BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER

rob80b

Re: BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER
« Reply #1320 on: 18 Jun 2022, 11:24 am »
Hi!

The male XLR connectors are optional, it doesn't mean the specimen shown was a prototype..............
Cheers!
Antun

Wasn't quite in production at that point.....
Hi Folks

Just want to give you an update and an apology.  ........ we built 6 prototypes that we have used at shows .....
James

Then finally......
Hi Folks,

Looks like we will be starting production on the Bryston Headphone Amp starting next week - here is a shot of the 'inners' circuitry of the final version.

james

R. Daneel

« Reply #1321 on: 18 Jun 2022, 11:31 am »
Wasn't quite in production at that point.....
Then finally......

Thanks, Rob!

Cheers - Antun

rob80b

« Reply #1322 on: 18 Jun 2022, 11:50 am »
Finding that I'm using the closed back AKG K872s more often then the Sennheiser HD800S and HD660S thought I'd let the 660s go and added a second pair of closed back, but one with a completely different perspective and presentation than the AKGs, the Focal Elegia..... took a little while for me to warm up to them but finding they complement each very well and the BHA-1 does a stellar job on both. 

Picked up a balanced cable for the Focal, overkill for a 32ohm phone.... but ...this way I can have the K872s plugged in simultaneously.  :D

R. Daneel

« Reply #1323 on: 18 Jun 2022, 01:13 pm »
Finding that I'm using the closed back AKG K872s more often then the Sennheiser HD800S and HD660S thought I'd let the 660s go and added a second pair of closed back, but one with a completely different perspective and presentation than the AKGs, the Focal Elegia..... took a little while for me to warm up to them but finding they complement each very well and the BHA-1 does a stellar job on both. 

Picked up a balanced cable for the Focal, overkill for a 32ohm phone.... but ...this way I can have the K872s plugged in simultaneously.  :D

OK now, how about a few words regarding the sound of the BHA-1 and Elegia? ;)

Cheers,
Antun

rob80b

« Reply #1324 on: 18 Jun 2022, 02:48 pm »
OK now, how about a few words regarding the sound of the BHA-1 and Elegia? ;)

Cheers,
Antun

Well the Elegia is 32ohm so more than enough power even on low gain but like many low impedance phones, think Grado, they like current and that's where the advantage comes from adding the BHA-1 over an output from a portable device or smaller amp.  Even though the Elegia was designed for portable operation a powerful amp with clean power keeps the  Elegia drivers under control, (Focal changed membrane thickness from 75 to 110 microns on their closed back models), especially with regards to high and low frequencies. With the help of the BHA-1 base is extended and full, while higher frequencies remain glare free with zero sibilance, two often quoted short comings, the closest I can think from personal experiences is that the Elegia is like a souped up closed back Sennheiser HD650.

With regards to comparing the K872 to the Elegia, the AKG IMHO are extremely linear, with the 872 the sound stage is usually at arms length and spread out (quite good for a closed back) in a coherent fashion, similar to the HD800 but the AKG having more perceived depth and better defined separation, same goes for the frequency balance...the Elegia on the other hand brings the performance into one's head, there is some sound-stage width but there is the impression of everything being overlapped, fuller and up front, so an overall more intimate performance. Thanks to the drivers in the Focal, maybe with the help of the BHA-1   8), do keep everything distinct and clean so one can clearly hear the separation between instruments and performers so that the sound is never a messy blob.

R. Daneel

« Reply #1325 on: 18 Jun 2022, 03:10 pm »
Well the Elegia is 32ohm so more than enough power even on low gain but like many low impedance phones, think Grado, they like current and that's where the advantage comes from adding the BHA-1 over an output from a portable device or smaller amp.  Even though the Elegia was designed for portable operation a powerful amp with clean power keeps the  Elegia drivers under control, (Focal changed membrane thickness from 75 to 110 microns on their closed back models), especially with regards to high and low frequencies. With the help of the BHA-1 base is extended and full, while higher frequencies remain glare free with zero sibilance, two often quoted short comings, the closest I can think from personal experiences is that the Elegia is like a souped up closed back Sennheiser HD650.

