In the name of God, go !

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
In the name of God, go !
« on: 29 Jan 2011, 08:12 am »
" You have sat here too long for any good you are doing. Depart, I say, and let us have done with you. In the name of God, go !"
   Oliver Cromwell
I think we can all come up with an "artist" or two who have overstayed their welcome. In some cases this is subjective ( I have run into some folks who actually are willing to defend Metallica's "St. Anger" as an example...) but in some cases the cheesy reek of decay is so obvious that OJ's Dream Team couldn't put together a defense for the continuation of the agony...Be it a lute-playing pretentious Sting or a "Great American Songbook " rapist like Rod Stewart, here's your chance to step up to the plate and swing, batter, swing! Have some fun and let'em have it !  I'll go first : When you reach the point where you can't manage to keep yourself on the stage ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD72-EhfIck ) or your bandmates are knocking you off the stage ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBO3we8v0Io ), maybe it's time to consider riding off into the sunset... Aerosmith, your ride is here... time to go !

D.

bprice2

Re: In the name of God, go !
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jan 2011, 04:34 pm »
The picture speaks for itself.  :roll:

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #2 on: 29 Jan 2011, 07:23 pm »
Eric Clapton, once great, now the epitome of suburban mediocrity. 

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #3 on: 29 Jan 2011, 07:35 pm »
The picture speaks for itself.  :roll:

And to think I idolized KISS thirty years ago.  :duh:  Never in a million years did I ever suspect that this group would sell out to the point of doing soda pop commercials with midget lookalikes.  :lol:  Reality shows aren't any better but I guess there's really no limits when it comes to making a cheap buck,, it's just a KISS of cherry8)

Cheers,
Robin

bside123

« Reply #4 on: 29 Jan 2011, 07:52 pm »

Since the 60s, I pretty much had followed everything in Dylan's career... all the changes, etc. I was a big fan. After seeing his poster size face in Victoria's Secrets and hearing cuts from his last several albums (including an X-mas record), I can't stand it anymore. Enough is too much, although it seems that Dylan never got enough of himself. For a good long time, sheer greatness came through him... now please stop!

Zero

« Reply #5 on: 29 Jan 2011, 08:07 pm »
Carlos Santana.   Arggg.. and it pains me to say it.

Lyndon

« Reply #6 on: 29 Jan 2011, 08:11 pm »
Art Garfunkel.
Went to a concert of his in Wendover, NV.  The angelic voice is GONE!  He uses an excellent band to cover it up.
But I heard no one coming out afterwards having anything positive to say.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #7 on: 30 Jan 2011, 06:18 am »
Don't forget your KISS Kasket on your way out..... :duh: :lol:

Mike Nomad

« Reply #8 on: 30 Jan 2011, 06:37 am »
Aerosmith.

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #9 on: 30 Jan 2011, 06:13 pm »
Carlos Santana.   Arggg.. and it pains me to say it.

As a long-time fan of Santana, I share your pain but it doesn't compare to the pain of listening to most of his output since Moonflower...The new covers album is a travesty.

And that picture of Kiss is haunting my dreams. "Psycho Circus"? More like "Suck-o Circus".

D.

simoon

« Reply #10 on: 31 Jan 2011, 05:20 pm »
It's been time for Yes to be put out to pasture too many years ago to count.

Their last good album was "Going for the One" in 1977.

Even if we give them a little leeway for a couple of releases after and some years for more tours, there is no reason for them to be together after the early 90's. 

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #11 on: 31 Jan 2011, 05:35 pm »
Any old fogey who is resorting to holding up the mike to audience on those high notes need to retire.  :duh:

Delta Wave

« Reply #12 on: 31 Jan 2011, 05:40 pm »
Jimmy Buffet, used to be a great song writer, now he's just a cliche and his music is completely bland.

Ozzy Osborne, much like Eric Clapton, he was always awesome in a band but always failed to hit the mark on his own... bland and boring.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #13 on: 31 Jan 2011, 06:55 pm »

Sir Elton John. He should have said good bye after Yellow Brick Road.

stereocilia

« Reply #14 on: 31 Jan 2011, 07:08 pm »
I may be unpopular in saying so, but I'm sorry I just have to mention Robert Plant.  He doesn't get a pass even though I think he belongs on the Mt. Rushmore of Rock.

HAITIMAN

« Reply #15 on: 31 Jan 2011, 07:16 pm »
Carol King.....must go.

I saw her with James Taylor and she was just disgraceful........aging hippy.

Oh....and Tom Petty needs to disappear....fast!

Mike Nomad

« Reply #16 on: 31 Jan 2011, 07:18 pm »
I forgot a couple of others, but first:

+1 on Santana. Nothing compelling after Lotus.

Have to disagree with the Dylan and Plant assessments. Dylan is still writing great songs, and his performance is much improved from the late80s - early90s. That said, his Christmas album is a dud.

Plant continues to do great stuff: The New Sensations; Raising Sand; and the Band Of Joy records are all really good.

The couple I left off earlier: The Rolling Stones, and Randy Newman. Ever since Randy turned himself into a soundtrack machine...

bprice2

« Reply #17 on: 31 Jan 2011, 07:47 pm »
I may be unpopular in saying so, but I'm sorry I just have to mention Robert Plant.  He doesn't get a pass even though I think he belongs on the Mt. Rushmore of Rock.

Oh man, say it ain't so.

BobC

« Reply #18 on: 31 Jan 2011, 08:56 pm »
+1 on Kiss
+1 on the Stones
Is Aerosmith still releasing albums?  If so, them too.

I'll add AC/DC and The Who.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #19 on: 31 Jan 2011, 09:00 pm »
I too disagree re Robert Plant and especially Tom Petty. Mojo is a great album and Petty's last tour ROCKED! :guitar: :rock: IMO they are a long way from being done.

I saw Dylan this summer with John Mellencamp and I agree it is time for him to quit touring.