St. Louis Audiofest?

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
Re: St. Louis Audiofest?
« Reply #80 on: 11 Jan 2011, 06:40 pm »
To do it realistically, we'd have to start planning now for an event in 2012 - not 2011 IMO. 

Bryan

Scott F.

« Reply #81 on: 11 Jan 2011, 06:52 pm »
This is just my opinion but I agree with Bryan and Dave. Trying to pull this off this year is a bit too optimistic.

...but I guess that is what we need to decide as a group.

It would be nice to have a few more GASsers weigh in with their thoughts and availability.

Mitsuman

• Diamond Tone Junkie
« Reply #82 on: 11 Jan 2011, 07:13 pm »
Being a new member, I hesitate to say too much but here's my $.02  :D

1) At the earliest, a date in late September/October would seem realistic and still very ambitious.
2) Even if we can muster enough local volunteers to help with organizing, booking, promoting,  etc., it comes down to how many and which vendors want to participate. (after all, they are the ones that need to realize a ROI for their time/money)
3) Vendors are what brings in the people, so I would defer to them on possible dates.
4) We would need someone in the local media to support the idea, and help us market this outside of "word of mouth"

As I mentioned, I may have an opportunity to move with a new job so I may not even be around, but if I'm still in The Lou if this thing happens I will gladly volunteer as much time as I can.

Craig

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #83 on: 11 Jan 2011, 07:42 pm »
Honestly fellas, I'm stoked about the idea, however.... Like I mentioned before, I've never even been to an organized audio event, much less be a part of the organization of one. Now that being said, I'm more than happy to help things progress, grow and prosper, but me taking a leadership role in something like this would be akin to Brittany Spears organizing troop deployment in a foreign country.

Would it be worthwhile at this point in time to take a poll of vendors that would be interested? If we get an avalanche of manufacturers falling at our feet, then maybe it would behoove us to give it a shot. If not, then....we can go back to our day jobs.

Either way, I would like to see this happen, whether it's in '11, or '12.

As the President of GAS, and your appointed leader, I feel bad and am a bit embarrassed for not taking the bull by the horns.  :oops:

Bob 

Scott F.

« Reply #84 on: 11 Jan 2011, 07:48 pm »
... but me taking a leadership role in something like this would be akin to Brittany Spears organizing troop deployment in a foreign country.

...now that's funny   :lol: :lol:

KenSeger

• Heavy and noisy, but beautiful
    • Ken's Plain Jane Website
« Reply #85 on: 11 Jan 2011, 08:44 pm »
I think the date of the event should not be close to other similar events, not so much for the audiophiles, but for the manufacturers/distributors sake.  Polling the manufacturers might make the most sense.  If we could get a list of manufacturers/distributors that attend other similar events, that would be a more useful group than polling all manufacturers whether they attend shows like this or not.

On the ROI factor, if some location around here offers the two room suite, which would appeal to me as an exhibitor in terms of security and price, that may or may not be the the best for the buck.  It depends on whether the exhibitor feels a static or active display works best.  I've never been to the Rocky Mountain show, what do they offer?

I have a nice big Suburban and would be happy to haul/help/transport as long as somebody with a strong back can do any heavy lifting needed.

bpape

• Industry Participant
« Reply #86 on: 11 Jan 2011, 08:49 pm »
Shows like this don't just go full bore over night.  AKFest started out as just a bunch of guys who hung out on Audio Karma that got together in a hotel to show their systems off and totally geek out for a weekend.  There were a few vendors there but mostly the ones in the Detroit area.  Over the years, it's grown to be more vendors but this took time.

Vendors come if they feel it's worth their time and money to do so.  It's a lot of money and a lot of time away from the business so it has to work.  This is especially true of smaller companies.  The key is to get it going even if small and get people talking about it to plan for the next year.  Then the vendors would be able to make a decision based on the 'buzz' about it and get a feel for how many people, if any of the audio press would be there, etc.  Keeping the prices reasonable also makes for an easier decision.

If we could start out with say 10 user rooms and get 10-12 vendors to get rooms, that would be a good start IMO.  That's not going to bring people from all over the country and not going to bring tons of audio press but it's a start that we can build on.  If in the first year, we can get enough cash from the show to break even on expenses and allow us to do a little bit of advertising for the next year, that too is a reasonable goal.

I wouldn't mind getting together this weekend but not sure of the schedule and availability at this point to be able to do it at my place.  If we did, how many people would show up so I can see if it's a viable option for me.  At this point, I was thinking of starting a poll to see what interest and support we had but would prefer to keep this thread together.   Let me know if you'd come, if either or both days are good, etc.