With regards to comparing the K872 to the Elegia, the AKG IMHO are extremely linear, with the 872 the sound stage is usually at arms length and spread out (quite good for a closed back) in a coherent fashion, similar to the HD800 but the AKG having more perceived depth and better defined separation, same goes for the frequency balance...the Elegia on the other hand brings the performance into one's head, there is some sound-stage width but there is the impression of everything being overlapped, fuller and up front, so an overall more intimate performance. Thanks to the drivers in the Focal, maybe with the help of the BHA-1   8), do keep everything distinct and clean so one can clearly hear the separation between instruments and performers so that the sound is never a messy blob.

Thanks very much, Rob!

Wow, if the Elegia is a souped-up HD650 as you say, then that’s high praise indeed! I am intrigued. I didn’t know about the increased thickness of the diaphragms/domes on closed-back Focal cans. Were you specifically opting for a closed-back to shut out external noise or do you simply like the sound of them?

Also, I can tell you like the K872 a lot and actually find them superior to the HD800 In some respects, namely the linearity. This headphone alongside its open-backed cousin, the K812, is a polarising one – some people hate it, the others love it. The professional reviews have been nothing but negative and yet, it is one of the most highly regarded cans on internet stores like Thomann, more so than the usual suspects like Audeze LCD-X which, BTW, I don’t like at all and find significantly inferior to the LCD-2 Classic.

You are absolutely right about the Grado headphones. Even though everything indicates they should “sing” with a low-powered source, that is simply not the case and even the SR-60 will blossom when paired with a decently powerful amplifier. The BHA-1 does make it sing.

Cheers,
Antun

rob80b

« Reply #1326 on: 18 Jun 2022, 04:48 pm »
Thanks very much, Rob!

Wow, if the Elegia is a souped-up HD650 as you say, then that’s high praise indeed! I am intrigued. I didn’t know about the increased thickness of the diaphragms/domes on closed-back Focal cans. Were you specifically opting for a closed-back to shut out external noise or do you simply like the sound of them?

Also, I can tell you like the K872 a lot and actually find them superior to the HD800 In some respects, ...........
Cheers,
Antun

Funny, over the years I've owned a HD650 3 times and also the HD6XX but sold them always for the same reason, they were never engaging enough for my personal tastes. That opinion changed with the HD660S but with the HD800 and K872s around they were gathering dust. Still the later 2 with their superb technicalities are a bit stand offish with some recordings and genres of music and as I still require some sound isolation thought, after reading numerous user reviews, I'd give a Focal closed back a try to recapture some of that intimacy.

With regards to Focal's driver for their closed back.
https://www.focal.com/sites/www.focal.fr/files/shared/catalog/document/stellia-elegia_whitepaper.pdf

Yes I do really like the K872 and the 812s for that matter, oddly there are only a hand full of negative reviews on the K812 due to their measurements but they get repeated ad nauseam and probably by many that have never owned them. Now having said that, the presentation of the K872s is rather quite unique, always reminds me of getting a direct feed from a studio or monitoring a performance directly and may not be appreciated by all .... and I can easily see why the Sennheiser HD6xx series have a long time following. Maybe it's from all time spent in my own studio but the AKG K812/872 tick more than a few boxes for me, and while the HD800 series are a great sounding phone, relatively speaking they can come across a bit too ambiguous with less layering and depth.
Technically IMHO I believe the BHA-1 brings out the best of all these phones, but as the saying goes "garbage in garbage............  :thumb:

R. Daneel

« Reply #1327 on: 19 Jun 2022, 11:19 am »
Funny, over the years I've owned a HD650 3 times and also the HD6XX but sold them always for the same reason, they were never engaging enough for my personal tastes. That opinion changed with the HD660S but with the HD800 and K872s around they were gathering dust. Still the later 2 with their superb technicalities are a bit stand offish with some recordings and genres of music and as I still require some sound isolation thought, after reading numerous user reviews, I'd give a Focal closed back a try to recapture some of that intimacy.

