Your first concert, year, age

rockadanny

Re: Your first concert, year, age
« Reply #80 on: 14 Jan 2013, 02:05 pm »
1970, 14/15 years old, Steppenwolf and Alice Cooper, Detroit at the Olympia (now gone, where Red Wings used to play). Sat within first 10 rows - my ears rang for days. Probably did more damage to them that night than at any other time in my life. A truly memorable event though.

Hey Freo. Bet you and I were at many of the same concerts back then.  :thumb:

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #81 on: 14 Jan 2013, 04:36 pm »
Didn't the Beatles play there in 1964 for the Ed Sullivan show?

Jim

Not sure about that. That would have been a trip.

charles

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #82 on: 14 Jan 2013, 04:42 pm »
You are the winner!  :thumb:

Wow ! Five. You had some coool parents. I was there but 18 at the time. For me since no other concert equalled that. Waking up and hearing Hendrix play the National Anthem was a trip. Janis Joplon guzzling down a pint of Southern Comfort and then bringing the house down.

charles

Crimson

« Reply #83 on: 14 Jan 2013, 04:54 pm »

Wow ! Five. You had some coool parents.

Yeah, they were a trip. Richie Havens and Santana were seared into my psyche for ever and ever.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #84 on: 14 Jan 2013, 05:30 pm »
Music from Madame Butterfly, Dallas Sym ... about age 10

jjc1

« Reply #85 on: 14 Jan 2013, 05:57 pm »
1965 at the age of 10,Murry the K's Christmas show at the Brooklyn Fox Theater.$2.50 admission,an LP of the previous years show and a movie.The McCoy's "Hang on Sloopy",Hannibal and the Headhunter's "Land of a Thousand Dances" and a dozen or so other acts.Been hooked ever since !
     The Allen Freed Rock and Roll show at the Brooklyn Paramount theater in 1956, age 13. Yeah, I'm really getting old. Knew every word to every song sung by every group and every individual performer and still do. There were probably 15 or so acts. Have no idea what the cost was but we used to go in the morning and see about three shows and 3 movies. They didn't throw you out after the first show.
  First Jazz concert,The Dave Brubeck Quartet in 1959 while I was a student at Georgetown University.
  First Rock concert was The Rolling Stones Madison Square Garden Concert on Thanksgiving, 1969. Opening acts, BB King and Ike and Tina Turner. I actually worked Security at the event. Not a bad night's work.
« Last Edit: 15 Jan 2013, 07:19 pm by jjc1 »

mikef

« Reply #86 on: 15 Jan 2013, 10:32 pm »
Mine was Blind Faith at Madison Square Garden in the Summer of 1969, when I was 15. Opening act was Delaney and Bonnie and friends. Many, many shows seen since then. What memories!

won ton on

« Reply #87 on: 15 Jan 2013, 10:50 pm »
First big concert was Emerson,Lake and Palmer at Rich stadium in Buffalo N/Y.It was in 73 or 74 ,i was 17 or 18. James gang also played can't remember who else played. We had our jean jackets filled with beer cans and there was lots of joints being passed around. I had been to other smaller concerts before that but can't remember the groups.

Freo-1

« Reply #88 on: 15 Jan 2013, 11:05 pm »
1970, 14/15 years old, Steppenwolf and Alice Cooper, Detroit at the Olympia (now gone, where Red Wings used to play). Sat within first 10 rows - my ears rang for days. Probably did more damage to them that night than at any other time in my life. A truly memorable event though.

Hey Freo. Bet you and I were at many of the same concerts back then.  :thumb:

Highly likely!  At least until 74, when I started deployments overseas for Uncle Sam.  :lol:

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #89 on: 21 Jan 2013, 10:40 pm »
cat stevens, spring of 1971 at the kennedy center concert hall in dc, i was still 14, a few months before my 15th b-day... on the same day, in the afternoon, i saw vladimir ashkenazy in the same hall.   :lol:

i had seen many classical concerts at dar constitution hall in grade school before that.

doug s.

charmerci

« Reply #90 on: 8 Feb 2013, 03:42 am »
I want to say it was Huey Lewis & the News in the summer of '84 or '85 @ Merriweather Post Pavilion in Columbia MD.  Was 12/13.  I think the Steve Miller Band was also playing.  Memory is foggy.

