« Last Edit: 12 Jan 2013, 07:07 pm by WireNut »

mikeeastman

Re: Your first concert, year, age
« Reply #21 on: 12 Jan 2013, 06:06 pm »
Ray Charles ,1958, 10 yrs old

Berto

« Reply #22 on: 12 Jan 2013, 06:26 pm »
Devo at Radio City Music Hall 1981 Halloween eve. I was 12. It was a freak show considering the holiday, but I enjoyed it. I ESP liked the pre concert video of "Whip It" with one of the band members whipping the clothes off a pretty girl  :o

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #23 on: 12 Jan 2013, 06:36 pm »
Rush was my first concert......'76 in Edmonton Canada.
I'll never forget that kit......it was huge.
I was 16.

My daughters first concert was about 5yrs ago when she was 10
It was Avril Lavigne....I thought she would enjoy it.
When the music started she cupped her ears.....15min later we were leaving.
She didnt like it at all.....

That night i thought about DNA testing...... :wink:

ZENTISH

« Reply #24 on: 12 Jan 2013, 06:44 pm »
Hi,  My first concert was "the Seeds" performing "Pushin' Too Hard" at the Las Vegas convention center in 1966, I was 14 yrs old.

Tish

medium jim

« Reply #25 on: 12 Jan 2013, 06:53 pm »
Hi,  My first concert was "the Seeds" performing "Pushin' Too Hard" at the Las Vegas convention center in 1966, I was 14 yrs old.

Tish

Wow, I lived in Las Vegas from the summer of 1964 thru spring 1967.  Lived on Colson Circle behind the Desert Inn Golf Course.  There was a combination book store and coffee shop at Vegas Village that had the best Hamburgers, lol.   Brings back many memories as a kid.  I used to sneak in to the convention center whenever there was a trade show.

Not much for kids to do, but I found things to do....

Jim

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #26 on: 12 Jan 2013, 07:15 pm »
First rock concert?  The Association, circa 1967-68, Lyric Theater, Baltimore.  I was 16-ish.  First I realized it was a show, more than just the music.

Prior to that The Clancy Brothers and Tommy Makem, same venue.  Maybe 66-67.  Was astounded that everyone in the audience knew all the words.  Except me.

wharfrat

« Reply #27 on: 12 Jan 2013, 07:27 pm »
First live concert was Hendrix, Band of Gypsys, New's Year Eve, 1969. 
Second was Grateful Dead at the Fillmore East in February, 1970.
For both I was 12 years old.
After, I didn't go to any live shows until I was 16 because my parents realized my "chaperones" were stoners. 

Chazro

« Reply #28 on: 12 Jan 2013, 07:49 pm »
I THOUGHT it was Santana/Beautiful Day in '70, but when I chk'd the Fillmore East concert listings I came across one that I THOUGHT happened afterwards but actually took place before!  Procol Harem/The Byrds in '69!  I was 16!  One can only guess why it's all a blur!;)

Chazro

« Reply #29 on: 12 Jan 2013, 07:58 pm »
Tellyawhat, anyone interested WHY old-timers KNOW the music scene was infinitely better back in the day compared to today should chk out the Fillmore East's (& West) line-ups.  The variety & depth is truly stunning!  The highest price tkt was $7.50!  It really was glorious.

http://www.fillmore-east.com/showlist.html

charmerci

« Reply #30 on: 12 Jan 2013, 08:15 pm »
It was America, 1979. I was 17.

Man, they were good. Willie Weeks is an amazing percussionist.

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #31 on: 12 Jan 2013, 08:28 pm »
Tellyawhat, anyone interested WHY old-timers KNOW the music scene was infinitely better back in the day compared to today should chk out the Fillmore East's (& West) line-ups.  The variety & depth is truly stunning!  The highest price tkt was $7.50!  It really was glorious.

http://www.fillmore-east.com/showlist.html

That goes without saying. I saw Led Zeppelin, Johnny Winter and MC5 at Boston Garden for $5 and Derek and Dominoes the day before they played the Filmore East in Philly for $5. Sat about 8' from the band. Bought the tickets the afternoon of the concerts.
No scalpers, no lines, no BS.

Doc

Stu Pitt

« Reply #32 on: 12 Jan 2013, 09:39 pm »
Slayer with Testament opening for them at the RPI Fieldhouse (Troy, NY), 1991. I was 14.  Had to lie to my mother and tell her I was going to see an RPI hockey game with my friends.  A few others had to say the same thing, as our parents thought that kind of music makes kids kill their parents.

I actually found YouTube videos of it a few months ago. 

Irwin

« Reply #33 on: 12 Jan 2013, 10:03 pm »
1965 at the age of 10,Murry the K's Christmas show at the Brooklyn Fox Theater.$2.50 admission,an LP of the previous years show and a movie.The McCoy's "Hang on Sloopy",Hannibal and the Headhunter's "Land of a Thousand Dances" and a dozen or so other acts.Been hooked ever since !

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #34 on: 12 Jan 2013, 10:15 pm »
Dan Fogelberg (I think) opening act, Hot Tuna main act Asbury Park, NJ around 1974.
I was the ripe old age of 14 and a friend's mother drove us and waited outside.
She appeared to be rather horrified by the whole experience and bought our Eric Clapton tickets from us so we wouldn't go to any more concerts! 

WC

« Reply #35 on: 12 Jan 2013, 10:36 pm »
My first concert was Rush, during their Power Windows Tour. It was during the Winter of 1986 (I think). So I would have been 15. Not real sure how I talked my parents into going. Marrillion was the opening act. They were roundly booed by the audience, who didn't appreciate the flamboyance of Fish the lead singer of Marrillion. I did run out shortly there after and pick up Marrillion's Misplaced Childhood album based on what I heard at the show.

JerryLove

« Reply #36 on: 12 Jan 2013, 10:40 pm »
Concert listened to? KWCC orchestra when I was 2-3. Concert performed in? Middle-school.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #37 on: 12 Jan 2013, 11:02 pm »
The Beach Boys at the Trocadero Ballroom, Elitch Gardens, Denver in 1964. I was 16

David C

• Don't try and lay no boogie woogie on the king
« Reply #38 on: 12 Jan 2013, 11:32 pm »
T. rex as a front for the Doobie (spelling) Brothers in 1971 my first yr at Uni
« Last Edit: 13 Jan 2013, 10:27 pm by David C »

drumzncarz

« Reply #39 on: 13 Jan 2013, 12:04 am »
The Vanilla Fudge and The Chambers Brothers 1968 White Plains County Center  - 10 years old