With regards to Focal's driver for their closed back.
https://www.focal.com/sites/www.focal.fr/files/shared/catalog/document/stellia-elegia_whitepaper.pdf

Yes I do really like the K872 and the 812s for that matter, oddly there are only a hand full of negative reviews on the K812 due to their measurements but they get repeated ad nauseam and probably by many that have never owned them. Now having said that, the presentation of the K872s is rather quite unique, always reminds me of getting a direct feed from a studio or monitoring a performance directly and may not be appreciated by all .... and I can easily see why the Sennheiser HD6xx series have a long time following. Maybe it's from all time spent in my own studio but the AKG K812/872 tick more than a few boxes for me, and while the HD800 series are a great sounding phone, relatively speaking they can come across a bit too ambiguous with less layering and depth.
Technically IMHO I believe the BHA-1 brings out the best of all these phones, but as the saying goes "garbage in garbage............  :thumb:

Hi Rob!

That’s really interesting! I have had the HD650 as well and sold them for the same reason you did. Now, as I grow older, I wonder whether I should have done that. At the time, I bought the original T1 from Beyerdynamic. I was using tube amplifiers at the time and the combination was rather magical so I didn’t think I was missing the HD650. I was helping out a local manufacturer of tube amplifiers but there was an incident and the T1 was destroyed by DC offset from one of the amplifiers. It was never repaired to my satisfaction so for a while I was without a headphone. I then bought an HD800 and really never looked back. I find the BHA-1/HD800 combination exhilarating and find the BHA-1 an ideal amplifier to power the HD800.

My first real quality headphone was an AKG so I’ve been admiring the brand for around 20 years. Over the years I’ve learned to trust my ears which, with all the nonchalance and pretend-know-how with the large majority of reviewers out there, seems to be the thing to do. The hassle though is the difficulty of trying before you buy and there really isn’t a way for me to try a K812 whichis something I would really like to do.

I have 10 pairs of new-old-stock K135 cans which I got from a neighbour who didn’t know what to do with them and now, I don’t know what to do with them. The padding is all gone and has turned into goo but I’ve had the speakers unsoldered, thoroughly cleaned them, soldered the speakers back with a Cardas solder and purchased and installed new padding. They’re very difficult to drive but to my ears, they exhibit all the qualities I find so attractive with vintage AKG phones. A friend of mine, the frontman of a very successful band in Croatia, asked for a pair because he finds them well-suited for vocals. I am not surprised because this exactly what I like the old AKG stuff for. They look a bit weird but in this day and age, weird is considered cool again.

As for the Elegia, were you able to purchase it new? Is It still available? I have never heard a Focal headphone so can you please say a few words regarding its dynamics compared to the K872?

Also, you mentioned you own a studio. May I ask what kind of production do you do and if you do it to make a living or as an amateur?

Cheers,
Antun

rob80b

« Reply #1328 on: 19 Jun 2022, 03:48 pm »
Hi Rob!

.......... The hassle though is the difficulty of trying before you buy and there really isn’t a way for me to try a K812 whichis something I would really like to do.

As for the Elegia, were you able to purchase it new? Is It still available? I have never heard a Focal headphone so can you please say a few words regarding its dynamics compared to the K872?

Also, you mentioned you own a studio. May I ask what kind of production do you do and if you do it to make a living or as an amateur?

Cheers,
Antun

Hi Antun

I'll try not to get too long winded..... :popcorn:

Yes try before you buy is always is always ideal but problematic, especially today...luckily I was able to borrow a pair of K812s for a few weeks, but that was just after I picked up my HD800S in 2016...I was expecting the worst but came away wishing I had gotten the AKGs instead.  :scratch: So I had a relatively good idea what to expect with the K872.
Depending on where you are located Amazon UK currently have the K812 for a reasonable price, and as they can ship to Canada without VAT I've been tempted.
But even though I really like them is not any indication they have global acceptance ... YMMV ... lol

Focal, relatively speaking, are new to the headphone world, starting in 2012,  AKG started with headphones in 1949 and Sennheiser 1972 and both have a long history of diaphragm development for microphones prior to doing their headsets, so basically a new kid on the block.   I did manage to audition the Utopia but for their asking price was not overly impressed and preferred the HD800S and the K812s for that matter.

Recently wanting a second closed back to compliment the K872s the Elegia was a curiosity and I was able to pick them up locally from a gentleman who gave them literally an hour of use as he preferred his IEMs, so basically new, they were a silly price so thought I'd give them a go.
Initially I agreed with his impressions and had a bit of buyer's remorse but after a few days the phones really did change (controversial of course), opened up completely, lost their edginess and the sound-stage improved, even Focal state in their manual a minimal 24 hr break-in. 
For a closed phone they are completely different from the AKG K872, more akin to having 2 speakers placed on either side of the head, which they are, compared to their other phones Focal did some revisions to the driver and cup but the AKG IMHO are a much more sophisticated endeavour and sound more opened backed than closed. Oddly, Focal remind me of my past Grados even though design wise they are totally different. Both phones are relatively dynamic but the Elegia are more up front, the AKG can step back but show their presence when needed.
The Elegia has been discontinued and replaced by the Celestee but are still widely available and for about 1/2 or less their original pricing.
To be honest though.. I'm a bit out of the headphone loop, and probably an old stick in the mud with my AKGs and Sennheisers...brand loyalty brand and all that, I'm happy with them but there are quite a few new offerings out there..still undecided with Focal as they have stiff competition with the much more affordable Sennheiser HD600 series, the closed back Elegia is the odd man out.

As for studio work, starting doing tape manipulation, Music Concrete prior to going to University in the early 70s and later I had my own small electronic music studio as an Electro-Acoustic music composer. Did some on-site recording for small jazz and performance groups, so not really commercial work.
Should note, got my first Bryston 2BLP back then to power my studio monitors...and the 2BLP pro prior to the BHA-1 also did a great job of bringing the  K240DF (my first AKG 1977) and K501's headphones  to life..... way back when.

...as for your K135s...always fun acquiring old new stock of something.

R. Daneel

« Reply #1329 on: 19 Jun 2022, 06:10 pm »
Hi Antun

I'll try not to get too long winded..... :popcorn:

Yes try before you buy is always is always ideal but problematic, especially today...luckily I was able to borrow a pair of K812s for a few weeks, but that was just after I picked up my HD800S in 2016...I was expecting the worst but came away wishing I had gotten the AKGs instead.  :scratch: So I had a relatively good idea what to expect with the K872.
Depending on where you are located Amazon UK currently have the K812 for a reasonable price, and as they can ship to Canada without VAT I've been tempted.
But even though I really like them is not any indication they have global acceptance ... YMMV ... lol

Focal, relatively speaking, are new to the headphone world, starting in 2012,  AKG started with headphones in 1949 and Sennheiser 1972 and both have a long history of diaphragm development for microphones prior to doing their headsets, so basically a new kid on the block.   I did manage to audition the Utopia but for their asking price was not overly impressed and preferred the HD800S and the K812s for that matter.

Recently wanting a second closed back to compliment the K872s the Elegia was a curiosity and I was able to pick them up locally from a gentleman who gave them literally an hour of use as he preferred his IEMs, so basically new, they were a silly price so thought I'd give them a go.
Initially I agreed with his impressions and had a bit of buyer's remorse but after a few days the phones really did change (controversial of course), opened up completely, lost their edginess and the sound-stage improved, even Focal state in their manual a minimal 24 hr break-in. 
For a closed phone they are completely different from the AKG K872, more akin to having 2 speakers placed on either side of the head, which they are, compared to their other phones Focal did some revisions to the driver and cup but the AKG IMHO are a much more sophisticated endeavour and sound more opened backed than closed. Oddly, Focal remind me of my past Grados even though design wise they are totally different. Both phones are relatively dynamic but the Elegia are more up front, the AKG can step back but show their presence when needed.
The Elegia has been discontinued and replaced by the Celestee but are still widely available and for about 1/2 or less their original pricing.
To be honest though.. I'm a bit out of the headphone loop, and probably an old stick in the mud with my AKGs and Sennheisers...brand loyalty brand and all that, I'm happy with them but there are quite a few new offerings out there..still undecided with Focal as they have stiff competition with the much more affordable Sennheiser HD600 series, the closed back Elegia is the odd man out.

