In the name of God, go !

bside123

Re: In the name of God, go !
« Reply #80 on: 2 Feb 2011, 05:37 pm »
Okay... So, I've been checking out a bit of some recent Joe Cocker. Seems, that I was wrong.  :oops: He's been doing some pretty tasty music, along with some pretty impressive arrangements... big bands. :thumb: Thanks. I stand corrected. Some of his gesticulations (spastic movements) are still a little hard to keep rolling with at times, but alas, that's part of his signature art. Meanwhile, I'm sure you've all seen this "Happy Birthday Message to Joe Cocker - with captions for the Clear Headed."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpjNLjBbVd4

Enjoy!  :icon_lol:

bside123

« Reply #81 on: 2 Feb 2011, 05:40 pm »

Now, OTOH, can you think of musicians who have gotten better with age?

Richard Thompson, Dr. John and Leonard Cohen come to mind.

Seems like this would be appropriate for an entirely new thread. Although, you could kick it off with Joe Cocker!  :lol:

rpf

« Reply #82 on: 2 Feb 2011, 05:54 pm »
I saw Hot Tuna a couple of years ago and they were mostly great. Jorma's singing is a bit too ragged to hold up over electric guitars and amplifiers, which were turned up way too loud, but musically it was impressive.

I also saw Jorma do an acoustic set with Barry Mittersdorf recently in a small venue and that was just amazing, even if his voice is past it's prime.
« Last Edit: 2 Feb 2011, 07:33 pm by rpf »

hmen

« Reply #83 on: 2 Feb 2011, 05:59 pm »
Has anybody seen Crosby, Stills and Nash lately? I saw them last summer and they had a young guy with them who did about 90% of the vocals. They didn't even introduce him.   

Delta Wave

« Reply #84 on: 2 Feb 2011, 06:49 pm »
Let us not forget the Eagles... the jackasses that popularized the $100+ tickets. It's all been down hill from there for mainstream concerts.

lcrim

« Reply #85 on: 2 Feb 2011, 07:20 pm »
This thread is one of the most negative, nasty things I've seen posted on an internet board.  Most of you sound like a bunch of snotty, little girls.  If you don't like the music, let it go at that.  Making fun of people because they've gotten old is not a classy thing to get into.  If ever something needed to be binned, this is it.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #86 on: 2 Feb 2011, 07:26 pm »
This thread is one of the most negative, nasty things I've seen posted on an internet board.  Most of you sound like a bunch of snotty, little girls.  If you don't like the music, let it go at that.  Making fun of people because they've gotten old is not a classy thing to get into.  If ever something needed to be binned, this is it.

that's why i simply remarked about the groups i wish never got started, or that i stopped liking early in their careers.  nothing about age is an issue for me...   8)

doug s.

stereocilia

« Reply #87 on: 2 Feb 2011, 07:38 pm »
I love the last two Robert Plant records.  In my opinion, they're fantastic.  Then again, I can't stand Led Zeppelin.
Robert Plant's last records have gotten great reviews, but I feel they're missing something that would make them interesting.  Maybe I'm missing something!  Anyway, I do think Page and Plant's "No Quarter" from 2004 was good.

OzarkTom

« Reply #88 on: 2 Feb 2011, 07:38 pm »

Most of these bands are still touring and getting $$-$$$ for their perfomances. Should no one say anything about how they are still performing? Money is tight right mow, I have wasted $$$ on seeing some of these bands.

Maybe we should also comment on Taylor Swift, Katy Perry, Maroon 5? They all sound lousy live and they are not old. Time for them to get out of this business also.

I did see the B-52's last year in a free concert and they are still sounding strong. Heart too, saw them two years ago.

rpf

« Reply #89 on: 2 Feb 2011, 08:14 pm »
Making fun of people just because they look old is in very poor taste.

However making fun of old people who are trying to look and sound like young rock stars is a bit different.

This thread started out as a list of people who should no longer be performing because they no longer have the skills. Or perhaps because they are only doing the same material they did decades ago. Which is something else entirely.

BobC

« Reply #90 on: 2 Feb 2011, 08:44 pm »
Well, I dont feel like I was making fun of anybody.  We're all getting older everyday.

I like their music (mostly).  I just feel most of them (the hard rockers) have outlived their hard rockin' image.  The artist no longer fits the message.

Lyndon

« Reply #91 on: 2 Feb 2011, 08:47 pm »
This thread started out as a list of people who should no longer be performing because they no longer have the skills.

I'm with you, rpf, that was my intention.  But I do see the point about singing "I hope I die before I get old" and not singing that when you are old.  Does that make sense?  Anyway, I'm with you on the first point. I would not make fun of anybody's looks.  Just so they deliver the goods, and don't charge me for a joke! Art Garfunkel, do you hear me???

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #92 on: 2 Feb 2011, 09:07 pm »
Last night there was an improvised ice dancing program on TV where the skaters danced to a live performance by Journey, who were rinkside.
I'm sure it was a decent paycheck for the band, but it was kinda pathetic.

