Squeezebox replacement for less than $30!

mcgsxr

Re: Squeezebox replacement for less than $30!
« Reply #180 on: 25 Apr 2013, 12:02 pm »
Making progress, managed to get the USB image tool running.

I could not use the 4GB drive I bought for this, but am moving to using a 16GB stick instead. 

Success in getting the Pogo setup as a player.  Now moving to sorting out how to get one to be setup as a server or a combo.  I have 2, so happy to use them in tandem, or get 1 setup as both.

We'll see!

mcgsxr

« Reply #181 on: 28 Apr 2013, 06:32 pm »
I got very close, but have suffered a setback.

I got to the point where I had the Pogo setup as both the VAMP player, and the LMS.  But try as I might, I could not get my music recognized on the LMS.

Now the Pogo is not loading either with or without the usb drive attached (the one with the music).

It just flashed orange over and over and never boots.

Might be a brick, good thing I bought 2!  If I do this again, I will leave well enough alone, and just load up the VAMP image and use the Pogo as a player.  My HA Info usb-spdif converter works perfectly into my Pioneer receiver.

In any case, I think I will follow in lcrim's shoes and invest in a netbook as my LMS.  They don't use much power, I won't feel bad running one as my server and leaving it on, with my 2TB music drive attached.

mcgsxr

« Reply #182 on: 29 Apr 2013, 07:14 pm »
Staying after this.  Got the VAMP up and running again on Pogo 1 after redoing the USB image and setup.  Thanks randytsuch!

Will try setting up Pogo 2 as the LMS, and see if I can get that working.

BFitz

« Reply #183 on: 29 Apr 2013, 10:18 pm »
I would get the first one going as the LMS, and test it on your PC with squeezeplay.

http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightly/index.php?ver=7.8

I never got a pogo to work as both for the long haul. It would do both for a short time, then the player stopped being recognized until a re-boot, then it worked again. Honestly, I think these are more valuable as servers than players. Mine's on 24/7. But I have 4 squeezebox players, squeezeplay on PC's, and IPeng on my IPhone.

mcgsxr

« Reply #184 on: 29 Apr 2013, 10:32 pm »
I'd love to get one running LMS.  But I have not ever been able to do so.  I had the LMS installed along with VAMP on Pogo 1 for a while, but could not get LMS to find any of the 1.2TB of FLAC attached by usb.

So, in trying, I ended up wrecking how it worked.

I have been able to get Pogo 1 up and running VAMP again.

I am struggling with getting Pogo 2 up and running LMS. 

Noob here, just getting used to putty etc.

BFitz

« Reply #185 on: 30 Apr 2013, 01:02 am »
Try a smaller drive to start, like a 4GB USB thumb drive with some music. It takes a long time to scan 1.2TB, maybe overnight. Testing is easier with a puny drive to start. Once going, you can re-scan through web interface to the pogo LMS   
http://squeezeplug:9000/
the big music drive.

My recall was it was fairly quick to get LMS going with Randy's details. But that assumes you know the whole LMS server and control operation from using it before. 

mcgsxr

« Reply #186 on: 2 May 2013, 01:06 pm »
I had used a Bolder modded SB3 for years, and am familiar with the server s/w.

My noobishness is LINUX and command line interfacing with such an OS.

For simplicity, I have landed on using the Pogo loaded with VAMP as my player.

I sold an old Mac Mini off, and picked up a used Acer Aspire One D257 netbook, and loaded LMS on it.  It works great, and I again have access to my 1.2TB of FLAC.

I will upgrade the RAM of the netwook from 1gb to 2gb, and call it done as long as it stays stable for me.

It was a fun adventure, and I had a bunch of odd, unrelated failures along the way (one old laptop died, one old desktop hd junked in the middle of a song 2 days ago!), so it seemed easiest for me to go mostly with what I know.

Thanks again for all the help along the way, I agree that the VAMP is an excellent sounding player, even simply used to feed my Pioneer receiver a digital signal, and let that device do the rest of the DAC work.
« Last Edit: 2 May 2013, 02:45 pm by mcgsxr »

BFitz

« Reply #187 on: 31 May 2013, 04:26 pm »
I recently switched USB drives, and could not get Pogo running LMS to recognize the new drive. I tried re-scanning from IPeng and then the web based interface, but no luck.

I had powered down the Pogo, switched drives, and powered it back up.

Then I went into Putty and ran "setup" to get into the LMS configuration tool for the Pogo server. Went through the 2 or 3 steps to identify the music source as the USB drive.
This worked great, the LMS web interface then scanned the drive, and everything worked again, with the new music added and available. 
Maybe this tip can help folks who are having problems getting the server to recognize their music.
On my drive, all the music files and sub-folders are contained one folder called "music". This folder, whatever you may name it, also needs to show up in the "music folder" under "settings" on the LMS web interface (lower right screen). If not, you may need to enter it, or browse for it.

FWIW, there is a another squeezebox replacement effort underway that will have a built in high quality audiophile type, ultra low jitter DAC based on a Wandboard processor. The target price is about $200. without power supply or enclosure, but boards will be fully finished, with i/o connections (no soldering). 

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?97881-Community-Funded-Squeezebox-Replacement-Would-you-be-interested

AudioChick88

« Reply #188 on: 22 Oct 2013, 12:39 pm »
How many hours would you guys say it takes to put together the Pogo piece described?  Is it something that can be finished in a few hours?  I admit I'm not a "techie" person, and I've tried (with some help from my brother) a couple of Pi builds.  He's too busy to help me finish up (totally lost at this point), so I have a bunch of pieces that doesn't quite work :p

I just want to add a couple more of SqueezeBox players and wouldn't mind giving this one more shot by myself, but I wouldn't mind just outright purchasing something at this point.  I see old Duet's and Touch's on sale, but they're like $500-800! https://www.google.com/search?q=logitech+squeezebox&tbm=shop  (All the cheaper stuff is looooong gone)

I found this OpenSqueeze Solo as one option.  The only thing it's missing for me is a screen (not a big deal, I have my iPhone and iPad ;)  http://www.vidabox.com/opensqueeze-replacement-squeezebox-alternative-multi-room-zone-music-hardware-audio-players/opensqueeze-solo-music-player.html  I remember my parents paying $200-250 for my duets a few years back, so this isn't half bad...

(The only time I have to work on this would be Thanksgiving break, but I don't want to waste time if it still doesn't work!) :P