As for studio work, starting doing tape manipulation, Music Concrete prior to going to University in the early 70s and later I had my own small electronic music studio as an Electro-Acoustic music composer. Did some on-site recording for small jazz and performance groups, so not really commercial work.
Should note, got my first Bryston 2BLP back then to power my studio monitors...and the 2BLP pro prior to the BHA-1 also did a great job of bringing the  K240DF (my first AKG 1977) and K501's headphones  to life..... way back when.

...as for your K135s...always fun acquiring old new stock of something.

Thanks so much, Rob, for not restraining yourself! 😉 Hey, I get carried away too!

Onto your priceless comments regarding the K812, now I have to try them!

Your enthusiasm reminded me of my own when I first saw and heard the Audeze headphones, here in Croatia. Though the staff was a bit unfriendly, I didn’t let that ruin my afternoon so I took my time and listened to the LCD-2 Classic, LCD-X and LCD-3 (precisely in that order) for a good two hours. I was pleased with the sound of the LCD-2 Classic as the sheer size of those diaphragms made them sound big and powerful. Even though I was listening to them through their Marantz headphone amp / DAC and with their choice of music, it was clear the detail retrieval wasn’t as good as on my home system (BHA-1/HD800). But I wasn’t looking for more of the same, just something vastily different, which the LCD-2 Classic certainly was. I was really excited and full of anticipation what the next one up, the LCD-X, would bring. It, to my disbelief, was a complete and utter disappointment! I just didn’t know what all those reviewers were talking about, hot this headphone is the ideal reference and an HD800 equal etc. It simply wasn’t. Midrange and top end were ridiculously over-done and riddled with grain. Absolutely terrible. The LCD-3 was an improvement on the LCD-2 Classic, with a more balanced set of features, like the liquid and lovely midrange. The LCD-X wasn’t even a contender and it was one of the biggest disappointments in HIFI that I have experienced.

So, now I’m thinking that, like you, I am different in some way and that I should not necessarily believe what the reviewers are saying and should simply try the K812 out myself instead of discounting them because a reviwer said it wasn't good. Perhaps the fact we have an actual music background accounts for something in this respect but whatever the case may be, I am less and less keen on trustung the reviewers. I really need to find a way to try the K812 out.

Unfortunately, it won’t be through Amazon.co.uk because after Brexit, all goods imported from the UK are subject to VAT and a world of trouble with the customs. I will check with an audio-visual distributor from whom I’ve bought before.

Is your K812/K872 an Austrian or Slovakian-made model?

The Elegia sounds like an interesting headphone too. It’s interesting that you do not find it more dynamic than the K872, just more up-front. I would agree that this is certainly a description that fits a Grado headphone, at least the on-ear models. I find that even HD800 can display excellent dynamics when paired with excellent amplification.

I really like the fact you have some experience with recording of small jazz ensembles and electronic music. I suppose you used open-reel tape for recording back then, right?

I remember you showing your 2BLP connected to your BHA-1 to drive AKG headphones! I am very familiar with the K240DF – some of the flattest and colourless (for better of worse) cans this world has ever seen! They’re notoriously hard to drive but can sound remarkably good if properly powered. I have never heard a K501 and to this day regret not buying a pair while they were still sold in stores – too much money for an engineering student back in 2005. The “burn-in” issue is a rather interesting one. While I cannot vouch for the Elegia, I can say with certainty that a K701 changes so dramatically that it sounds like a different headphone after 200 or 300 hours of continuous playback. The thing about the K701 is that it is unusually hard to drive which you could never tell just by looking at the specs. Like always, the “secret” is in the inner workings and the flat-wire voice-coils which is a similar assembly being used in ATC speakers. They too are a lot hungrier for power and like the AKG, require a period of adjustment to sound proper. The K701 is unusually well-suited for really loud playback which is again to the voice-coils which, apart from being densely wound, are clearly larger in diameter as well so the chance of them overheating is lower. Like you say, AKG knows their stuff. Those guys hold something like 60 patents in the field of electroacoustics and I learned a bunch just by reading through their whitepaper.

