In the name of God, go !

rpf

Re: In the name of God, go !
« Reply #20 on: 31 Jan 2011, 09:18 pm »
Carol King.....must go.

I saw her with James Taylor and she was just disgraceful........aging hippy.

Oh....and Tom Petty needs to disappear....fast!

Carol King never had a good voice (or even one effective for the material), despite being one of the great songwriters.

James Taylor did have a good voice but it's shot now.

+1 on the Who
+2 on the Stones

Actually pretty much any rock band from the Sixties to mid Seventies? Except Bruce.

Grace Slick had the right idea about retiring from singing rock at age 50. Almost makes up for the Starship.

Delta Wave

« Reply #21 on: 31 Jan 2011, 10:37 pm »
And oh yeah... Ritchie Blackmore.

Barry_NJ

• So much media... So little time...
« Reply #22 on: 31 Jan 2011, 10:52 pm »
To me it really depends on the music, and whether or not it's "Age/Era Appropriate". Much "Rock Music" is music of "Youthful Rebellion". Hearing songs of youthful rebellion from 65 year-olds just isn't right. The best folk music is relevant to its time, the world is not the same place it was 30-40 years ago. If an artist is writing new work, about their current view of the world, and they still have something worth saying that's great. If they're still churning out the same variation on a theme from 30 some years ago well...

bregez

« Reply #23 on: 1 Feb 2011, 12:50 am »
Bono and John Mellencamp.

Lyndon

« Reply #24 on: 1 Feb 2011, 01:18 am »
Ouch, you guys are hitting my icons all over the place.
But I generally agree.
The Chilean miners?  Must be a little joke. Didn't know they released an ep after coming up for air.

Unfortunately, there are simply a lot of bands who blow their creative force in their first couple of albums.
I'm not saying there are some gems in the following attempts, but there is usually a lot of filler.

I enjoy the Dead, but I think their peak was American Beauty and Workingman's Dead.  Both pretty solid efforts.

So John Mellencamp gets the axe from you boys, eh?  Let's see, it looks like he's blaming his wife for the lack of creativity, and sales success.  So after the divorce, and the spring/summer tour, maybe he can get the mojo working again?
Dylan may be writing good songs, but he has had two bad reviews from his performances out here in Utah.  He now sits behind his "piano" and lets the band do the "talkin'"
When does a band or an act become a caricature on the performance stage?
All this coverage and print on Lady Gaga.  I feel like that old lady in the hamburger commercial, "Where's the Beef?"
She has two ep's?  And now an album comprised of remixes of most of that older material?
And people are saying she is the greatest force since the Beatles?  Let's see the second album, girl.
Ah, to be hoisted with our own petards!
Supposedly, Marty Balin still has the golden pipes.  So does Graham Nash, not so much David Crosby... :cry:

Wind Chaser

« Reply #25 on: 1 Feb 2011, 01:35 am »
Roger Waters...

vinyl_lady

« Reply #26 on: 1 Feb 2011, 01:58 am »
Roger Waters...

Did you see the recent Wall tour? Roger Waters was terrific and the show/concert was exceptional. Well worth the $250/ticket price tag. Just my opinion.

BobC

« Reply #27 on: 1 Feb 2011, 02:18 am »
Agree.  Roger Waters and The Wall was awesome.

Also agree on the earlier "age approriate comment".  I think an old dude can hang out and play acoustic stuff forever....but guys in their 60's singing about sex, drugs, etc don't fit with my mental image.  It's like your parents talking about the sex!  Too much information!!!  :no_hear: 

Wind Chaser

« Reply #28 on: 1 Feb 2011, 02:53 am »
Did you see the recent Wall tour?

No, but how's his singing?

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #29 on: 1 Feb 2011, 03:15 am »
Heart.   Good grief, stop already.

Because they're also touring right now, and the radio won't shut the hell up about it, Stevie Nicks and Rod Stewart need to spontaneously combust.

:duh:

Have fun,
Jerry

bside123

« Reply #30 on: 1 Feb 2011, 03:30 am »
Ouch!

Johnny Winter

rodge827

« Reply #31 on: 1 Feb 2011, 01:41 pm »
Jimmy Buffet, used to be a great song writer, now he's just a cliche and his music is completely bland.
Sadly I agree :( he has been surviving on a fantasy and has burnt Margaritaville into the ground :icon_twisted:.
I saw a number of his shows in Camden, NJ during the 90's. If any one else was there please contact me and tell me about the good time I had :beer: :wine: :duh:

Oh and Phil Collins has Got To Gooo!  :P

baumer

« Reply #32 on: 1 Feb 2011, 01:45 pm »
Bruce Springsteen!!!

I'm a big fan of the Darkness/River/Nebraska era, but you could take everything he's done since the mid-eighties and put the decent songs on one album.

I've really tried to like "The Promise" but except for a couple songs it's mostly filler. There's a reason those songs weren't good enough for the album! Don't even get me started about the dubbed vocals on some of his old songs. Really!!!

soundbitten1

« Reply #33 on: 1 Feb 2011, 01:58 pm »

So John Mellencamp gets the axe from you boys, eh?  Let's see, it looks like he's blaming his wife for the lack of creativity, and sales success.  So after the divorce, and the spring/summer tour, maybe he can get the mojo working again?

I disagree. His recent album " No Better Than This" , IMHO, is one of his best.

OzarkTom

« Reply #34 on: 1 Feb 2011, 02:01 pm »
Definitely the Who, made themselves look very bad at last year's superbowl. Add the Bee Gees and Rod for their bad appearances on American Idol. AI is showing up a lot of over-the-hill artists.

It is amazing on how Ruck Springfield still looks at 61 years old.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #35 on: 1 Feb 2011, 02:01 pm »
Ouch!

Johnny Winter

My God!   I saw him at the Laurel Pop Festival in '69.  I haven't changed a bit!  WTF happened to him?  Too much sex, booze and rock and roll?   :lol:

EDIT:  If you even need a reason to tell your kids NOT to get tattoos, show 'em that image.    :nono: :oops:

Wally King

« Reply #36 on: 1 Feb 2011, 02:19 pm »
Ouch!

Johnny Winter

That is a truly disturbing image.

nathanm

« Reply #37 on: 1 Feb 2011, 03:23 pm »
I thought Old Man Winter was supposed to have a long white beard?  Or at least a big fur coat.  PLEASE, someone get Grandpa Winter a fur coat straight away!

bside123

« Reply #38 on: 1 Feb 2011, 03:34 pm »

George Clinton (age 70) of Parliament Funkdelic with Sly "and the Family" Stone (age 68). Thanks for bringing us the funk, but this is getting just toooo funky.

bside123

« Reply #39 on: 1 Feb 2011, 03:37 pm »

Any doubts?