Cheap and Cheerful "swarm" system?

JohnR

Re: Cheap and Cheerful "swarm" system?
« Reply #100 on: 2 Nov 2011, 10:09 am »
Cool, thanks for the link! Indicates a lot of potential with those. Look forward to hearing your thoughts after they're installed.

wushuliu

« Reply #101 on: 2 Nov 2011, 05:28 pm »
Well, here's the thing, you've had a nice system for quite some time, and in fact, you PDR have what has to be an absolutely spectacular system. You've been around this stuff.

Me, personally, I've never been in a hifi showroom, unless you count BestBuy  :green:, and everyone I know thinks spending anything over a couple hundred bucks on an Ipod or a stereo is ludicrous. So I'm hearing music at this level for the first time. If you can remember what that was like for you, hearing a real stereo, if there was a first time (your parents might have had something), you might remember being pretty gobsmacked.

I have been around some pretty nice systems though, but I feel I've already surpassed any of those remembered systems.

Part of me can't wait to be finished with this system so I can forget about audio forums, however. Way too much time reading and writing about it. But that comes with building such a system without any real experience.

Right on.

Your setup is like the bedroom scene in 2001 - in stereo!

Wish I had the space to try out Maggies. :(

SET Man

« Reply #102 on: 2 Nov 2011, 10:13 pm »
Right on.

Your setup is like the bedroom scene in 2001 - in stereo!

Wish I had the space to try out Maggies. :(

Hey!

Oh! Yeah, that's right! I remembered that scene near the end.

Sorry for being OT here, can't help it.  :lol:

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

Rclark

« Reply #103 on: 3 Nov 2011, 01:19 am »
 :green: never saw that one but that's funny!

Yeah, system is long term, the room isn't. Ideally I wanna get a motorcycle for commuting when the lease is up and get a place out of the city with a room I can dedicate.

meanwhile, its great l, I love it. I've got it to where there is no detectable difference between the sub and speakers, it does blend extremely well. Buy yeah,looking  forward to taking everything up several levels.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #104 on: 3 Nov 2011, 02:08 am »
:green: never saw that one but that's funny!

Yeah, system is long term, the room isn't. Ideally I wanna get a motorcycle for commuting when the lease is up and get a place out of the city with a room I can dedicate.

meanwhile, its great l, I love it. I've got it to where there is no detectable difference between the sub and speakers, it does blend extremely well. Buy yeah,looking  forward to taking everything up several levels.

motorcycle, eh?  that's a whole 'nother big hobby/money/time drain!   :thumb:

doug s.

Rclark

« Reply #105 on: 3 Nov 2011, 04:33 am »
Nice  :thumb:

I've had four sportbikes. Kawasaki Ninja 600 was my first, Honda CBR 600F2, Yamaha FZR 600, and CBR 900rr.

Got nothing now. After my stereo is pretty much built I wanna switch up from sportbikes and get a sporty standard like yours.

Top on my list (used): Triumph Street Triple (top choice), Honda Hornet 900, Yamaha FZ-1, Ducati Monster S2R-1000, Honda VFR 800 (top choice). Something I can put bags on.

After a couple years, when the Triumph Thunderbird (the new one, the badass one), comes down a little more in price for a used one I'm going to trade up to one of those and keep it.

PS LOVE The Supermoto  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Rclark

« Reply #106 on: 10 Nov 2011, 10:35 pm »

You know, not sure if these are C&C but the new Emotiva X-Ref 10 looks awesome!

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/speakers/subwoofers/x-ref-10/x-ref-10-build-quality

Balanced connections so you can daisy chain several of them. For the living room, I'd almost want to buy a couple, then add a couple more later down the line. And they have tons of control:

"You can adjust phase from 0 to 315 degrees in 45 degree steps while also adjusting the LPF from bypass to 40-150Hz in 1Hz step sizes.  There are two preprogrammed presets “Movie” and “Flat”.  The only difference between the two modes is “Movie” boosts the overall level.  Unfortunately you cannot edit the presets to store EQ or other setup data.  Perhaps Emotiva will expand upon this feature set in future products.

The PEQ incorporated into the X-Ref10 can come in quite handy for fine tuning system response, especially considering most A/V receiver auto-EQ’s do very little EQ’ing of the subwoofer channel.  Emotiva incorporates a two band PEQ adjustable from 25Hz to 150Hz in 1 Hz step sizes with -12dB to +3dB of gain in 1dB step sizes and a Q of 0.5 to 5.0 in 0.1 step sizes.  This is a tool all subwoofers should have and it’s quite a rare find in a product at this price point.  "

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #107 on: 10 Nov 2011, 11:27 pm »
You know, not sure if these are C&C but the new Emotiva X-Ref 10 looks awesome!

