Your first concert, year, age

Scottdazzle

Re: Your first concert, year, age
« Reply #60 on: 13 Jan 2013, 05:40 pm »
Gary Lewis and the Playboys ("This Diamond Ring") in 1965 or 1966 in Minot, North Dakota. I was 12 or 13.

Johlke

« Reply #61 on: 13 Jan 2013, 06:15 pm »
My first concert was in Trenton NJ. cica 1976.  The main act was a little known band (at the time)  RUSH.  The band had two drummers back then.  The warm up act was an up and coming guitarists named Robin Trower.

I'm thinking that you're mixing up various other shows, as Rush never had two drummers.  The Doobie Brothers did, so did the Allman Brothers, but not Rush.

jriggy

« Reply #62 on: 13 Jan 2013, 07:42 pm »
Neil Diamond, 1984...with my parents. I was 14.
A few shows later, adjusting genres and preferences quickly, started me on live music / traveling hobby that lasted near 30 years of following certain bands all over this country and others, seeing the world and shows with friends.
I have been wearing ear protection for many years now though.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #63 on: 13 Jan 2013, 08:12 pm »
Thanks guys. Some of you are making me feel very young.  :thumb:

Mine was Billy Joel 1984 in St. Louis, I was 14.
If memory serves, the venue was "The Checkerdome" which has since been leveled, may it RIP.

Bob

Wasatch

« Reply #64 on: 13 Jan 2013, 08:31 pm »
My first concert was in Trenton NJ. cica 1976.  The main act was a little known band (at the time)  RUSH.  The band had two drummers back then.  The warm up act was an up and coming guitarists named Robin Trower.

I saw Robin Trower back in 1973 the Bridge of Sighs tour, I would not call him a up and coming guitarist by 1976. He played with Procol Harum for about 5-6 years before his debut album in 1973 "Twice Removed From Yesterday".

Wasatch

« Reply #65 on: 13 Jan 2013, 08:33 pm »
Can't really remember for sure, but either it was Ten Years After and Edgar Winter White Trash 1971, or Black Sabbath 1971 can't remember who else played with them that night. I was 17.
« Last Edit: 13 Jan 2013, 09:34 pm by Wasatch »

Mitsuman

• Diamond Tone Junkie
« Reply #66 on: 13 Jan 2013, 08:42 pm »

If memory serves, the venue was "The Checkerdome" which has since been leveled, may it RIP.

Bob

Youngster  :P

jriggy

« Reply #67 on: 13 Jan 2013, 08:57 pm »

Bob

Funny. That same tour stop in my town was my second live concert, just two weeks or so after my first isted above!

mark funk

« Reply #68 on: 13 Jan 2013, 08:57 pm »
I was 15 in 1969 and saw Santana, Alvin Bishop, Beautiful Day at the Santa Rosa county fair grounds.

:smoke:

florandia

« Reply #69 on: 13 Jan 2013, 09:10 pm »
Fleetwood mac 1968........I was 14........had a world war one greatcoat on {middle of July!}    i thought i was the dogs bollocks!!

TerryWI

« Reply #70 on: 13 Jan 2013, 09:55 pm »
Van Halen with opening band Screams at the Milwaukee Auditorium, Aug. 1979.  I was 16.

WireNut

« Reply #71 on: 13 Jan 2013, 10:21 pm »
My first concert was Emerson Lake & Palmer in West Virginia 1973. I was 15 years old at the time.
Brain Salad Surgery had just come out and the arena was setup for Quadraphonic sound.
Keith Emerson’s keyboards were huge with patch cords coming out everywhere.
Carl Palmers drum kit and solo were amazing.
Greg Lake’s voice and bass playing filled and bounced all around the arena with the Quad setup.
I’ll never forget that day ELP was larger than life and it seemed like it was all a big dream.

:drums:
 :guitar:
 :rock:

Tubes, patch cords, knocking over the keyboards, Quad sound, Carl Palmer, funny smell, long hair, bell bottoms.
I was never the same.

:bowdown:

vortrex

« Reply #72 on: 13 Jan 2013, 10:23 pm »
Prince, 1984, Detroit, 13 years old.

WireNut

« Reply #73 on: 13 Jan 2013, 10:26 pm »
Tubes, patch cords, knocking over the keyboards, Quad sound, Carl Palmer, funny smell, long hair, bell bottoms.
I was never the same.

After that I went to many concerts but barely remember any of them.  :smoke:

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #74 on: 13 Jan 2013, 10:59 pm »
I want to say it was Huey Lewis & the News in the summer of '84 or '85 @ Merriweather Post Pavilion in Columbia MD.  Was 12/13.  I think the Steve Miller Band was also playing.  Memory is foggy.

Family claims I heard the Beach Boys play at the National Mall for the 4th of July sometime in the 70's, but have no memory of that - and so going w/ the above as it was the 1st concert I paid for.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #75 on: 13 Jan 2013, 11:29 pm »
R&B revues at around age eleven in segregated Dallas (these shows were integrated, tho, except for the seating).  Saw a stabbing one night and several fights over time.  But, the music was just outta sight!  Those guys must have been listening to something else.  Everybody else was happy as me.
« Last Edit: 14 Jan 2013, 12:45 am by jimdgoulding »

Crimson

« Reply #76 on: 14 Jan 2013, 01:29 am »
Woodstock. Age 5.

NIGHTFALL1970

« Reply #77 on: 14 Jan 2013, 03:23 am »
IRON MAIDEN with ACCEPT at the Providence Civic Center June 1985.  15 years old.

funkmonkey

« Reply #78 on: 14 Jan 2013, 03:26 am »
Great Topic!  :thumb:

:scratch: I had to look up the date, and still I'm not sure...  I was either 8 or 10 (in '76 or '78) and my folks took us to see the Beach Boys at Pine Knob.  We sat on the lawn, brought a picnic...  I remember thinking it was cool to lay out some blankets to sit on, and my folks drinking a bottle of wine.  But the most memorable thing from that night, wasn't the music, or the picnic... it was when I wandered off by myself to the top of the hill and came across a security guy who, just as I walked up, turned his flash light down the back side of the hill to illuminate a young couple, fully naked, doin' the horizontal mambo!   :o   Yep, live music is pretty cool  :thumb:

vinyl_lady

« Reply #79 on: 14 Jan 2013, 04:14 am »
Woodstock. Age 5.

You are the winner!  :thumb: