tekton design mini lore and lore.

yeldarb

Re: tekton design mini lore and lore.
« Reply #100 on: 23 Jun 2011, 05:28 pm »
No papers here, they is what they is.  In regard to bass, I currently have my Lore near the corners of my living room, about a foot from the back wall and a foot from the side.  Bass is good, lively and not boomy, at my center room listening position.  I previously had a 10" sub in the room and, yes, it could generate some more db at lower frequencies.  But it was much harder to get a nice tight bass out of, mostly due to room placement.

That woofer is now in my tv room, with another of the same, serving as stands for Madisound BK 16 horns.  I have yet to play with the adjustment of this mess, yet, but I may have created a monster.  The supertweeters are now above ear level and the Fostex are dead level.  I played some Suzanne Vega when wiring this up and it seemed that this system was much improved.  And I think it is because the subs are now in the same plane as the speakers and in phase.  So, I may have gotten two improved systems with one Lore purchase.  YMMV. :green:

genjamon

« Reply #101 on: 23 Jun 2011, 06:53 pm »
No papers here, they is what they is.  In regard to bass, I currently have my Lore near the corners of my living room, about a foot from the back wall and a foot from the side.  Bass is good, lively and not boomy, at my center room listening position.  I previously had a 10" sub in the room and, yes, it could generate some more db at lower frequencies.  But it was much harder to get a nice tight bass out of, mostly due to room placement.

That woofer is now in my tv room, with another of the same, serving as stands for Madisound BK 16 horns.  I have yet to play with the adjustment of this mess, yet, but I may have created a monster.  The supertweeters are now above ear level and the Fostex are dead level.  I played some Suzanne Vega when wiring this up and it seemed that this system was much improved.  And I think it is because the subs are now in the same plane as the speakers and in phase.  So, I may have gotten two improved systems with one Lore purchase.  YMMV. :green:

Yep, sounds like my situation almost exactly.  Around a foot, center of room listening position, repurposing the subwoofers for other duties.  Could have basshead bass if I kept them involved, but better coherency without and plenty of bass as is.

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #102 on: 26 Jun 2011, 08:03 pm »
Did any Lore owners get any paperwork from Tekton when you received your speakers ?

I don't recall getting anything --- little strange not even one sheet of paper describing the speakers or their specs .......

they do sound great tho !

zeke

I'm not trying to say anything about the sound of the Lore, other than it looks like it might be a very nice high efficiency design. I'm not sure exactly what the criteria is to qualify as a full range speaker, but this is a 2-way. The woofer has response to 4K, but it's probably crossed at 2K. I don't object to the discussion or anything like that. I just thought I'd point that out.
neo

sebrof

« Reply #103 on: 26 Jun 2011, 09:09 pm »
I'm not trying to say anything about the sound of the Lore, other than it looks like it might be a very nice high efficiency design. I'm not sure exactly what the criteria is to qualify as a full range speaker, but this is a 2-way. The woofer has response to 4K, but it's probably crossed at 2K. I don't object to the discussion or anything like that. I just thought I'd point that out.
neo

Technically I think you are correct except where you mention the crossover.
The difference with the Lores and similar speakers is that there is no crossover. The main driver is run full range, connected directly to the amp. Whatever range it has is used (certainly not 20 - 20K). There is only a hi pass filter before the tweeter.
That's why people refer to them as full rangers, although it may not be technically accurate. I don't believe it is accurate to call them 2-way speakers either though.

yeldarb

« Reply #104 on: 30 Jun 2011, 05:36 pm »
I hurt myself last nite with the Lore's.  Was having a cocktail and, for some reason, decided that the Best of the B52's might be worth listening to.  And, of course, I had to crank it up.  These speakers have so much detail that you are not aware of HOW DANG LOUD THE MUSIC IS.  B52's at their campy best.

My ears are still not quite right.

