Ebag4's Bottlehead Stereomour 2a3 Amplifier Build

ebag4

Ebag4's Bottlehead Stereomour 2a3 Amplifier Build
« on: 20 May 2011, 04:47 pm »
By Popular Demand!! Not really, I just thought it sounded better than "hey, look at my amp build"  :lol:.

In this thread I will pictorally document my amp build project.  It will not include every step but I will try to cover the major components.

Without further ado here is the first pic:

I will not be using the standard base sold with the kit, instead I will be using some quilted Maple lumber and Sapele veneer to build the base, this will give it a simialr look to my V1s.  Also, this will be a power amp build, not an integrated as designed.  I will be using this amp in conjunction with my Dodd Buffer.

More as the build progresses.

Best,
Ed
« Last Edit: 20 May 2011, 05:52 pm by ebag4 »

ebag4

Re: Ebag4's Bottlehead Stereomour 2a3 Amplifier Build
« Reply #1 on: 20 May 2011, 04:48 pm »
A little progress:

Best,
Ed
« Last Edit: 20 May 2011, 11:54 pm by ebag4 »

ebag4

« Reply #2 on: 20 May 2011, 04:48 pm »
A little more progress.  The chassis plate has been sprayed with a clear poly as has the bell (the  transformers will not show once the amp is completed).  I am missing the hum pots but I will start wiring and go as far as I can today.  Tomorrow I will probably start on the base.

Best,
Ed
« Last Edit: 21 May 2011, 08:35 pm by ebag4 »

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: 20 May 2011, 05:05 pm »
Very cool!  Look forward to the next post.    :thumb:

JakeJ

« Reply #4 on: 20 May 2011, 05:17 pm »
Outstanding, ebag4!  Looking forward to watching this as well.

Say, Ed, could we have a close up of the Sappele?  Kinda hard to see in the "group" photo.  ;)

ebag4

« Reply #5 on: 20 May 2011, 05:29 pm »
Outstanding, ebag4!  Looking forward to watching this as well.

Say, Ed, could we have a close up of the Sappele?  Kinda hard to see in the "group" photo.  ;)
Here you go Jake.  This is the same veneer I used for the V1s.  I got a little headstart by gluing the veneer onto my dowell rod (to be used for legs) before I went out of town last week.

This is what it looks like finished (taken from a shot of my speakers)

Best,
Ed

TerryO

« Reply #6 on: 20 May 2011, 05:43 pm »
Ed,

From the pictures of your speakers and the close-ups of the veneer, your amplifier should be stunning. I'm looking forward to seeing your project progress!

Best Regards,
TerryO

ebag4

« Reply #7 on: 21 May 2011, 08:42 pm »
Ed,

From the pictures of your speakers and the close-ups of the veneer, your amplifier should be stunning. I'm looking forward to seeing your project progress!

Best Regards,
TerryO

Thanks Terry.  I am looking forward to seeing the end product as well! 

A comment on the Bottlehead instructions, they are outstanding.  The instructions are straight forward and are supported with pics. I believe if you know which end of the soldering iron gets hot you coud probably buid this amp....  After that comment I better be able to make my amp work! :lol:

Best,
Ed

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #8 on: 21 May 2011, 08:48 pm »
WOW!  At this rate you'll be listening to it next weekend.   :green:

TONEPUB

« Reply #9 on: 21 May 2011, 10:34 pm »
I had a pair of the mono Bottlehead 2A3's and they sounded great.  I still regret selling them!

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #10 on: 21 May 2011, 11:06 pm »
Somewhere when its done Ed and you take the finished shot can you list some specs with it, watts, etc...  Thanks.
After reading your quote about which end of the iron gets hot- which I learned early by burning myself but good when I was pee wee- I'm now interested to see if I could maybe pull this off... :thumb:

Pez

« Reply #11 on: 21 May 2011, 11:53 pm »
2a3 amp you're talking 2.5 watts max. And awesomeness levels of close to 5,363.24 by my calculations.

TerryO

« Reply #12 on: 22 May 2011, 12:54 am »
2a3 amp you're talking 2.5 watts max. And awesomeness levels of close to 5,363.24 by my calculations.

Pez,
I'm no expert, but I always thought that the typical 2A3's loadlines indicated that they would be able to produce around 3.5 watts.

However, at my advanced age I decided to check out the Bottlehead site, just in case.
 :green:

Here's what they stated:

Stereomour is our latest high quality single ended, parallel feed, directly heated triode amplifier kit, a stereo integrated amp with three inputs that can be configured as a 3.5 watt per channel parafeed SE 2A3 stereo amp or 1.75 watt per channel parafeed SE 45 stereo amp (with user supplied tubes). Parts are supplied to allow creation of either circuit, with the 2A3 tubes included in the kit.

Best Regards,
TerryO

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #13 on: 22 May 2011, 12:56 am »
... And awesomeness levels of close to 5,363.24 by my calculations.
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

roymail

• Roy in TX
« Reply #14 on: 22 May 2011, 02:13 am »
What speakers would be a good match with this amp?  Suggestions, please... thanks!  :thumb:

TerryO

« Reply #15 on: 22 May 2011, 02:28 am »
What speakers would be a good match with this amp?  Suggestions, please... thanks!  :thumb:

The usual suspects to begin with:

Klipschorns, Cornwalls, La Scalas and Altec VOTTs.

Best Regards,
TerryO

ebag4

« Reply #16 on: 22 May 2011, 04:44 am »
Somewhere when its done Ed and you take the finished shot can you list some specs with it, watts, etc...  Thanks.
After reading your quote about which end of the iron gets hot- which I learned early by burning myself but good when I was pee wee- I'm now interested to see if I could maybe pull this off... :thumb:
Hey Ed, 3.5 watts is correct.  I am excited to hear what 3.5 watts of 2a3 tone will do with my V1s.  The amp will drive the 97db coax from 140 Hz and up ( hi pass filter in Dodd Buffer).

I'll be driving my GR Research V1s (see above).

Best,
Ed

ebag4

« Reply #17 on: 22 May 2011, 07:38 pm »
Sniffing some more solder fumes, wiring in progress.

Best,
Ed

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #18 on: 22 May 2011, 07:43 pm »
Ed you can pick the number of RCA inputs you want is that correct? I thought I read they are user configurable or whatever....I need 2 min., 3 ideally.

ebag4

« Reply #19 on: 22 May 2011, 08:06 pm »
Ed,
The kit comes standard with 3 inputs, I am only using one because I will be running it as a power amp not an intergrated as was designed.  This amp will be fed by my Dodd buffer.

Best,
Ed