Ebag4's Bottlehead Stereomour 2a3 Amplifier Build

ebag4

Re: Ebag4's Bottlehead Stereomour 2a3 Amplifier Build
« Reply #60 on: 29 May 2011, 12:13 pm »
Thanks Pez, I believe that may have helped (that and my new clamping method utilizing tennnis shoes and a couple of cases of bottled water  :lol:).

Here are what should be the last pics until the finish has been applied.

Best,
Ed

Pez

« Reply #61 on: 29 May 2011, 02:43 pm »
Glad that worked.  :thumb: Sweet! Love it Ed. Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful work!

roymail

• Roy in TX
« Reply #62 on: 29 May 2011, 06:54 pm »
Beautiful job!  How does it sound with the Dodd buffer in the lead?

Thanks for a wonderful thread and for sharing.

ebag4

« Reply #63 on: 29 May 2011, 07:27 pm »
Thanks Guys, the finish should really bring out the character in the wood, can't wait.

roymail, I can only listen to it with the bass section of the V1s in the loop with the Dodd in the lead.  I did try it direct from my DAC using the MPD volume control but no real comparison due to the lack of 200Hz and down.  I will say that the amp seems to be making a turn for the better this morning, it has been a bit up and down up until now, I am right at 50 hrs on the amp.

I will have more to say with regard to the sound once I feel it has settled in.

Best,
Ed

Nels Ferre

« Reply #64 on: 29 May 2011, 07:35 pm »
Beautiful work indeed!

You inspired me to break out my soldering iron and upgrade/modify my new preamp. So far so good....two more sections to go through.

Back on topic...I've been thinking the S.E.X. could be a fun project and might just make a great headphone amp.

ebag4

« Reply #65 on: 1 Jun 2011, 09:15 pm »
All right guys, now for the moment you have all been......err.., I have been waiting for!

I have left it in gloss right now but I may decide to add a layer of semi-gloss over it later.  I'm going to live with it a bit and then make my decision.  Here it is:

And for Jake, here are some system pics (please excuse the mess and unfinished asorbtion and defraction projects):

Thanks for your support of this thread!

Best,
Ed

TrungT

« Reply #66 on: 1 Jun 2011, 09:22 pm »
Ed
Look awesome.  :thumb:
Thanks for sharing.  :wink:

Ericus Rex

« Reply #67 on: 1 Jun 2011, 10:34 pm »
Absolutely stunning, Ed!

ebag4

« Reply #68 on: 1 Jun 2011, 10:37 pm »
Ed
Look awesome.  :thumb:
Thanks for sharing.  :wink:
Absolutely stunning, Ed!

Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

Best,
ed

JakeJ

« Reply #69 on: 2 Jun 2011, 02:11 am »
Congrats, Ed!  And doesn't it look just awesome in that last shot between the V1s?

If I had one more request, Ed, it would be that you come back and let us know how it sounds after you get some time with this change in your system, how does the sound differ from the Class D?  Also noted in your system pic two black boxes on the left of your Class D amp and now they are silver boxes (left of the new Stereomour).  Forgive me if I missed a thread tracking that but are they the listed Egreat M34A Network Media Tank and MHDT Havana DAC w/ WE396a Tube or something else?

Just curious.

Oh, and later after you start rolling tubes and capacitors you can start all new threads for those.  :lol: 

ebag4

« Reply #70 on: 2 Jun 2011, 02:23 am »
Congrats, Ed!  And doesn't it look just awesome in that last shot between the V1s?

If I had one more request, Ed, it would be that you come back and let us know how it sounds after you get some time with this change in your system, how does the sound differ from the Class D?  Also noted in your system pic two black boxes on the left of your Class D amp and now they are silver boxes (left of the new Stereomour).  Forgive me if I missed a thread tracking that but are they the listed Egreat M34A Network Media Tank and MHDT Havana DAC w/ WE396a Tube or something else?

Just curious.

