The 45 RPM Rumours is fantastic!

rcag_ils

Re: The 45 RPM Rumours is fantastic!
« Reply #100 on: 20 Jul 2011, 07:11 pm »
So there will be NO NEW PRESSING of the Rumours in 33!!!!!

The post by "dminches" is misleading.

Folsom

« Reply #101 on: 23 Nov 2016, 07:36 am »
Yes, old thread.

Recently I've compared them. IMO the early F11 and F43's I have (Mastered at Capitol, BSK 3060) w/textured covers sound way better than the 45rpm.

I can see why many people would prefer the 45rpm but, really only the bass dynamics are better on the 45rpm. The extra space is nice on some songs on th 45rpm, but overall it's flat and distant by comparison. Drums and guitar sound more real on the original by a good bit. The thing is many stereo's will find the 45rpm better. It's not surprise if it's a preference, until you hear the original in the right setting, then you'll know.

To be fair, I've heard the 45rpm give me a nice wow factor, because it's no slouch. It just doesn't sound real. It's more audiophile, and by that I can only mean meant to sound interesting and not real. I'm not one for seeking recordings for the most superb soundstage, I prefer it sound real more than anything else. And if you didn't know you can't actually hear much of a soundstage under any circumstances live. You might say I'm in it for the gestalt of the music.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #102 on: 23 Nov 2016, 05:58 pm »
I have an early textured cover version, Palm Tree label, Mastered at Capitol, F12 and F20 (my understanding is that this means the F lathe, 12th and 20th lacquer), cut by Ken Perry (KP). I also have the Nautilus 1/2 speed mastered and the 45 rpm. I have listened to all 3 many times and have compared them. The KP pressing is better than the Nautilus, but to my ears, the 45 rpm is the best sounding. There is detail in the music on the 45 that just isn't there on the other two pressings. I have described it as learning there was more music in the studio and on the master tape than we knew from listening to other versions. I do not find the 45 rpm to be distant, flat or sound less real than the early pressing.

This is such a subjective hobby so YMMV.

Folsom

« Reply #103 on: 24 Nov 2016, 02:45 am »
Well if we ever plug in my amp, we'll have to compare because I think it might give some new perception. I think it's just fine to prefer the 45rpm. But for me the timbre of instruments is more important than detail. And actually I didn't notice a lack of detail in the original, but the 45rpm makes it MUCH easier to gain access to it. Many audiophile pressings are this way, giving accessibility, not necessarily being big improvements in all manners.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #104 on: 26 Nov 2016, 07:02 pm »
I listened to these again and I think it depends on which track. I found the first 3 songs on side one of the 33.3 to be more lively and real sounding than side one of the 45, but the 45 had slightly better detail and better bass dynamics. Side 4 of the 45 (Oh Daddy and Gold Dust Women) are superior to the 33.3 in every respect IMO. Very easy to close your eyes and get lost in the music on these two songs. I'm happy to have both and enjoy listening to both.