Your first concert, year, age

Chromisdesigns

• Darla, our beach cat, contemplating the sea
    • Fine-gemstones.com
Re: Your first concert, year, age
« Reply #40 on: 13 Jan 2013, 12:21 am »
Classical, various performances of the Washington Symphony Orchestra with my parents when I was a kid.  First pop/rock concert was Simon and Garfunkel at the Montreal World's Fair in 1967, aka "Expo '67", when I was 16.

dB Cooper

« Reply #41 on: 13 Jan 2013, 12:30 am »
Richie Havens, I was probably 16 ish. Year is classified.  :roll:

medium jim

« Reply #42 on: 13 Jan 2013, 12:48 am »

Was it somewhere between Seattle and Portland?

Jim

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #43 on: 13 Jan 2013, 12:55 am »
It was Jethro Tull at the Omni (Atlanta, GA) in 1975 and I was 15. So, it began. Later that year, I saw Pink Floyd at the Atlanta Stadium. Those were the days. :thumb:

geowak

« Reply #44 on: 13 Jan 2013, 01:15 am »
It was Santana at Blossom Music Center, OHIO. I was about 10 yrs old??? It was about 1972.
Nice outdoor concert with an unusual aroma in the air. Ha Ha

Johlke

« Reply #45 on: 13 Jan 2013, 01:17 am »
Bad Company, with Ted Nugent opening, in the old Sam Houston Coliseum in Houston around 1976 or 1977.  Good stuff!

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #46 on: 13 Jan 2013, 01:18 am »
Two things that have really changed are ticket prices and the way that you buy tickets.
It used to be you'd wait in line at the theater or at a third party vendor at a shopping mall and you could get really good seats.
Nowadays you can order the tickets within minutes of them going onsale and you get stuck about 30 rows back. 
The smell in the air has changed as well.  Kids!

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #47 on: 13 Jan 2013, 01:31 am »
Two things that have really changed are ticket prices and the way that you buy tickets.

Indeed! The prices were not only significantly less, but relative to the value of the dollar, they were far more affordable. Great seats came at the price of a night spent on the concrete awaiting the opening of the ticket office. I'll never forget the first time I spent such a night in vain - sold out before the 10th customer made it to the booth.

Now, I buy them via the internet and they are mailed to my house in a couple of weeks.

Mitsuman

• Diamond Tone Junkie
« Reply #48 on: 13 Jan 2013, 01:45 am »
Sammy Hagar, opening for Ted Nugent on the Free For All tour. Summer of 1976 and I was 14 years old.

K Shep

« Reply #49 on: 13 Jan 2013, 01:59 am »
In the SF bay area there was a concert series called Day On The Green held on the grass at the Oakland Coliseum.  I attend the show with a lineup of:

Madness
Thompson Twins
The Fixx
Oingo Boingo

The headliner was The Police.

I was 16.

orthobiz

« Reply #50 on: 13 Jan 2013, 02:06 am »
Jackson Browne opening for Dave Mason
SUNY Stony Brook
Fall 1973
Age 18

Paul

geezer

« Reply #51 on: 13 Jan 2013, 02:45 am »
Tex Beneke and the Glenn Miller band; 1948.

dB Cooper

« Reply #52 on: 13 Jan 2013, 03:02 am »
Was it somewhere between Seattle and Portland?

Jim

Nope, Baltimore.

medium jim

« Reply #53 on: 13 Jan 2013, 03:06 am »
Nope, Baltimore.

And I thought you might actually be the real DB Cooper,  :scratch:

Jim

milford3

« Reply #54 on: 13 Jan 2013, 03:17 am »
My first concert was in Trenton NJ. cica 1976.  The main act was a little known band (at the time)  RUSH.  The band had two drummers back then.  The warm up act was an up and coming guitarists named Robin Trower.

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #55 on: 13 Jan 2013, 05:23 am »
My first concert was in Trenton NJ. cica 1976.  The main act was a little known band (at the time)  RUSH.  The band had two drummers back then

:scratch:   You sure about that ?  Admittedly they often sound like they've got two drummers, but...

D.D.

tvyankee

« Reply #56 on: 13 Jan 2013, 12:52 pm »
The Grateful Dead, 1985  Long Island,

Don't remember a thing.

richidoo

« Reply #57 on: 13 Jan 2013, 03:36 pm »
1972, age 6, Sprague Hall, Yale University New Haven, CT. A jam session, the last of three concerts on the weekend that founded the Duke Ellington Fellowship at Yale University.

Ellington Orchestra, plus Dizzy Gillespie, Sonny Stitt, Cootie Williams, Jon Faddis, Max Roach, Roy Eldridge, Harry Edison, Charlie Mingus, Art Blakey, Kenny Clarke, Slam Stewart, Ella Fitzgerald, Gerry Mulligan, Stan Getz, Philly Jo Jones, Ray Brown, Eubie Blake, Mary Lou Williams, Lucky Thompson, Milt Hinton, Willie "The Lion" Smith, Marion Williams, Johnny Coles, Willie Ruff.

The highlight was Max Roach solo, crowd went apeshit, standing on the armrests screaming. He ended the tune by himself, left the stage, came back for a solo encore. I witnessed the full power of jazz that day.

Mark Korda

• Dawkus
« Reply #58 on: 13 Jan 2013, 04:55 pm »
I was a senior in high school 1974,1975.I live in Portland Me.Took a little trip north to Lewiston Me.The opener was Mahogany Rush.Then 2 bands I really had not heard of yet.Kansas,pre Dust in the Wind,promoting their debut album.Followed by this other band Queen,promoting their album Night at the Opera,stunning!Later on that year in Lewiston,no civic center in Portland yet,Bruce Springsteen debuting the Born to Run album,he played 3 1/2 hours strait no breaks...wow......Mark Korda

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #59 on: 13 Jan 2013, 05:30 pm »

At Towson State, circa 1972?