Oh, and later after you start rolling tubes and capacitors you can start all new threads for those.  :lol: 

Hi Jake, thanks for reminding me I need to update my systems page.  To give you the short answer the Egreat is still in the basement HT system acting a the music storage for the Alix mini computer (silver box far left) running MPD, an iPod touch running mPod is my UI.  The Havana has been replaced by a Tranquility DAC.

I will certainly update regarding sound once I have more time on it but at a little over 90 hours now it is really starting to sound sweet.  I rolled a JJ ECC81 gold pin into the 12AT7 spot and that made a marked improvement in clarity, of course the act of burning in is helping the amp as well.  I have a pair of Mundorf Silver/Oi .1 uF caps coming in to replace the stock coupling caps.

Best,
Ed

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #71 on: 2 Jun 2011, 02:37 am »
Fantastic ED!!!!!!! Gorgeous, wanna build one for me??  LOL I'm kidding but if I had the cash man I'd be trying to twist your arm right about now...great job Ed. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

wushuliu

« Reply #72 on: 2 Jun 2011, 07:31 am »
THAT THING IS RIDICULOUS. ITS UGLY. 

WHY CAN'T I BUILD STFF LIKE THAT. I HATE U. I HATE U. I TTLY HATE YOUS GUYS WITH YR SKLZ AND WOOD AND STUFF. I AM JUST A PAR-METAL B*TCHMONKEY. "YES I'LL TAKE UR STUPPID ANODIZED ALUMINUM BECAUSE I SUCK AND HAVE NO CHOICE". I HATE YOUS GUYZ :bawl: :cuss:

bigjppop

« Reply #73 on: 2 Jun 2011, 08:41 am »
One of the best looking setups I've seen.... ever. You've given me some great ideas for my next project.

Very nice and you should be very proud.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #74 on: 2 Jun 2011, 01:10 pm »
Man, that's sweet.

ebag4

« Reply #75 on: 2 Jun 2011, 01:37 pm »
Thanks guys.

Wush, don't be a hater :wink:, metal can be nice too! :thumb:  In fact I think I may have too much wood in my system.  I may change it up with my equipment stand, that is what's next on the project list after some honey-do items.  Then on to finishing my acoustic treatments (yeah right, like I will ever get to that).

Best,
Ed

roymail

• Roy in TX
« Reply #76 on: 2 Jun 2011, 05:46 pm »
Wow, I didn't realize those 2a3 tubes cost $100 or more EACH TUBE. :o

Pez

« Reply #77 on: 2 Jun 2011, 05:59 pm »
Pretty damn sweet Ed. I love it. I do have to say your pictures are very dark. Any chance you could get another shot with some daylight or better flash?

ebag4

« Reply #78 on: 2 Jun 2011, 06:32 pm »
Wow, I didn't realize those 2a3 tubes cost $100 or more EACH TUBE. :o
Roy, I don't think all 2a3s are that expensive, I believe you can get a pair of the Sovtecs for under $100.

Pretty damn sweet Ed. I love it. I do have to say your pictures are very dark. Any chance you could get another shot with some daylight or better flash?
Hi Pez, unfortunately I am not much of a photographer.  The base is drying from a coat of semi-gloss I put on it during lunch.  I can take more pics when it is dry or were you taking about the system pics.  I did take the pic with the lights on and off as well with the flash on and off, what you see were what I thought were the best  :oops:.

I'll post a few more pics of the amp once the semi-gloss is dry and well see how those turn out.

Best,
Ed

JakeJ

« Reply #79 on: 2 Jun 2011, 08:21 pm »
Hi Ed,

I think part of your photographic problems are due to the dark red of the walls.  Don't get me wrong I think it looks fabulous with the sapele and over all the system look really sings (like those V1s).

Are you familiar with using the EV+/- settings on your digital camera?  This controls the exposure in small steps and you could lighten the photo up with jusicious adjustment of that.  Also get as much light in the room as possible, even if temporary.  Likely you will still need to use the flash but combining all these elements should give you some better results.

Hope this helps.