Cheap and Cheerful "swarm" system?

Rclark

Re: Cheap and Cheerful "swarm" system?
« Reply #80 on: 1 Nov 2011, 06:13 am »

:thumb: :green:

I'll try and take a pic tommorrow so you can see the current state of my jerry rigged system that I love oh so much.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #81 on: 1 Nov 2011, 09:51 pm »
Yes, we've seen the boxes as speaker bases etc.  You are the epitome of C&C and an example to us all that good sound doesn't have to be House and Garden perfect decor.  Perhaps we should start a thread on who has the Cheapest and Cheerfullest system....

Rclark

« Reply #82 on: 2 Nov 2011, 12:47 am »
Hahah yes. Actually I've prettied it up some since then. Ultimately, I'd like to have the system looking sharp.

Some of you have tens of thousands to spend, I have about 3-500 a month to put on the system until it's done, so each move is like chess. The Maggie mod is a massive system expenditure, the biggest I'll have made.

Rclark

« Reply #83 on: 2 Nov 2011, 12:52 am »

This gives you a better idea of my sub situation. It is a very large ported 10. From where I sit or lay, man it is smooth. I'm going to measure this particular setup.

I slide the closet door open on each side, pull the doors to the center so there are large openings into the closet, basically letting the Maggies fire into the open closet. Also, the open closet is stuffed with things and clothes and makes nice bass trapping. I think my room might measure pretty well.

... thinking of replacing the bed with a hammock though  :lol: to get rid of that lump. But laying there at night playing tunes is utter heaven.

It might not look like it, but the planar's mylar surfaces are actually above the bed level.

I consider this point of my system build, sort of "phase 1" or "stage 1", like building a racing car.

FYI before anyone freaks out, there is about 4.5 feet or so behind the speakers, actually positioned with the cardas method for planars.

You can see the Brahma's just sitting there, hoping to replace the 10.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #84 on: 2 Nov 2011, 12:59 am »

This gives you a better idea of my sub situation. It is a very large ported 10. From where I sit or lay, man it is smooth. I'm going to measure this particular setup.

I slide the closet door open on each side, pull the doors to the center so there are large openings into the closet, basically letting the Maggies fire into the open closet. Also, the open closet is stuffed with things and clothes and makes nice bass trapping. I think my room might measure pretty well.

... thinking of replacing the bed with a hammock though  :lol: to get rid of that lump. But laying there at night playing tunes is utter heaven.

I consider this point of my system build, sort of "phase 1" or "stage 1", like building a racing car.

FYI before anyone freaks out, there is about 4.5 feet or so behind the speakers, actually positioned with the cardas method for planars.

You can see the Brahma's just sitting there, hoping to replace the 10.

:o  So many comments...

Rclark

« Reply #85 on: 2 Nov 2011, 01:02 am »
let er' rip  :thumb: I'm here to learn. I can take it.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #86 on: 2 Nov 2011, 01:03 am »
let er' rip  :thumb: I'm here to learn.

Nah, nothing in that dept.   :green:

Rclark

« Reply #87 on: 2 Nov 2011, 01:06 am »
It does sound AWESOME like that  :thumb:. But yeah, I'm stuck here for 9 more months.

Rclark

« Reply #88 on: 2 Nov 2011, 01:33 am »

Heck while we're at it, an early shot of what will be system two, and probably where I'll try a swarm. GR modded Insignia's on sand filled Sanus UF-27 stands. They are very nice, you'd be shocked. Don't have amplification or anything for those yet. Ran them before my MMG's.

These will either be mains or surrounds if I try 5.1. But that's all off in the distance as I finish the bedroom stereo first.

Rclark

« Reply #89 on: 2 Nov 2011, 01:40 am »
 This was 8 months ago when I started

First things I bought were the cdp, dac, and stands, nice IC's.

Before that I had just those multimedia speakers you see ( that black box in the center is the "sub"), some flimsy little cheap stands (not pictured), and a $20 dvd player. That was it.

Now I've got the ERC-2, XDA-1, Claritycap modded Virtue Two.2 on batteries, Warpspeed attentuator, the MMG's, and a 10" ported sub, cryo'd copper speaker wire.

I imagine in six months it will be a fully fleshed out system.

persisting1

« Reply #90 on: 2 Nov 2011, 02:10 am »
Do the crossovers need to be redesigned for these stands?  It looks like there's added baffle/depth with the wood frames.  Or are they the as the original design? 

They look really nice, but the tweak is a lot more expensive than the speaker itself.  To each his own.

Rclark

« Reply #91 on: 2 Nov 2011, 02:14 am »
 Yeah, it's a different crossover, and there are several changes that occur because of it. One of the changes is the planar now acts as one unit, instead of midrange here, low end here.

There are very reputable long term AC'ers here who have heard them or own them. The hardwood frame lets the vibrations flow out instead of right back into the panel like the stock mdf. There are many benefits. Even bass output is greatly enhanced. The consensus is that post mod they are become world class speakers, on par or better than dynamic speakers costing far more than this speaker/mod.