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/speakers/subwoofers/x-ref-10/x-ref-10-build-quality

Balanced connections so you can daisy chain several of them. For the living room, I'd almost want to buy a couple, then add a couple more later down the line. And they have tons of control:

"You can adjust phase from 0 to 315 degrees in 45 degree steps while also adjusting the LPF from bypass to 40-150Hz in 1Hz step sizes.  There are two preprogrammed presets “Movie” and “Flat”.  The only difference between the two modes is “Movie” boosts the overall level.  Unfortunately you cannot edit the presets to store EQ or other setup data.  Perhaps Emotiva will expand upon this feature set in future products.

The PEQ incorporated into the X-Ref10 can come in quite handy for fine tuning system response, especially considering most A/V receiver auto-EQ’s do very little EQ’ing of the subwoofer channel.  Emotiva incorporates a two band PEQ adjustable from 25Hz to 150Hz in 1 Hz step sizes with -12dB to +3dB of gain in 1dB step sizes and a Q of 0.5 to 5.0 in 0.1 step sizes.  This is a tool all subwoofers should have and it’s quite a rare find in a product at this price point.  "
one man's awesome is another man's "so-so"  three out of five stars for bass extension.  if it can't get at least 4.5 stars on bass extension, i really am not much interested in anything else, at least as far as subwoofers go.  ymmv.

if you want cheap & cheerful, drive to denver and pick up pez's four original subwoofers at $100 each - or best offer.   :green:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=100318.msg1011909#msg1011909

doug s.

Rclark

« Reply #108 on: 10 Nov 2011, 11:42 pm »
I just finished reading the review. He was able to use the Eq to get -3dB at 29hz. So good enough for music. And they are flat all the way to the moon, so they will mate with my monitors very well, looks like.

That's pretty much the only negative, if you read the review, is no 20 hz range. The reviewer was impressed by everything else about the sub and it seems to pack quite a lot for the money. Monster driver, looks well made, braced, lined non-resonant sealed box. Typical Emotiva. Corner loaded was able to get a clean 122dB. But point is, for music, you're given the control with these for a swarm.

The lack of low extension was on purpose. The reviewer states that without the HPF, it should easily go to 20hz and below with room gain. Guess they meant this to be a purely music only sub. Fine by me.

I think when these go on sale I might jump on a few for the living room.

If Pez lived in my state I'd be all over that  :lol:

Meanwhile.. waiting to see what the new GR 8" looks like (as OB main subs in the front, then, of course, the big sealed Brahma's in the back).. or just doing Brahma's OB if I can. Still just tasting the air.

WC

« Reply #109 on: 11 Nov 2011, 12:59 am »
The sub is $419 in the Emotiva Holiday Sale.

Rclark

« Reply #110 on: 11 Nov 2011, 01:28 am »
What's killing me is the Ultra 12's clearance priced at $329 with free shipping right now. That is a tough one to pass up, but it's just not my time.

Rclark

« Reply #111 on: 15 Nov 2011, 10:29 am »
What do you think of these? You get them for $300 each if you order more than one:

http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_info.php?t=0&products_id=892

-3dB is 25hz. And I've always just wanted to try an eDesign sub.

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #112 on: 15 Nov 2011, 12:30 pm »
FYI Danny's SA1 amp (149$)  works in OB setups.  I mention OBs because imo opinion sound quality is top notch (although output is down) and making one requires minimal skill and tools.  I only have one and honestly haven't considered getting another.  I have limited experience with subs.  I have an av123 x-sub and at first made my present sub in a sealed box.  The output was frightening (in a good way) but once I tried the ob set up there was no going back to a sealed box for music.  Something tells me I would really like the servos...  YMMV

Rclark

« Reply #113 on: 15 Nov 2011, 07:58 pm »
Yeah I talked to him about that. I do want to do OB, but I also want a swarm. Here are my options:

1) get the Brahma's up and running as OB's for my stereo. Buy 4 subs for the living room HT as a swarm.

2) get GR ob's (the new 8's??) and use Brahma's in sealed boxes for ultra lows in stereo, buy 4 subs for living room HT.

But there's no particular order in which I must do this. I could very well do a swarm first. I still have a month or two, maybe less, before I can bite on some sub action.

Meanwhile, those eD's look tough to beat at $600 per pair with free shipping  :o. Reading that again makes them seem just so no-brainery. They even have an EQ add-on for $85. Heck, they even sell matching isolation platforms for not a lot of coin.