So, here’s to getting carried away!!

Cheers,
Antun

rob80b

« Reply #1330 on: 19 Jun 2022, 08:03 pm »
Thanks so much, Rob, for not restraining yourself! 😉 Hey, I get carried away too!

Onto your priceless comments regarding the K812, now I have to try them!

So, here’s to getting carried away!!

Cheers,
Antun

Hopefully you do get a chance to hear them, while the K872 do remind me of the K812, they are a closed back and if not sealing correctly will not sound their best.
An affordable alternative if you are not aware, the crew from AKG's Vienna location after it was closed down formed Austrian Audio.
https://austrian.audio/
I'd be interested in hearing their Hi-X65 and Hi-X60 as from reviews they may be similar to the K812 and K872s which they had a hand in developing and I like their portability.

As for the Focal, I find this young lad (although not agreeing with all he has to say)...has a good grasp on describing them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IE9Tzr7K7yk

vlach

« Reply #1331 on: 19 Jun 2022, 08:24 pm »
All this talk about the K812 makes me want to hear it, however i already own the HD800 and T1. The word is these two headphones overlap the K812 in many respects.

rob80b

« Reply #1332 on: 21 Jun 2022, 12:36 pm »
All this talk about the K812 makes me want to hear it, however i already own the HD800 and T1. The word is these two headphones overlap the K812 in many respects.

Hi Vlach

With the HD800 and T1 I think you have the basis covered, my recent conversation on the K812 was only because I recently picked up the closed back K872s as I wanted an option for when an opened back was not appropriate for proper listening but technically on the same level as my HD800S. Yes they are different but both satisfying in their own way. Funny hobby though and relative to owning high end speakers, high end headphones appear somewhat affordable so it's easier to scratch an itch, or add a different sound for when in the mood, which is where my new Focal Elegia come in as a replacement to my Sennheiser HD660S.  I've not had an interest in switching out the BHA-1 though. :thumb:

rob80b

« Reply #1333 on: 22 Jun 2022, 03:16 pm »

In case you haven't paid Head-fi a visit.....
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/akg-k812-pro.685339/page-17#post-10070290

R. Daneel

« Reply #1334 on: 22 Jun 2022, 04:06 pm »
Hopefully you do get a chance to hear them, while the K872 do remind me of the K812, they are a closed back and if not sealing correctly will not sound their best.
An affordable alternative if you are not aware, the crew from AKG's Vienna location after it was closed down formed Austrian Audio.
https://austrian.audio/
I'd be interested in hearing their Hi-X65 and Hi-X60 as from reviews they may be similar to the K812 and K872s which they had a hand in developing and I like their portability.

As for the Focal, I find this young lad (although not agreeing with all he has to say)...has a good grasp on describing them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IE9Tzr7K7yk

Hi Rob!

Oh, I’d say that the Austrian Audio fellas had more than a hand in the development of the K812! Sure, the HI-X65 looks rather nice.

Is your K812 made in Austria or somewhere else?

I had a long chat with the fellow who did that video several months ago. He did an interview with top managers from Sennheiser and Sonova (a Swiss company that now owns Sennheiser’s consumer division). This was right after Sonova/Sennheiser let off hundreds of people even though the official stories were completely different! This guy, the reviewer, did not ask a single question that mattered. For someone who pretends to be an industry insider and an objective source of information, as any decent HIFI writer (and I’m stressing the word “writer” here), the interview seemed like a friggin’ sponsored ad for Sonova and Sennheiser. He was furous when I pointed out to his failure to ask the questions that mattered to the end consumers, even though the customers might not be aware of those questions. Questions like why he didn’t ask them about the closedown of Sennheiser’s customer support centre in Zimbagasse, Vienna. Some fifty people were laid off there and hundreds more elsewhere. As a writer, his dedication to the truth should be uncompromised but, as things stand, I told him the only thing he will ever be famous for is his uselessness. Sorry, but I know BS when I see it and I have no tolerance for it, no matter who it is.