The fact that they look nice too is, if you can't tell by looking at my sytem, secondary. I've chosen this route based on estimations and research of performance.

1000th post!

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #92 on: 2 Nov 2011, 02:26 am »
Nice to see someone so excited about improving their gear.
Rock on Rclark.....All aboard the crazy train.
This hobby is the best.

Rclark

« Reply #93 on: 2 Nov 2011, 02:49 am »
 Well, here's the thing, you've had a nice system for quite some time, and in fact, you PDR have what has to be an absolutely spectacular system. You've been around this stuff.

Me, personally, I've never been in a hifi showroom, unless you count BestBuy  :green:, and everyone I know thinks spending anything over a couple hundred bucks on an Ipod or a stereo is ludicrous. So I'm hearing music at this level for the first time. If you can remember what that was like for you, hearing a real stereo, if there was a first time (your parents might have had something), you might remember being pretty gobsmacked.

I have been around some pretty nice systems though, but I feel I've already surpassed any of those remembered systems.

Part of me can't wait to be finished with this system so I can forget about audio forums, however. Way too much time reading and writing about it. But that comes with building such a system without any real experience.

SET Man

« Reply #94 on: 2 Nov 2011, 02:56 am »

Part of me can't wait to be finished with this system so I can forget about audio forums, however. Way too much time reading and writing about it. But that comes with building such a system without any real experience.

Hey!

Finished? Once you start you can't stop :lol: Well, at least with most of the audiophile people I know. :D

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

Rclark

« Reply #95 on: 2 Nov 2011, 03:08 am »
 Eh, yeah who am I kidding, right?   :lol: I'm hooked.

But at this stage I have to spend a lot of time reading. I have a system for making these purchases, I read about every forum thread I can find on the gear and I weigh what's been said, positive or negative, weigh the post count and general rep of those people, talk to them if I can, try and extrapolate what my experience will be. So far it's been stellar, but it's a lot of work. I've begun demoing gear so that helps too. Hopefully I can make it to RMAF and get a real look at what's available. Dying to hear those MBL's.

SET Man

« Reply #96 on: 2 Nov 2011, 03:36 am »
Eh, yeah who am I kidding, right? I'm hooked.

But at this stage I have to spend a lot of time reading. I have a system for making these purchases, I read about every forum thread I can find on the gear and I weigh what's been said, positive or negative, weigh the post count and general rep of those people, talk to them if I can, try and extrapolate what my experience will be. So far it's been stellar, but it's a lot of work. I've begun demoing gear so that helps too. Hopefully I can make it to RMAF and get a real look at what's available. Dying to hear those MBL's.

Hey!

Don't worry there is hope :D

But don't take what you read on the net or even so called "pro reviewers" too seriously, do take them with a grain or should I say a bucket of salt :lol:

What sound good to them can sound like crap to you and vice versa. :D You just have to find your own way see what kind of system and sound push your button. One advice I can give you once you have a system that you really enjoy than be careful about changing anything in it... new or more expensive doesn't always mean better. Believe me I've learned. And yes going around listening to as many system as you can is a good idea. You know there might be an AC member near by that will let you listen to his/her system. If you ever in NYC you are welcome to stop by to listen to my system, but it is not for everyone though.  :icon_lol:

BTW... I've heard the MBL's system before big and small at audio shows. They do sound big but personally I prefer a more intimate sounding system with more finesses. But than again you might like that :D

Good luck with your journey and enjoy the music.

Take care
Buddy :thumb:

Rclark

« Reply #97 on: 2 Nov 2011, 04:31 am »
 :thumb:

Thanks man, and for sure if I'm ever on the east coast I'll hit you up.  :green:

I don't think I'll fall into the trap of spending more, honestly, because of this particular forum. I said it was a lot of work, and part of that work was finding the right spot, and this is it. It's truly the best of the best, or at least way way up there. I know I kinda slum up the place with the looks of my setup and my lack of decades of experience or scientific pedigree, but hopefully not too much longer.

Plan after my "stint" here is done, wanna get a house, and hopefully make a dedicated room. I'm sure by that point my stuff will be a little more photogenic. Meanwhile, here and now, it sounds awesome.

Thanks to my research of gear: I have a friend with oldschool Klipsch RF-3's and a pair of large Maelstrom 18 subs run off some pretty pedestrian gear and my slaughters his right now in everything but max spls (obviously but who cares?), and low bass extension. He brought some cd's over to listen and was "thinking of picking up a pair" (of MMG's  :green:) and wants to bring his speakers over to hear them on a "real system" :green:.

My amp system, the WS, + MMG's, you wouldn't kick it outta bed  :thumb:

JohnR

« Reply #98 on: 2 Nov 2011, 04:32 am »
Sorry for the OT, but what is the MMG mod? Do you have a link for it?

Rclark

« Reply #99 on: 2 Nov 2011, 04:37 am »
No OT, it's a nice talk. Eventually someone soon will veer it back onto a cheap swarm.

http://www.indiespinzone.com/magnestand.html