BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER

GrooveControl

Re: BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER
« Reply #1280 on: 14 Oct 2021, 12:01 am »
Hi All! I’m a Huge Bryston fan and recently purchased a BDA-3.14 to replace my DIY streamer and inferior preamp.
Was wondering if any of you were using the BHA-1 as a preamp, as well as a headphone amp, to drive your power amp.  If so, how is that working out? Please state your system components when replying.

Thanks!

I used the BHA-1 as a preamp for over a year.  I had the -12db gain reduction done to it, as running balanced lines into a #3Bsst it was just too hot.  The sound was excellent, no complaints there, but I finally gave in and went for a preamp with remote control capability.  The replacement preamp is the SP1.7 which I run in 2 channel mode exclusively. 

In addition to the lack of remote control capabilities , the other thing I don't like about the BHA-1 is the volume control. It's sensitive before 3:00 and again after 9:00 but does next to nothing between those positions.  I inquired into changing the volume pot but Mike said that only one works in that unit.  Small thing, but I thought I would mention it. 

So my SP1.7 is connected to both the BHA-1 and 3Bsst, and I turn on one amp or the other as needed. The BHA-1 just sits there at max volume and I control the volume with the SP1.7. Really wish the SP1.7 had headphone output so I could have reduced component count.  Oh well, may someday a BP17. 

Highendfool

• It is what you think.
« Reply #1281 on: 14 Oct 2021, 02:06 am »
Thanks for the feedback! Appreciate your input.
I’m still not clear about this: When using the unit as a preamp to drive your speakers, does the feed to the power amp get muted when you plug the headphones in? Can’t find anything on line to clarify one way or another!
Sorry if it’s a dumb question, just wanted to clarity this before spending more than I can afford! 😝

GrooveControl

« Reply #1282 on: 14 Oct 2021, 03:32 am »
Go back one page. There was a reply before mine that speaks to this. 

rob80b

« Reply #1283 on: 14 Oct 2021, 12:05 pm »
I used the BHA-1 as a preamp for over a year.  I had the -12db gain reduction done to it, as running balanced lines into a #3Bsst it was just too hot.  ............

Curious if you had the gain reduction done prior to using it as a pre, if I remember correctly the wonky gain on the BHA-1 when I was using it as a pre performed more linear for its full rotation, this was with the 4BSST and a 2B LP pro, much like the BP25 before it.

rob80b

« Reply #1284 on: 14 Oct 2021, 12:05 pm »

ditto.  8)

GrooveControl

« Reply #1285 on: 14 Oct 2021, 12:45 pm »
Curious if you had the gain reduction done prior to using it as a pre, if I remember correctly the wonky gain on the BHA-1 when I was using it as a pre performed more linear for its full rotation, this was with the 4BSST and a 2B LP pro, much like the BP25 before it.

I didn't need the gain reduction for my headphones. It was only after connecting it to the 3B.  The output from the speakers with volume at the 9:00 position was not what one would expect, and that was with the gain switch down on the 3B.

If it wasn't for lack of remote control capability I could easily have lived with the BHA-1 as a preamp.  3 inputs are all I need, and the sound is fantastic.

rob80b

« Reply #1286 on: 14 Oct 2021, 03:15 pm »
I didn't need the gain reduction for my headphones. It was only after connecting it to the 3B.  The output from the speakers with volume at the 9:00 position was not what one would expect, and that was with the gain switch down on the 3B.

If it wasn't for lack of remote control capability I could easily have lived with the BHA-1 as a preamp.  3 inputs are all I need, and the sound is fantastic.

Guess it all depends on listening habits and the speaker's sensitivity, my Dyns are at 87dB and usually moderately loud listening levels otherwise, if I need to lower the volume its headphones for me.  :D

Highendfool

• It is what you think.
« Reply #1287 on: 18 Oct 2021, 01:30 am »

Thanks! Missed that 🙃

Twiga

« Reply #1288 on: 19 Oct 2021, 03:47 am »
This is in reference to Leong's earlier post suggesting a method of using the volume control in the BDA3 to remotely control the volume to headphones via the BHA-1. I remember that the MM used to have a digital volume control, but we were advised that using it to diminish volume would reduce the bit-depth of the sound. Is that also true when using the digital volume control in the BDA3 to remotely adjust BHA-1 volume level?  :scratch:

R. Daneel

« Reply #1289 on: 20 Oct 2021, 04:52 pm »
This is in reference to Leong's earlier post suggesting a method of using the volume control in the BDA3 to remotely control the volume to headphones via the BHA-1. I remember that the MM used to have a digital volume control, but we were advised that using it to diminish volume would reduce the bit-depth of the sound. Is that also true when using the digital volume control in the BDA3 to remotely adjust BHA-1 volume level?  :scratch:

As far as I know, yes. However, the loss of bits might not be as severe as most people think. The AKM DAC is a 32 bit architecture and given the practical dynamic range of 21 bits of most DACs, you still have 11 bits 'extra' which translates to rozghtly 66 dB. That means you can reduce the level by 66 dB before noticing any loss of quality and at that level, you probably wouldn't be able to notice it anyway. That being said, I really dislike digital volume controls. All arguments aside, one is for certain - one wrong tap on the tablet and your headphones are on fire.