Cheers,
Antun

R. Daneel

« Reply #1335 on: 22 Jun 2022, 04:11 pm »

Hi vlach!

People did say I’d be a good salesman! 😉

You’re probably right on overlapping. Which generation of the T1 do you have, vlach?

Cheers,
Antun

rob80b

« Reply #1336 on: 22 Jun 2022, 06:36 pm »
Hi Rob!

Is your K812 made in Austria or somewhere else?

I had a long chat with the fellow who did that video several months ago. ........
........ Sorry, but I know BS when I see it and I have no tolerance for it, no matter who it is.

Cheers,
Antun

Hi Antun

Don't currently own the K812 just the K872 but the 812 that I did borrow where made in Slovakia.

Really don't follow many of the reviewers on Utube, just hearing people jumping on the bandwagon going on about a product, any product to hopefully make a dime from the amount of hits or referrals.

Yep a lot of BS around..the ones that get me are those that vehemently trash a product and then the minions that never even tried the product carry the flag.
Ok there are products that just miss the mark but even the lower end stuff these days is rather quite good. If a product is not to your liking just move on, life is just too short. But sure if one really likes a product, speak up, but IMHO no reason to drag a product, the company and employees through the mud.
Back at the beginning even Bryston were shunned by some as they came from the pro market and considered not suitable for "Hi-Fi", decades later some still quote that  :| ....but back in the 80s my first 2BLP somehow made it from the studio to  the living room replacing my Maranz amp  "Different strokes for different folks":lol:

sep297

« Reply #1337 on: 15 Aug 2022, 05:06 pm »
Hi,

Some advice needed, I have my 'Headphone/office' system which currently comprises a BDA-3.14, BHA-1 and a Naim NAP100 power amp soon to be retired for a Bryston 4B3, then Mission QX speakers.

I don't suppose there is any way of getting the 12V triggers to switch all of this on and then manually switch off the 4B3 when using my headphones. The 4B3 seems to be the only one with a trigger output the other two are inputs so manually switching that off would switch it all off.

I do have one of those Emotiva 12V hubs spare if that would help to split any signals.

Many Thanks

Stuart

NekoAudio

• Industry Participant
    • Neko Audio LLC
« Reply #1338 on: 15 Aug 2022, 06:23 pm »
Some advice needed, I have my 'Headphone/office' system which currently comprises a BDA-3.14, BHA-1 and a Naim NAP100 power amp soon to be retired for a Bryston 4B3, then Mission QX speakers.

I don't suppose there is any way of getting the 12V triggers to switch all of this on and then manually switch off the 4B3 when using my headphones. The 4B3 seems to be the only one with a trigger output the other two are inputs so manually switching that off would switch it all off.

I do have one of those Emotiva 12V hubs spare if that would help to split any signals.

The BDA-3.14 and BHA-1 have trigger IN, the 4B3 has a trigger IN with a pass-through to trigger OUT. Turning on the 4B3 manually with the rear switch set to LOCAL does not enable trigger OUT.

I believe you can do what you want by connecting the Emotiva ET-3 trigger OUT to the 3.14 and BHA-1, and leaving the 4B3 on LOCAL for manual on/off from the front power button. Then set the ET-3 to enable trigger OUT when it is plugged in / receives power.

sep297

« Reply #1339 on: 16 Aug 2022, 04:21 pm »
I believe you can do what you want by connecting the Emotiva ET-3 trigger OUT to the 3.14 and BHA-1, and leaving the 4B3 on LOCAL for manual on/off from the front power button. Then set the ET-3 to enable trigger OUT when it is plugged in / receives power.

Thanks, that makes sense use the Emotiva to create the trigger voltage as the others are only inputs.