Ebag4's Bottlehead Stereomour 2a3 Amplifier Build

Pez

Re: Ebag4's Bottlehead Stereomour 2a3 Amplifier Build
« Reply #80 on: 2 Jun 2011, 08:43 pm »
Actually Ed, that was my bad, I was using my iPhone to look at the pics and the brightness was turned way down low to conserve battery.  :oops: Looking at it now on my computer is much better!  :thumb:

ebag4

« Reply #81 on: 3 Jun 2011, 01:46 am »
Well, I tried the EV setting but I couldn't get a decent pic so here are more of the same with some additional light.  I have applied a coat of semi-gloss to the amp and can tell you that it is now finished (except for the left front hole), I like the semi much better than the gloss, it seem the Sapele shows better with the semi (although it may be difficult/impossible to tell from my pics).  Here you go!

Best,
Ed

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #82 on: 3 Jun 2011, 01:55 am »
Day-um!  That's beautiful.

ebag4

« Reply #83 on: 3 Jun 2011, 04:57 pm »
Day-um!  That's beautiful.

Thanks Tyson, it is really starting to sing.  I just ordered a pair of JJ 2a3-40s for it, should be here early next week, can't wait!

Best,
Ed

roymail

• Roy in TX
« Reply #84 on: 3 Jun 2011, 07:16 pm »
Ed, what kind of IC's are those with the small wire?  Guess they perform well or you wouldn't be using them.  Thanks!

ebag4

« Reply #85 on: 3 Jun 2011, 07:20 pm »
Ed, what kind of IC's are those with the small wire?  Guess they perform well or you wouldn't be using them.  Thanks!

Hi Roy, those are Morrow Audio MA-1s.  I have the MA-2s between my DAC and the Dodd Buffer.  The MA-1s were a nice and immediately noticable improvement over my generic and DIY ICs I had been using.  I do not recall hearing much improvement when I replaced another pair of the MA-1s with the MA-2s.  I also use Morrow Audio speaker cables but by far the biggest improvement I experienced  was when I put the first set of MA-1s in the system.

Best,
Ed

roymail

• Roy in TX
« Reply #86 on: 3 Jun 2011, 07:30 pm »
Thanks, Ed... I'll have to check them out. And again, beautiful job on the amp.  Congrats! :D

ebag4

« Reply #87 on: 3 Jun 2011, 08:14 pm »
Well, I think this thread has run it's course.  I will post on tweaks and improvements in a separate thread.

Jason, I hope this thread was what you had hoped for when you requested it!

Best,
Ed

TomS

« Reply #88 on: 3 Jun 2011, 08:30 pm »
Well, I think this thread has run it's course.  I will post on tweaks and improvements in a separate thread.

Best,
Ed
I thought it was great and thanks for running it with the details. Truly an artist at work!

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #89 on: 3 Jun 2011, 10:21 pm »

Best,
Ed

Yes, I think it's great!   :thumb:  I look forward to reading the next thrread and your next project.   :green:

ebag4

« Reply #90 on: 5 Jun 2011, 09:46 pm »
Thanks Tom/Jason, I am glad you liked it.  I know I closed out this thread more or less, but I thought I should post a final couple of pics with my solution to cover the holes left from the integrated spots that were not used, here they are:

Once again, sorry for the poor pics.

Best,
Ed

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #91 on: 5 Jun 2011, 10:04 pm »
How's it sound on those fab speakers?

ebag4

« Reply #92 on: 5 Jun 2011, 10:33 pm »
It is sounding fantastic!  It has shown me capabilities that I didn't know the V1s possessed, specifically amazing detail and dynamics at low volumes!!  I highly recommend this combination.

Best,
Ed

Pez

« Reply #93 on: 5 Jun 2011, 10:40 pm »
Tyson and I need to give his v2s another shot at SET.  First time I think we used faulty tubes and we were not impressed. Also he has switched to active so that rids the amo of having to drive both drivers and crossover. Someday we'll give it a go.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #94 on: 5 Jun 2011, 11:18 pm »
Thanks Tom/Jason, I am glad you liked it.  I know I closed out this thread more or less, but I thought I should post a final couple of pics with my solution to cover the holes left from the integrated spots that were not used, here they are:

Once again, sorry for the poor pics.

Best,
Ed

Don't apologize, your pics and your build are FANTASTIC!

Enjoy! At least your speakers are sensitive enough to enjoy 3 watt SET's!

Anand.

ebag4

« Reply #95 on: 7 Jun 2011, 03:00 am »
Don't apologize, your pics and your build are FANTASTIC!

Enjoy! At least your speakers are sensitive enough to enjoy 3 watt SET's!

Anand.

Thanks Anand.  Yes my speakers are currently enjoying JJ 2a3-40 watts and I am LOVING every minute of it, these tubes are outstanding and that is with less than 10 hrs on them!

Best,
Ed

Guy 13

« Reply #96 on: 23 Nov 2013, 03:10 am »
Hi Ebag4 and all Audio Circle members.
I know, this post is old, but, to me, still interesting.
After reading all five pages of posts, it really make me want to go for the Bottlehead Stereomour.
My only problem is money, a small problem if I sell some of the audio stuff I have.
Other than more power for the 2A3 (3.5wpc) I wonder how it would compare (Sound wise)
to my Decware SE84C+ (2wpc) ?
Waiting for some comment to make me jump the audio fence?

Guy 13