RCduck7

« Reply #105 on: 30 Jun 2011, 08:38 pm »
There is no question about it that those Lores are great speakers and if i want build myself a new system they are top of my list. But lately i'm intrested in open baffle design, this way you can be sure to have no box colloration. I know an open baffle has disadvantages for low frequencies unless you use some room correction system or DSP technology as with the Emerald physics or Steinway Lyngdorf speakers, BUT Tekton has a Hybrid design with the Model OB45 and OB65. I ask myself is the Lore really a step above the OB45 or 65? Becausse in theory these open baffle hybrids from Tekton are good designs. Any opinion or has anyone heard both the Lore and OB speakers??

Poultrygeist

« Reply #106 on: 30 Jun 2011, 11:00 pm »
Here's a picture of my friend's Tekton OB 4.5. I can't say how they compare to the Lores but my Omens offer a much fuller sound. The highs and mids are too die for but the bass is too sparse for me. I can't wait to try them on top of my H frames and would expect that combination to surpass the Lores and Omens. Eric Alexander recommends and sells a separate sub for each OB 4.5. 

sebrof

« Reply #107 on: 1 Jul 2011, 02:59 am »
If you look in the "Blog" section of the Tekton Design website you'll see the OB speakers with the matching sub. Total for 2 speakers + 2 subs is $1200 (or at least was back in October 2010).

RCduck7

« Reply #108 on: 1 Jul 2011, 10:25 pm »
I guess the Lores or Omens are more complete speakers if you consider that they don't need a sub and come with a supertweeter. I can imagine the midrange is to die for on the OB's but i guess it is not a speaker to live with if you listen to certain music genres. The Sigma speakers seems to have it all, hybrid design AND supertweeters but it is 5000$. Maybe colloration on the Lores is minimal. But hey wait WAIT! What do i see in the blog section of the Tekton website!?! The OB45's do have not only subs as an option like sebrof mentioned but also tweeters!! On the product page the Model OB45 does not have tweeters! Maybe this picture of the OB45 with tweeters on the blog section was a special request from a customer? What's going on? Now i'm getting very intrested in the OB45 and 65. I also wonder how a OB45 with sub will sound in comparison with a OB65 without a sub.

Jazzaudio

« Reply #109 on: 3 Jul 2011, 05:25 am »
Just completed my fifth week with the Lore, with extensive playing.  I may need to start another thread regarding the Dayens Ecstasy II integrated amp.  This combo is a killer.  The Dayens exhibits iron-fisted control of the bass, dynamics and transients, yet is utterly open as it caresses subtle notes, vibrations, sounds, and feelings. Add the 3D imaging, rich harmonics and tones,  and I'm shaking my head in disbelief that I'm listening to a solid state unit that surpasses every tube amp I've owned since 1995! Well, more accurately, its this combo in this particular that surpasses every other combo/room. 

Poultrygeist

« Reply #110 on: 3 Jul 2011, 12:16 pm »
Before my friend bought the OB45's he had a conversation with Eric. It seems that the OB45 is Eric's favorite of the two. That doesn't surprise me as Eric also recommended the Tekton 4.5 over the 6.5 ( both Fostex drivers ) when I last spoke with him. The bass of the 65 is said to be no better than the 45 and I think I could have lived with the 45's low end had the DIY H frames not totally spoiled me on musical bass.

I have single Fostex 4.5 drivers in bass reflex cabs and in back loaded horns and unless you have bat ears, a super tweeter seems somewhat of a waste. But if you are blessed with super hearing you can add the sit-on-top Fostex super tweet to any speaker. The big 10 incher of the Lore/Omen no doubt profits from a tweeter.

I'll try and post some comments and pictures after I try the Tekton OB45/H frame combo, hopefully tomorrow.

Poultrygeist

« Reply #111 on: 3 Jul 2011, 12:33 pm »
Anything is possible but it's hard to imagine that a solid state Dayens amp can replace the "magic" of a SET when driving the Lore or any other great full range speaker.

