Crossover assembly 101

Danny Richie

Re: Crossover assembly 101
« Reply #260 on: 1 Jan 2021, 04:40 pm »
Does anyone have any insight into specifically the Klipsch rp-504c crossover upgrade? I am a newbie at DIYing speakers so would appreciate any help. Is there anything that I need to know with this speaker such as reverse polarity tweater? I also am not sure which ends end up going to which speaker seeing as how it's a 2.5 way speaker design. Thanks in advance for any help.

The upgrade kit that we offer will answer all of those questions.

Lebo

« Reply #261 on: 3 Jan 2021, 06:48 pm »
Hi.  This is a first time practice layout for a Encore X-CS.  Does this looks correct?  I noticed in one section of the X-LS crossover video that Danny bundled the resistor, Sonicap, and mills capacitor all together.  Could I do that to tighten things up or are there only specific situations when that is OK?  Thanks.

Danny Richie

« Reply #262 on: 3 Jan 2021, 09:29 pm »
Hi.  This is a first time practice layout for a Encore X-CS.  Does this looks correct?  I noticed in one section of the X-LS crossover video that Danny bundled the resistor, Sonicap, and mills capacitor all together.  Could I do that to tighten things up or are there only specific situations when that is OK?  Thanks.

What you have is correct. So long as you keep the inductors facing opposite directions then you can move everything else around as you need to.

Lebo

« Reply #263 on: 4 Jan 2021, 02:21 pm »
Thanks Danny.

Lebo

« Reply #264 on: 5 Jan 2021, 04:18 am »
Here is an Encore X-CS crossover for reference if anyone needs one.  I checked with Danny before I wired it up so it should be good.  It is my first attempt and I have another to wire up so if anyone sees any problems with this one

please let me know.

bithloman

« Reply #265 on: 29 Jan 2021, 01:38 am »
anyone able to help with mtm encore crossover? i think i have it right but i dont know where to attach the woofers to make sure the impedance is correct. is it that already taken care of with the crossover? or do i need to run them parallel? circling where to connect the speakers for mtm with tweeter would be helpful thanks!  i am not seeing any of the pictures in any of the threads i see? something wrong on my end?
Here is an Encore X-CS crossover for reference if anyone needs one.  I checked with Danny before I wired it up so it should be good.  It is my first attempt and I have another to wire up so if anyone sees any problems with this one

please let me know.
What you have is correct. So long as you keep the inductors facing opposite directions then you can move everything else around as you need to.

bithloman

« Reply #266 on: 29 Jan 2021, 01:40 am »
it wont let me post my picture for some reason. says error. file is small only 71kb

Danny Richie

« Reply #267 on: 29 Jan 2021, 02:02 am »
Email it over to me.

bithloman

« Reply #268 on: 29 Jan 2021, 04:15 am »
email sent thanks

stiuskr

« Reply #269 on: 9 Mar 2021, 11:06 pm »
My crossover kit for the RP8000f arrived today and have questions about the binding posts. Started disassembling mainly to see what's inside, how much room I have to work with and what needs scraped down but I can't remove the binding post inner nuts with out fearing I'll strip out the plastic lock lugs on the other end, which I still need to use for now because of the tubes in the kit (ordered a tube/banana 24 cable kit the other day, hope it arrives soon so I can carry on). The nuts look like they're nylon locking and you can only get a few turns in before the plastic lug siezes up and I afraid it'll strip. Any workarounds or can I put a wrench on the lock lugs and it'll be OK?
Also I'm not sure about where I'll place the tube connectors on the back panel. There's no room for them on the binding post plate and the rear sub port is only a half inch or so above that. Right now I'm looking at discarding the post panel altogether and cut some wood to replace it as I have no plans or needs to bi-amp it.

Nebander

« Reply #270 on: 2 Apr 2021, 08:48 pm »
Hello Danny and the gang.

I have an issue with figuring out the highpass and bandpass section of this Jamo Classic 8 crossover. Crossover is 3-way (or 2.5 way?) with bi-wiring.

Could someone help out to point out the terminal +- and speaker +- in this layout?

Does GR Research have a ready crossover kit that would work as an upgrade to this thing? Relocating and repositioning the mid inductor should be the first thing to do right?

I hope that this forum thread is suitable for the post.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #271 on: 3 Apr 2021, 10:57 am »
Only thing i can say is that your inductors need to be re arranged.
As they're layed out now, they'll create lots of interference with one another.

Here's a handy guide on how to best rearrange them.

Ill let everyone else speak to the rest of the issues.
« Last Edit: 3 Apr 2021, 01:00 pm by Hobbsmeerkat »

Nebander

« Reply #272 on: 3 Apr 2021, 11:48 am »
Thanks Hobbs,

I'm gonna start by separating the high and mid circuit from the low side. So I'll get much more space for inductors.

