VPI "revision b"

Berndt

VPI "revision b"
« on: 14 Aug 2011, 10:40 pm »
Just finished building this base and arm pillar for Tuans Vpi. I was inspired by the davinci I saw at true sound.
Base is a 12" piece of steel tubing with a 2.5" thick piece of steel plate shrunk into it. Base is around 110/120 lbs. Arm pillar is 6" ss round solid.
Fired it up with a cheapo motor just to hear it and so far so good. Final tweaking and evaluating will occur back at Tuans house.

Berndt

Re: VPI "revision b"
« Reply #1 on: 15 Aug 2011, 02:35 am »

Berndt

« Reply #2 on: 15 Aug 2011, 02:38 am »

richidoo

« Reply #3 on: 15 Aug 2011, 02:40 am »
That is really awesome Berndt.

Berndt

« Reply #4 on: 15 Aug 2011, 02:54 am »
Thanks, I enjoyed making it. I had been knocking the idea around with Tuan of making his next deck and when I saw the davinci I was inspired by the simplicity and elegance. I am also happy that there is a lot of room for upgrading with this design. Nothing gets thrown out. New subplate on the arm pillar for new arm. Base will also fit a teres style bearing and platter with minimal modification.

richidoo

« Reply #5 on: 15 Aug 2011, 03:38 am »
Are you a machinist by trade, or an "artist" (or both?) I have tiny Sherline machines, 3" aluminum is all they can handle, but I love metal projects. Someday would love to be able to do more, but for now it's all wood.  Is the plate cut with plasma?

BPoletti

« Reply #6 on: 15 Aug 2011, 03:43 am »
That is spectacular looking.  How does tit sound?  Any cartridge issues with that great big piece of magnetic steel?

Berndt

« Reply #7 on: 15 Aug 2011, 03:44 am »
Machinist by trade yes.
Many years of building prototypes for others, now I get to make these for my friends. Used to just build motorcycles for fun, now I am enjoying this analog business.
The slug was cut out of the plate with a standard old gas axe.

Berndt

« Reply #8 on: 15 Aug 2011, 03:45 am »
I figured since the base was static I would not be generating any interference.

Sonny

« Reply #9 on: 15 Aug 2011, 04:19 am »
here'w what it currently looks like!

VPI Rim Drive, VPI Classic Aluminum Platter, VPI 10.5 tonearm and tonearm base, Dynavector XX1 with SS retip, line contact.  Also have a Shelter 901 with a 10.5 stainless steel arm

TheChairGuy

« Reply #10 on: 15 Aug 2011, 05:31 am »
Spectacular!

orthobiz

« Reply #11 on: 15 Aug 2011, 10:29 am »
I am not succeeding at not being jealous.

Paul

steveblezy

« Reply #12 on: 15 Aug 2011, 11:51 am »
Your pics made my morning. Very impressive. Congratulations for your hard work.

Steve

Wayner

« Reply #13 on: 15 Aug 2011, 12:03 pm »
Direct coupled mass is the key to great table designs. I learned that when I made ARcom, stuffing the innards with lots of plasticlay. The mass simply stops internal/external born vibrations. Great machining.

What did we finish the external/internal surfaces with? Plain steel will corrode after time. It does appear to be plated?

Wayner

Berndt

« Reply #14 on: 15 Aug 2011, 01:36 pm »
It does appear plated. The base is just polished and waxed. There is about a dozen coats of wax on it. It is not a permanent finish, but there is a certain vibrance to polished metal that plating diminishes, imho. Also getting good plating in California is near impossible.

twitch54

« Reply #15 on: 15 Aug 2011, 01:59 pm »
Beautifull work ! what does it all weigh ??

Sonny

« Reply #16 on: 15 Aug 2011, 03:21 pm »
Beautifull work ! what does it all weigh ??

Well, we estimate the plinth being about 130lbs, the arm column about another 30lbs as well as the motor/rim drive another 25lbs...so, approximately 200lbs?  or so...

Dave, it sounds good initially, more tweaking but first I have to find a time where my wife and 3 month old is out of the house (loft) to really know!

Tuan

Wayner

« Reply #17 on: 15 Aug 2011, 03:50 pm »
A nice chrome finish would be nice. With all the car buffs out there in California, there must be someone. But if you keep polishing it, and not let the surface get exposed to air, should be fine for now.

Wayner

Sonny

« Reply #18 on: 15 Aug 2011, 04:32 pm »
A nice chrome finish would be nice. With all the car buffs out there in California, there must be someone. But if you keep polishing it, and not let the surface get exposed to air, should be fine for now.

Wayner

Yes, that would be nice...I can see if there's an autobody shop that can match it to the stainless steel...perhaps do that to the VPI motor and platter as well!  but will have to find and wonder about costs...

When I got home yesterday, I put a coat of Mother's metal polish on it as well....So, not car wax, but a metal polish.  When you put it on, even on the aluminum platter, man does the black stuff come off and onto the towel!
T

Wayner

« Reply #19 on: 15 Aug 2011, 05:22 pm »
I use a similar product called Flitz and it cleans (and polishes) the same way, with a bunch of black residue left on the polish cloth.

I was just thinking that there are lots of motorcycle shops that have lots of stuff chromed. It might not be as bad as you might think for price. Someone out there has to do it for these small custom shops.

Wayner