Family claims I heard the Beach Boys play at the National Mall for the 4th of July sometime in the 70's, but have no memory of that - and so going w/ the above as it was the 1st concert I paid for.

I know the Beach Boys played there in '76. (I was there.) But I'm pretty sure they played there a few other years too.

Merriweather Post Pavilion -  They used to have a LOT of great concerts (everyone came) there in the 70's and 80's. The covered open-air venue had fantastic sound. Saw Rickie Lee Jones (great concert), America, Pat Metheny and a few others there. I forgot all about that place.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #91 on: 8 Feb 2013, 04:05 am »
Yep!  Saw Iron Butterfly there around '69 or '70.  Great place.  Performance sucked.

Daedalus Audio

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.daedalusaudio.com
« Reply #92 on: 8 Feb 2013, 04:47 am »
I think it was Janis Joplin with Big Brother  at the Eastman Theater , '68 soon after was Jimi same theater

MttBsh

« Reply #93 on: 8 Feb 2013, 04:51 am »
Jethro Tull Seattle Center Coliseum June 1971 on Aqualung tour, opening band was Yes. I was 15. Yes was good but Tull was amazing, I went on to see all of their 70s tours, and then some.

underdawg

• Industry Participant
« Reply #94 on: 8 Feb 2013, 11:34 am »
1978 knoxville Tennessee Kiss with Judas Priest opening, 10 years old, my parents took me. :D

THROWBACK

« Reply #95 on: 8 Feb 2013, 01:35 pm »
Third year of high school, the National Symphony Orch (Washington, DC) played in our school auditorium. I can still remember that one of the pieces was Sibelius' Valse Triste. I was already leaning toward classical music, but that did it. I've been a symphony season subscriber for many years now.

GT Audio Works

« Reply #96 on: 8 Feb 2013, 03:39 pm »
It was somewhere around 1973..The Grass Roots and The Raspberries at the Capitol Theater in Passiac NJ..I was 13 my mother drove me.
                                                                                                                                                                                         Greg

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #97 on: 8 Feb 2013, 04:00 pm »
Third year of high school, the National Symphony Orch (Washington, DC) played in our school auditorium. I can still remember that one of the pieces was Sibelius' Valse Triste. I was already leaning toward classical music, but that did it. I've been a symphony season subscriber for many years now.

Almost forgot.........around 1960 a small orchestra played in our grade school gym.  We sat on the floor and the acoustics SUCKED, but I couldn't get that live string sound out of my head.  Still love the romantic symphonies because of it.   :thumb:

JDoyle

« Reply #98 on: 8 Feb 2013, 06:57 pm »
My first concert was Emerson Lake & Palmer in West Virginia 1973. I was 15 years old at the time.
Brain Salad Surgery had just come out and the arena was setup for Quadraphonic sound.
Keith Emerson’s keyboards were huge with patch cords coming out everywhere.
Carl Palmers drum kit and solo were amazing.
Greg Lake’s voice and bass playing filled and bounced all around the arena with the Quad setup.
I’ll never forget that day ELP was larger than life and it seemed like it was all a big dream.

:drums:
 :guitar:
 :rock:

Steve

Ha!  Same tour, same age, just mine was in '74 at (what was then) Rich Stadium in Bflo...  Summerfest #2 with Lynard Skynard (opening - most people had never heard of them, but Free Bird blew everyone away!), the James Gang (my first intro to Tommy Bolin) and then ELP.  I was an absolute ELP nut back then, I know in my heart that I hold the world record for listening to their albums from 70 - 76.

The show to me was beyond anything I ever hoped it would be...

~jd

won ton on

« Reply #99 on: 8 Feb 2013, 08:49 pm »
JDoyle......Man it's a small world,as i was at Rich Stadium for the same concert.We drove down from just west of Toronto.I remember that the James Gang were there but couldn't remember who opened. It sure was a good concert,we were sitting in the center of the four banks of speakers(ground level). I was and still am a huge fan of ELP.Went back the next year to see Yes and wound up leaving half way though as it was not a very good show(also can't remember who opened for that show).