I could have a high quality 4 sub swarm, with EQ, isolation, sealed, and hitting low 20's for about $1500.  :green: . That just sounds awesome.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #114 on: 17 Nov 2011, 12:38 am »
Yeah I talked to him about that. I do want to do OB, but I also want a swarm. Here are my options:

1) get the Brahma's up and running as OB's for my stereo. Buy 4 subs for the living room HT as a swarm.

2) get GR ob's (the new 8's??) and use Brahma's in sealed boxes for ultra lows in stereo, buy 4 subs for living room HT.

But there's no particular order in which I must do this. I could very well do a swarm first. I still have a month or two, maybe less, before I can bite on some sub action.

Meanwhile, those eD's look tough to beat at $600 per pair with free shipping  :o. Reading that again makes them seem just so no-brainery. They even have an EQ add-on for $85. Heck, they even sell matching isolation platforms for not a lot of coin.

I could have a high quality 4 sub swarm, with EQ, isolation, sealed, and hitting low 20's for about $1500.  :green: . That just sounds awesome.
at $1500, you are starting to talk serious money.  if i were gonna spend that much, i'd consider spending a few hundred more, and i'd be looking at four of these:
http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_info.php?products_id=681

but, to keep it relatively cheap-n-cheerful, i would look at these:
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/555-10320&green=780454388
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/555-10325&green=780454388

doug s.

Rclark

« Reply #115 on: 17 Nov 2011, 12:47 am »
 Hey Doug, may I ask which subs are you running? Are you also running a swarm or do you plan to?

I have to think that in my small room, heck, even in a large room, 4 of those tens (they do hit into the low 20's, with power apparently), and EQ'd, would be more than enough. I already get enough bass power in my room with merely one ported 10.

4 of the 12's? I thought about it. But 4 of the 10's would be just idling. 4 of the 12's would be just overkill to the point of being pointless.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #116 on: 17 Nov 2011, 01:08 am »
Hey Doug, may I ask which subs are you running? Are you also running a swarm or do you plan to?

I have to think that in my small room, heck, even in a large room, 4 of those tens (they do hit into the low 20's, with power apparently), and EQ'd, would be more than enough. I already get enough bass power in my room with merely one ported 10.

4 of the 12's? I thought about it. But 4 of the 10's would be just idling. 4 of the 12's would be just overkill to the point of being pointless.
i run a pair of the older style upright vmps larger subs, with upgraded megawoofers.  (each sub has one active 12", one active 15", and a passive 15")  they're quite large; if i get a larger space, i will definitely consider getting another pair; if not vmps', then something with at least as much low-end output.  imo, running 4 of the 12's is not at all overkill; it simply allows for more accurate musical tight low end - at any given spl/frequency, the distortion will be markedly reduced.

a pic of one of my subs:

doug s.

Rclark

« Reply #117 on: 17 Nov 2011, 07:59 am »
Never seen a sub like that one. That's impressive, a sub that seperates duties to different drivers, with a passive radiator and it's vented? Those are truly monsters, I bet you have seismic levels of bass.

Intrigued by your claim of less distortion going by the 12, but my room isn't big, and my listening levels aren't super loud, so in terms of distortion and quality of bass I'm not sure the 4 12's are going to be $800 better.

However... I did some looking at the sub drivers and the 12's might be worth more just from a quality standpoint. The 12 isn't just a larger driver, if they are using the 10" I think they are, then the 12 looks to be a massive upgrade in quality. I think the 10 is this flat, stamped frame, puny thing, the 12 looks like a real, beefy sub driver with a quality basket and construction, large magnet, etc. For that reason alone I could see a case for better SQ. Oh well, I've got time to research this. I could be totally wrong, but I don't think I am. You might just talk me into 12's.

Still, if I'm going to look at bang for buck subs I might as well look at all of them.

Rclark

« Reply #118 on: 17 Nov 2011, 08:07 am »
BTW I'm laughing at the pics of my room. 4 months ago I was still engaged and the room looked like a normal bedroom, with furniture, and normal bedroom stuff. A woman's presence for sure. Since I became single I just jammed the room with speakers  :lol: :thumb: Big ol' sub at the foot of my bed, Maggies that dominate a third of the room. Hahahahaha. Loving it while I can. My ex HATED audio, we broke up just before I have the current system. All this stuff is pretty new. She has no idea what I've done with the place and would probably choke.

It's going to look like some kind of mothership in here when I finish the room treatments and everything is just done subs, gear and all. Get some real art too. Moving around will be tight. The next girl I date will have to love music. Then again, the system will make a very good case for itself  :wink:

persisting1

« Reply #119 on: 17 Nov 2011, 09:57 am »
@Rclark,

I've had multiple subs in a small room and I ended up just using one.  You might not hear much of a difference than if you just went with one high quality sub.  It came down to room placement for me. 

But having a swarm just sounds cooler  :green: