob

JoshK

« Reply #26 on: 12 Jan 2013, 02:08 am »
Josh, you HAVE to get shippers to use USPS to send to you up here, or as you have discovered you take a real beating through UPS or Fedex on this side of the border.

This much I knew before moving up here.. I've sold to Canadians before (I've flipped some gear through the decade of being an audiophile ).  hehe... 

I didn't know how stiff the shaft was.  I have had more than a few packages shipped from the states via USPS and had them handed off to UPS for delivery in CA when the package was a bit larger....ended with Brokerage fees and HST obviously. Brokerage fees are nuts here!  I've done it myself on a number of packages and never spend more than 15 minutes in line.   The commute there and back gets me though.   

MLS

« Reply #27 on: 12 Jan 2013, 07:27 pm »
I got my Pogoplug and started to look at the instructions and they say;

Remove packaging from your PogoPlug and attach it to power and your Internet router. Look at the bottom and make sure it says Model: POGO-E02. These steps will not work on another model. You should also write down the MAC address.

My Pogoplug is model # POGO-P21 

Am I SOL?  As I mentioned before I am a Computer Dummy.

Scott

hoxuanduc

« Reply #28 on: 12 Jan 2013, 08:23 pm »
can you post pic?

MLS

« Reply #29 on: 12 Jan 2013, 08:31 pm »
It is the black one with the 3 USB slots and ethernet on the back and the 1 USB on the front.  It has a different model number than the guy who came up with this from Vortexbox.

randytsuch

« Reply #30 on: 12 Jan 2013, 09:36 pm »

My Pogoplug is model # POGO-P21 

Am I SOL?  As I mentioned before I am a Computer Dummy.

Scott

http://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv6/pogoplug-provideov3

http://vortexbox.org/threads/4536-squeezelite-on-Pogoplug?p=29662&viewfull=1#post29662

From the first link, your model has the NAS7820 ARMv6
From the 2nd link, the MAS7820 is not supported, so it would appear that you are SOL.

Based on the first link, people should AVOID these pogoplug models
POGO-P01 - Pro
 POGO-P21 - V3
 POGO-P24 - V3
 POGO-P25 - V3
 POGO-B01 - Classic
 POGO-B02 - Classic
 POGO-B03 - Classic
 POGO-B04 - Classic

Did you order from the Amazon link in the first post?
Was the order placed with Adorama camera?  (that's is where mine is coming from)
When did you order?

Vortex box has a Amazon store, I'm not sure if you would have better luck ordering it through them
http://astore.amazon.com/vort-20/detail/B005FNDJHS

Randy

crooner

« Reply #31 on: 12 Jan 2013, 10:03 pm »
I ordered from Adorama as well. Hope I get the right one!!!

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #32 on: 12 Jan 2013, 10:19 pm »
The one in the link is supposed to be an E02 version even though the box is labeled a P21. 

Have one on order to see.  If it is not correct, will just return it.

crooner

« Reply #33 on: 12 Jan 2013, 10:51 pm »
It is the black one with the 3 USB slots and ethernet on the back and the 1 USB on the front.  It has a different model number than the guy who came up with this from Vortexbox.

Does yours say V3 anywhere on it?
Perhaps you do indeed have the correct one. The one sold by the Vortexbox store is advertised as model POGOP21 also.

MLS

« Reply #34 on: 12 Jan 2013, 11:15 pm »
I can not find V3 on it anywhere.

MLS

« Reply #35 on: 12 Jan 2013, 11:18 pm »
The one linked on Vortexbox is the P21.

MLS

« Reply #36 on: 12 Jan 2013, 11:26 pm »
There is a V3 in the Product ID # on the box.  Now that I look closer there is also the same Product ID # on the device with V3 in it also.

crooner

« Reply #37 on: 13 Jan 2013, 12:38 am »
Is this thing easy to return if I get the wrong one?

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #38 on: 13 Jan 2013, 02:08 am »
Received mine today from Amazon and it is the P21 version.  Has a T3 in the Product ID. 

Oh well, back it goes. 

crooner

« Reply #39 on: 13 Jan 2013, 02:20 am »
I haven't received mine yet but I am not taking chances and will order another one from the Vortexbox store.