The 45 RPM Rumours is fantastic!

E4T

• drummer, specialty coffee, music obsessed
Re: The 45 RPM Rumours is fantastic!
« Reply #40 on: 20 Apr 2011, 08:17 am »
Whatever folks here think....I really want this release.  Good news is, like I said, that only half of the 4,000 were released.  So more are coming, in late May, but I can deal with that.  Maybe the thread can go back to discussing how great it sounds and I can join in then!

Stumbling on this in a shop before late May, is not an option for me.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #41 on: 20 Apr 2011, 11:50 am »
Ericus,

We have a 'no dirty laundry' policy at AudioCircle.

I don't want to play the heavy and don't find what you posted personally too objectionable (I've told a few nasty customers off over the years), but I have to ask you to remove your above post and the prior posts quoting Elusive Disc.

Within 24 hours, I will need to do so.

Thx, John

Sure, John.  Posts removed.

Indiansprings

« Reply #42 on: 23 Apr 2011, 08:10 pm »
Alright any other thoughts or reviews on the reissue itself from you guys that got it? I have a wonderful condition orig 1977 Warner Bros. that I bought new. I absolutely loved it when it came out. I am listening to it right now. Can anyone compare the two???

Off topic a bit.... I was looking at some of my older records from the early 80's. A lot of them are in very bad shape. Basically trash by my standards now. I use to have a few party's at my place back in high school. I remember being less than 100% and cuing up the turntable. Wow that was difficult when wasted :duh:. I am glad I never broke out some of my favorites.  :rock:

TONEPUB

« Reply #43 on: 23 Apr 2011, 10:31 pm »
We kind of did that in the review...

But seriously I think the main difference between that record and the original is increased dynamics.  The extra groove space in the 45 rpm version really gives the new Rumours some extra added punch.  If you have an early original though, it was very good too.

orthobiz

« Reply #44 on: 23 Apr 2011, 11:26 pm »
The punch is great. I have three daughters with three turntables and I gave each of them a copy of my old records. I bought three because I was looking and never found the ideal copy. Somehow I never bought it when it came out because I was doing more Costello/Clash and because of audio snobbery, I thought Mystery To Me was their best work.

Anyway, one good example is on the song The Chain. The dynamic range (how I miss dynamic range!) is so great that I thought I had to crank the beginning of the song up. Boy was I wrong! When the group all came in I had to turn it down.

The regular release is really good so unless it's a necessity (like E Costello double 45 of Get Happy! will be for me later this year) then you can do without...

Paul

blakep

« Reply #45 on: 24 Apr 2011, 03:55 am »
Alright any other thoughts or reviews on the reissue itself from you guys that got it? I have a wonderful condition orig 1977 Warner Bros. that I bought new. I absolutely loved it when it came out. I am listening to it right now. Can anyone compare the two???

The best discussion I've read comparing the Hoffman reissue to an original pressing is here (and even it is very limited):

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?gmusi&1302973752&openfrom&1&4#1

There were so many copies of Rumours sold that, unless one is supplying matrix #'s and a detailed description of the original textured jacket, heavy cardstock insert, etc. it's difficult to know what the reissue is being compared to and, as such, the comparison is not particularly meaningful.

The Audiogon thread, at the very least, would suggest that a good original is very good and perhaps even better. On top of that, they can be purchased in good condition pretty easily between 50 cents and $5.

Toni Rambold

« Reply #46 on: 24 Apr 2011, 10:44 am »
Quote from: TONEPUB 20 Apr 2011, 03:37 AM
Quote from: rcag_ils on 20 Apr 2011, 12:59 AM
I think you guys are overreacting to this "Rumours" stuff.Look, Fleetwood Mac are a bunch of old men and old ladies now, Stevie Nicks is no longer attractive, this is 2011, not 1977.If the record company had mass-produced a set of 45rpm audiophile grade Rumours back in 1977, there would have been a lot more happy people, and the record company would have made a lot more money. It all about retro hype nowaday, limited to 5000 copies, they can kiss my ass. If I get a copy, fine, if not, screw them, I'd be 50 bucks richer.

First, no one was pressing 45rpm audiophile pressings in 1977, and I think with total sales of over 40 million copies, they all made enough money on it...

quod erat demonstrandum ...  :)

TONEPUB

« Reply #47 on: 24 Apr 2011, 11:17 pm »
Let's amend that to audiophile pressings of popular records...  That's what I meant.