One issue we may have overlooked, is how many young people listen to music from the 60s, 70, and 80s?  Is it perhaps because most of what passes for music these days is homogenized, over-produced crap, with no soul?  Does that encourage the rock 'n roll geezers to keep going?  Did all their years on the road leave them unprepared for a real job?  Did they piss away all their riches on stupid things?  Did the record companies leave them broke?  Did they smoke so much dope that they can't realize how bad they look?   :roll:   :lol:

Anyway, if I can mention the years of the early 60s folk craze again, they may look rough these days, but so does their audience, and both seem comfortable in their aged skins.   These guys/gals don't seem to be trying to look like glitter rockers, huge hair bands, have humiliating "reality" shows like Ozzy Osbourne or Gene Simmons, or relive whatever brought them fame and glory.   It is just a love of the music, just like WE love music of our youth.

Should people like Ozzy and Gene be ridiculed?  Sure, but they are laughing all the way to the bank.  Do aged rockers who move to Branson for a paycheck be laughed at?  Maybe not so much because people accept Branson for what it, a place where geezers go for big breakfast buffets and a few bands from their youth. 

I don't think ridiculing performers well past their prime is a mean thing, anymore than we heap scorn on other washed-up public figures.  My father was a huge fan of a singer (whose name escapes me now), but I had a chance to see him perform about ten years ago.  He was EASILY three decades older than his promo photos, he botched songs, didn't have any range and even forgot lyrics.  Pathetic.  He overstayed his welcome by a bunch!

OK, I now return you to our regularly-scheduled programming.   8)

Minn Mark

« Reply #93 on: 2 Feb 2011, 09:20 pm »
OTOH,
Hunt you up a copy of Poet of the Guitar (1996?) by Celedonio Romero.....recorded when he was 80 !  I'd love to be able to play 1/2 as good.

Looks can be deceiving, and remember
a) none of us gets outta this alive
b) every day above ground is a good day.

Cheers !

Mark

blutto

« Reply #94 on: 2 Feb 2011, 09:20 pm »
Ever see the movie "Two Lane Blacktop?"  -- Brian Wilson [Edit:  Dennis Wilson ] and James Taylor before they were famous.  Such an odd movie that is; I can't decide if it's the best or the worst movie I've seen in a long time.

...well that is a blast from the past...remember seeing it way back when ( and managed to read the screen-play beforehand...and as a bit of written fiction it acquitted itself rather well )...thought the movie was very good...caught a neat slice of the spirit of the times...and good performances by all concerned, especially Warren Oates...

...even had a movie poster of same in my dorm room....

Cheers

blutto

Mike Nomad

« Reply #95 on: 2 Feb 2011, 09:34 pm »
Now, OTOH, can you think of musicians who have gotten better with age?

Richard Thompson, Dr. John and Leonard Cohen come to mind.

+11 on RT. Every time I see the guy, he's better than the last time, both acoustic and electric shows.

Not sure I can agree on Dr. John. As a big (not quite rabid) Dr. John fan, his last few records have hit me as scattered, with a lot of mediocre tracks. I saw him back in Dec. at FessFest. I hope it was just a bad night for him: He looked in real bad shape, and his playing didn't have quite the finessed muscle behind it I'm used to hearing.

Mitsuman

• Diamond Tone Junkie
« Reply #96 on: 2 Feb 2011, 09:38 pm »
Okay... So, I've been checking out a bit of some recent Joe Cocker. Seems, that I was wrong.  :oops: He's been doing some pretty tasty music, along with some pretty impressive arrangements... big bands. :thumb: Thanks. I stand corrected. Some of his gesticulations (spastic movements) are still a little hard to keep rolling with at times, but alas, that's part of his signature art. Meanwhile, I'm sure you've all seen this "Happy Birthday Message to Joe Cocker - with captions for the Clear Headed."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpjNLjBbVd4

Enjoy!  :icon_lol:

My wife and I saw him open for Steve Miller Band 2 summers ago, at an outdoor venue. He was in good voice, still very dynamic, and got a standing ovation. He was a tough act to follow, but I have to say Steve Miller can still rock, his band is very tight, and the sound was amazing for an outdoor event. Both have not lost a beat IMO.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #97 on: 2 Feb 2011, 09:38 pm »
Do we need to add William Schatner to the list of past-their-primes, along with Ozzy and Gene?   :nono: :lol:

Mitsuman

• Diamond Tone Junkie
« Reply #98 on: 2 Feb 2011, 09:41 pm »
Do we need to add William Schatner to the list of past-their-primes, along with Ozzy and Gene?   :nono: :lol:

Come on, his evil twin is still pretty good in those hotel commercials.  :lol:

Scott F.

« Reply #99 on: 2 Feb 2011, 10:17 pm »

Bob, Bob, Bob,

Shanter's not past his prime. You haven't lived until you've heard this.....

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Samples