Then I'm going to replace resistors with Mundorf M-Resist 5W 4.7 Ohm and remove the tweeter protect varistor.

What do you guys know about these yellow MDL caps? They are manufactured in late 1990, early 2000.

Shives

• I like French fries
« Reply #273 on: 3 Apr 2021, 12:55 pm »
Hobbs!!! My buddy! Lol.

So, that’s an awesome chart about the inductors! This is very important for placement! Think of these things as a producing a force field of interruption when sitting the wrong way! Hobbs photo will show you exactly how to place them! Again, very important step! Normally I always lay one down.. and the other is a couple inches away, and I make sure it can roll into or roll away!

This way the magnetic force fields are opposing Each other and not interfering with each other. Magnetic fields cause issues!

Umm, the wire you are using!? What is that exactly? I would suggest another wire that’s a bit better suited for the network. You don’t want to bottle neck your signal path.

I don’t have the schematic handy, do you? can you post that so I can see. Looks like maybe you have some caps in parallel that I would put together possibly. And that’s a lot of wire you got there.. again a I would use a better wire. Those caps seem to be a Electrolytic non Polll to which are ok.. not the best. Coils look decent quality.. That sandblock resistor needs to go, just a suggestion. Lol.
Maybe even due away with that xover board and use another so you can tie the wires and leads together without using a hole and a tiny bit of solder. Does the board have actual trace on it? (Signal path copper lines on the board) of so, I would die away with that board all together and use a simple piece of MDF. Twisting all components together then soldering.

A lot of information to take in. But this is DIY, and your learning so much more then others that just run to the store and purchase a set of speakers! Feel accomplished!!! Your doing the work! Your ears will thank you later!

Also if you can use one wire for your ground..  sadly with this photo I can’t really tell.

Shives

• I like French fries
« Reply #274 on: 3 Apr 2021, 01:04 pm »
Good morning everyone!!

I hope this is ok to post.

Figure I’ll make a quick post here... My name is Dave! I’m located in New England area.. If anyone needs help with assembly of crossover networks, or speaker builds please message me, I’m happy to help! I understand not everyone has room or ability/tools yet they want that GR sound!

I’m here to help build Danny’s products! That’s all!

Don’t be scared, don’t feel shame! Be proud your tackling such a project!

I’ve been working on, doing electronics for years.. like 25! (Happy to tell anyone my credentials if needed)  recently was lucky enough to visit Danny at his place in Texas, might be moving there soon! So, take advantage of me while you can... Wait.. Allow me to help! That’s better!

The folks are all here for the love of music, and DIY! Proud of you all for  taking on this challenge! It’s quiet rewarding.
Sorry to interrupt!

Nebander

« Reply #275 on: 3 Apr 2021, 06:40 pm »
Umm, the wire you are using!? What is that exactly? I would suggest another wire that’s a bit better suited for the network. You don’t want to bottle neck your signal path.

I don’t have the schematic handy, do you? can you post that so I can see. Looks like maybe you have some caps in parallel that I would put together possibly. And that’s a lot of wire you got there.. again a I would use a better wire. Those caps seem to be a Electrolytic non Polll to which are ok.. not the best. Coils look decent quality.. That sandblock resistor needs to go, just a suggestion. Lol.
Maybe even due away with that xover board and use another so you can tie the wires and leads together without using a hole and a tiny bit of solder. Does the board have actual trace on it? (Signal path copper lines on the board) of so, I would die away with that board all together and use a simple piece of MDF. Twisting all components together then soldering.

A lot of information to take in. But this is DIY, and your learning so much more then others that just run to the store and purchase a set of speakers! Feel accomplished!!! Your doing the work! Your ears will thank you later!

Also if you can use one wire for your ground..  sadly with this photo I can’t really tell.
Thanks Dave for the feedback. It was a brilliant idea to take this whole thing apart and place the components on a new board! 

The xover is from Jamo Classic 8 speaker. All the connection points are visible in the photo. I'm going to rewire it and change the spacing and orientation of component for better.

I first thought that it had a tweeter protect varistor in it but it seems it has 4.7ohm 5w resistor and some smaller resistor in parallel.

How can I calculate this combination and replace it with right value single resistor?

Btw I found a "schematic" for the xover from another forum.

Camtjfreak

« Reply #276 on: 4 Apr 2021, 02:49 am »

Looking to see if this is correct?.. Thanks

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #277 on: 4 Apr 2021, 02:57 am »
(Reminder to cover/obscure the values of components  :thumb:)

Camtjfreak

« Reply #278 on: 4 Apr 2021, 03:03 am »
Fixed

Shives

• I like French fries
« Reply #279 on: 4 Apr 2021, 03:17 pm »
Good advise! Any of the GR networks, make sure you cover the values before you post. Any other company, not to worried about if we are helping you make the schematic. To which I wrote out the way, but fell asleep last night. I’ll send you a PM. Nebander