Wouldn't exactly call this a popular title.  Until MoFi came along, no one was licensing stuff like this and with Rumours sales figures where they were, WB would have NEVER let an alternate product out at the same time it was selling off the shelf.

I've checked my matrix numbers and I don't have the earliest, original pressing either. Certainly not within the first few stamper batches.  So if you can actually find a clean one for $5, it's definitely a keeper.  I do have a very early stamper version of the ST Fleetwood Mac that was right before the Rumours album and it sounds excellent.

Back then WB had some of the best engineers in the biz and spent a lot of money to produce records.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #48 on: 25 Apr 2011, 04:46 am »
Fleetwood Mac - Rumours

Textured cover; WB Palm Tree label; Mastered at Capitol, KP, F-20 on side one and F-12 on side 2 in the dead wax. There is script writing I haven't been able to decipher yet--need a stronger magnifying glass. Sounds absolutely fantastic. No wonder this record sold more than 40 million copies.

Looking forward to receiving my 45 RPM so I can compare.

patrickm

« Reply #49 on: 26 Apr 2011, 11:14 pm »
Arrived on my doorstep this afternoon from amazon.ca.  I had placed a pre-order but received an email on release day stating that they were out of stock [but I'd be queued just in case they got more in].  The next day amazon notified me it had shipped and five days later I'm listening to it.  It sounds great, $36.99 well spent.

TONEPUB

« Reply #50 on: 27 Apr 2011, 12:59 am »
Fleetwood Mac - Rumours

Textured cover; WB Palm Tree label; Mastered at Capitol, KP, F-20 on side one and F-12 on side 2 in the dead wax. There is script writing I haven't been able to decipher yet--need a stronger magnifying glass. Sounds absolutely fantastic. No wonder this record sold more than 40 million copies.

Looking forward to receiving my 45 RPM so I can compare.

That's a better original than I've got.   Anxious to hear what you think comparing the two...

2bigears

« Reply #51 on: 27 Apr 2011, 03:08 am »
 :D  just got a new one from Amazon.ca.....36 bucks.can't wait to hear it.really a great working from better days...... :D  GO VANCOUVER......

Sonny

« Reply #52 on: 27 Apr 2011, 03:39 am »
:D  just got a new one from Amazon.ca.....36 bucks.can't wait to hear it.really a great working from better days...... :D  GO VANCOUVER......

Is it still available at amazon?  Can't find it!
Thanks
Tuan

E4T

« Reply #53 on: 27 Apr 2011, 06:03 am »
Not sure about amazon.ca, but on amazon.com there is now only a tab to be notified when the item becomes available.  A week ago it was available for pre-order (release date listed as May 24th).

Maybe they were expected a minimum amount of the second pressing, and will alert folks if they receive more than that allotted amount. 

Indiansprings

« Reply #54 on: 27 Apr 2011, 12:38 pm »
You got the last one  :cry:

rcag_ils

« Reply #55 on: 28 Apr 2011, 04:54 pm »
Not sure about amazon.ca, but on amazon.com there is now only a tab to be notified when the item becomes available.  A week ago it was available for pre-order (release date listed as May 24th).

No more pre-order, the date has been delayed til 5-31-11, price came down from $40 to $37, says from my pre order conf.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #56 on: 28 Apr 2011, 06:43 pm »
My local record store received two copies yesterday (mine was one of them). :thumb:
Amazon pre order prices are being honored $37.79 plus tax and shipping for a total of approximately $44 depending on tax. Accoustic Sounds is taking orders at $69.99 plus S & H.

I haven't had time to clean and play it, but will do so this weekend and report back.

rcag_ils

« Reply #57 on: 29 Apr 2011, 12:19 am »
Amazon didn't charge me for tax, and gave me free shipping, I can't complain, but only if the pre order will work out for them and for us from the supplier.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #58 on: 29 Apr 2011, 01:05 am »
Accoustic Sounds is taking orders at $69.99 plus S & H.

Acoustic Sounds, too!  Say it isn't so!   :cry:

E4T

« Reply #59 on: 29 Apr 2011, 06:12 am »
Amazon didn't charge me for tax, and gave me free shipping, I can't complain, but only if the pre order will work out for them and for us from the supplier.

Same here...no tax, free shipping (and 2 Day shipping to boot, Amazon Prime).