Jazzaudio

« Reply #112 on: 3 Jul 2011, 04:13 pm »
True enough Poultry...but it is what I'm hearing! :D   The evolution of my SET (or SEP) journey since 2001 is: Decware Select/Klipsch Forte I, Transcendent Sound SEOTL/Forte, Carina/Forte, Carina/Hornshoppe.  I mentioned before I would recommend the Carina and Hornshoppe to anyone...and would also include the Forte and the other amps.  Throughout the changes in rooms ( and houses for that matter!), cables, speaker drivers and tubes ,those amps, as a group/class, are magical, with differing signatures and presentations.  Interesting enough, my source from 1999-2010 was the original Jolida 601 Tube CDP.  It wasnt until it periodically failed to read discs or the next track(s) did I replace it with the Jolida JD-100 CDP.  I still have the 601...cant get rid of it!

As far as this combo, my current set-up is right there among the others. Whats so interesting is that checking into the Hornshoppe, Klipsch, and Omega Speaker forums, I've always noted the tremendously diverse amplification everyone used. Many of the same sound descriptions (which are so subjective) were repeated and found throughout the different types and styles of amplification!

genjamon

« Reply #113 on: 3 Jul 2011, 05:24 pm »
Now you're really starting to tempt me to try out the Ecstasy, Jazz...  I'd definitely appreciate a more elaborate review of the amp in a separate thread if you were so inclined.

Poultrygeist

« Reply #114 on: 4 Jul 2011, 06:09 pm »
Today I tried my friend's Tekton OB45 atop my DIY H frame open baffle bass speakers. Splendid sound with great detail but not as full and well behaved as the Tang Band W8-1808 OB's which usually reside there.

A pair of Tekton OB45 with matching subs would cost more than the Lores but even at the same price I'd go with the Lores.

Poultrygeist

« Reply #115 on: 4 Jul 2011, 06:13 pm »
Tekton OB

RCduck7

« Reply #116 on: 4 Jul 2011, 10:43 pm »
It seems Paultry prefered the Lores over the OB45's. I guess the open baffle of the OB45's makes it sound less full. With open baffle, even it is only for midrange, without any dsp or room correction it sounds detailed but not as full as with box speakers, even with subwoofers that is only for the lows, might be just not enough. If i had a pair of OB45's it would be a nice experiment to use OB45's on a room correction device with a microphone, even a surround processor like the Emotiva UMC-1 could do nicely i think.
But room correction device or not, out of the box it seems the Lores are prefered.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #117 on: 5 Jul 2011, 12:29 am »
O.B. versus box - different strokes for different folks.  O.B.'s produce a "wall of sound" versus discrete (focused) images (that help with resolution).  Dipole radiation is not "natural" for almost any instrument (but bipole makes a lot more sense, more like a omni-directional designs).  DSP isn't going to change these differences in presentation.

I've found that the "fullness" comes from the size of the primary driver, so not surprising that the OB45 sounds "thinner" than the Lore/Mini-Lore.

Perhaps the best way to describe the Lore/Mini-Lore is as a "semi 2-way" as it crosses at a frequency similar to most 2-ways, but it uses only a cap to protect the tweeter from going too low.

RCduck7

« Reply #118 on: 5 Jul 2011, 10:35 pm »
I've found that the "fullness" comes from the size of the primary driver, so not surprising that the OB45 sounds "thinner" than the Lore/Mini-Lore.

Yes, you hit the nail, this reminds me that it is typical for open baffle systems to have big driver(s). I have heard a single driver speaker with a very small driver but in a big box and there was a very good bass in a not very big room, but take away the box and it is gone. The speakers i heard were from Konus Audio on a show, i also could expereince the awesome sounding Steinway Lyngdorf system there but for a smaller room the Konus Audio was the most intimate sounding on the show but they were way to high priced...

http://www.audiovideo2day.eu/nl/article/8615/AV2D-Belgium-2011:-Audio-Life
http://www.audiovideo2day.eu/nl/article/8837/AV2D-Belgium-2011-Steinway-Lyngdorf

Biggest dissapointment were the Magico loudspeakers, with one recording they are great and with an other they can be rubbish from what i heard, these spekers had Nagra gear matching them.

Jazzaudio

« Reply #119 on: 7 Jul 2011, 03:13 pm »
Genjamon,

I noticed you have the Hornshoppe Truth Prepamp.  How did it change the sound of the Ampino?  Did you bypass the volume control, or simply run the Ampino fully open