Bryan

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #87 on: 11 Jan 2011, 09:03 pm »
I wouldn't mind getting together this weekend but not sure of the schedule and availability at this point to be able to do it at my place.  If we did, how many people would show up so I can see if it's a viable option for me.  At this point, I was thinking of starting a poll to see what interest and support we had but would prefer to keep this thread together.   Let me know if you'd come, if either or both days are good, etc.

Well said Bryan.
I'm available this weekend (i think) but like Tim, I work Saturday.
I agree, we do need to tally our resources before charging forward.

Bob

Steve

« Reply #88 on: 11 Jan 2011, 09:13 pm »
Well said Bryan.
I'm available this weekend (i think) but like Tim, I work Saturday.
I agree, we do need to tally our resources before charging forward.

Bob

I agree, doesn't have to be gigantic in size to start off with. All we need is a few top quality local vendors, and/or products from Vendors to start off with. Some of the very best are right here in the midwest.

I have not only my equipment, but Selah Phast Jr. and probably Von Schweikert speakers as well.

As per polling vendors, I can make it to the St. Louis Audio Fest
(unless a death or other serious event happens).

Cheers.
« Last Edit: 12 Jan 2011, 04:39 am by Steve »

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #89 on: 11 Jan 2011, 09:16 pm »
I am tied up Saturday (eat your heart out, BISTL!), but could be available Sunday afternoon.

I agree with the wise ones who recommend 2012, and that contacting vendors should be the first thing we do after setting our internal goals.

Westport Plaza might be a good place, as well as St Charles.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #90 on: 11 Jan 2011, 09:42 pm »
I'll volunteer my house as a gathering place. I've sent my wifey an email asking when she'd tolerate the invasion.
I'll have beer, soda and pretzels.   :thumb:

Bob

Mitsuman

• Diamond Tone Junkie
« Reply #91 on: 11 Jan 2011, 09:51 pm »
I should be available this weekend.  :thumb:

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #92 on: 11 Jan 2011, 10:18 pm »
I received word back from the wife. Between birthday parties (including mine  :wink:) and days spent working, the only weekend day I have available is the 22nd.

Bob

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #93 on: 11 Jan 2011, 11:09 pm »
Tell her we'll take care of your birthday party.  She can just leave the mess to us.   :icon_twisted:

daves

« Reply #94 on: 11 Jan 2011, 11:33 pm »
I am available, and the basement is available for a meeting as well, in south county.

alexstl

« Reply #95 on: 13 Jan 2011, 02:15 am »
Is it possible that you can talk to the larger retailers in town, some of who are part of this board, and ask if they and their vendors might be supportive?  There are also many smaller local companies, listed in the past, that you could ask about their support or even just interest in showing.  Also we could talk to a company like Decware, that is not local but could easily set up in St. Louis.  Can we get 20 members to put a $100 each for research seed money?  Make it 19 as I will kick in. 

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #96 on: 13 Jan 2011, 02:25 am »
Me, too.

bpape

• Industry Participant
« Reply #97 on: 15 Jan 2011, 04:16 pm »
Well, based on the response, I'd say at this point that there is not enough interest from enough people to really make this fly.  We're all busy with our own things and something like this will take a lot of work over a long period of time - not to mention some cash up front.

We can continue to discuss this but IMO, until we can get say 10 people that have the time to really dedicate to this potential project, it's not going to fly.  Trying to have 5 or so people coordinate an event of this magnitude in the long run just isn't going to work.  RMAF for example has more than that just over the 3 day show period doing nothing but registrations, giving out badges and books etc.  Add in the time to make the badges, take care of the registration payments up front, do up a website, coordinate advertising, etc. and it's just not feasible.

Just my 2 cents.

Bryan

electricbear

« Reply #98 on: 15 Jan 2011, 04:57 pm »
I would love to be able to step up to the plate and volunteer but realistically I don't have time. Between my regular 9 to 7 at The Sound Room and 2 days a week at Weekend Only I don't have time to take care of the honey do's. I can help out a little bit here and there but I can't make a commitment of any major time.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #99 on: 15 Jan 2011, 05:33 pm »
Well, based on the response, I'd say at this point that there is not enough interest.........
:lol: Yea, as soon as the word "money" is thrown out there, the crickets just got louder.

Today I spoke with a man from the St. Louis RCGA (St. Louis Regional Chamber and Growth Association), and he thought this is a fantastic idea, he's very interested. But, it seemed to me he's interested in it from a personal standpoint, not professional. However, he did direct me to contact the St. Louis Convention & Visitors Commission. They're a non-profit organization that gets paid on the bed taxes. Their purpose in life seems like it would take much of the leg work off our hands as their goal is to bring folks to STL.
Sorry for the short choppy sentences. At work today........

Bob