St. Louis Audiofest?

OzarkTom

Re: St. Louis Audiofest?
« Reply #60 on: 9 Jan 2011, 03:53 pm »
Can anyone in St. Louis call the Embassy Suites in St. Charles direct tomorrow? I called the Embassy main operations and they referred to call St. Charles direct.

You can count me in to bring my system to show. And this would be a great show to sign up new members for the Gateway Audio Society, if you are looking for more members.

OzarkTom

« Reply #61 on: 9 Jan 2011, 04:01 pm »
Oh, jeez, not Texas! :lol:

OK, what does AKFest mean?    :scratch:

This may not be a good idea but here is an idea. The AK fest is in Detroit on the first weekend of May and the LSAF is on the third weekend of May. Contact some of the manufacturers about the second weekend of May to have one in St. Louis. The companies could have a 3-city show tour all in the month of May, if they can get away that long.

Detroit-St. Louis-Dallas

roscoeiii

« Reply #62 on: 9 Jan 2011, 04:07 pm »
I would suggest that a St Louis fest not be close to when AKFest is. I wouldn't want to take away from that event, since there would likely be some overlap in attendance (Chicagoans for example).

But we would also want to look on AudioKarma to make sure that AKFest is happening this year...

Scott F.

« Reply #63 on: 9 Jan 2011, 04:25 pm »
Tom,

Calling the hotels is a little premature at this point IMO. We (as a group) need to get together and talk this through and if we take it on as an organization we need assign tasks for individuals who will see them through to the end.

If GAS is going to sponsor this, then GAS (as a group) is going to manage it. Now, if an individual within (or outside) our group wants to sponsor an event here is St Louis, by all means, go for it. No doubt you would see a heavy GAS attendance as all of us would love to see a show done here in town.

So far, I've only seen a couple of GAS guys step up and volunteer. Of those, one committed to an active participation and the others mostly passive. I don't feel that one single person can pull this off. Maybe I'm wrong but having talked to Mike Baker (in detail) who put on the original Midwest Audiofest up in Lima (it was him and his wife) and others who put on VSAC and RMAF, I don't feel confident we (GAS) can pull this off without 4 to 6 guys taking an active roll in the event.

GAS Guys, if you want to do this, you've got to step up and share your thoughts. After everybody weighs in, we then need to get together and discuss how we as a group are going to manage the event. If one or two of you want to do this on your own, that is absolutely fine too but we (GAS) are going to need to separate ourselves from the organization. The reason for separation is that when the founders started GAS, we wanted to make it an NPO 503c that took any profits we might have made and set up something like a scholarship foundation for the music arts. If an individual wants to do this, there will likely be a P&L statement after the final accounting. Quite honestly, more power to you if you have the time to devote to try to pull this off but if the GAS name is going to be associated with this event, we need to meet as a group. both Bryan  and Tim have offered up their places so we can meet and discuss this.

Lets give this another few days so any members that may have not seen this thread can weigh in. Be sure to let some of the less active posters know this thread is here so they can add their thoughts.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #64 on: 9 Jan 2011, 04:59 pm »
This looks like a good time to use that massive list of GAS emails address I've accumulated for it's intended purpose...

Might also bump the GAS email "sign-up" thread (if I can find it) for any STL newcomers.

Bob

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #65 on: 9 Jan 2011, 05:10 pm »
Would one person please tell me if you received the email?
I've only done the mass group list thing once or twice, and want to make sure it went out correctly.

Thanks,
Bob

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #66 on: 9 Jan 2011, 05:13 pm »
I got it Bob.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #67 on: 9 Jan 2011, 05:16 pm »
Thank you Bryan.

I also received email confirmation of a volunteer to be the official photographer for the event (guess you can imagine who that is  :wink:) .

Thank you,
Bob

In addition to photographer, Mr. Brick can also use his vehicle to haul things. He's donated his ability to put pen to paper as our writer as well.

Mitsuman

• Diamond Tone Junkie
« Reply #68 on: 9 Jan 2011, 05:43 pm »
If I'm still around (jobby job opportunity in Texas) I would be happy to donate time, etc., to make this happen.

Blackmore

« Reply #69 on: 9 Jan 2011, 06:26 pm »
Could we meet next weekend (15th) to decide what we want and what we can do??????

Scott F.

« Reply #70 on: 9 Jan 2011, 08:18 pm »
If we can get enough guys to respond and commit, I'm available (except Friday night  :dance:  :wink: )

Hebrew Hammer

• Industry Participant
  • www.Randall-K.com
« Reply #71 on: 9 Jan 2011, 08:25 pm »
I'm always down for a good time..

dcfour

• Everyone must walk before they run.....
« Reply #72 on: 9 Jan 2011, 09:28 pm »
I love the idea of an event here in St Louis.  Would be willing to help and see if it can't be pulled off.  Hadn't been on the circle for a while, but got the email.  Good idea to send it out.   :thumb:

OzarkTom

« Reply #73 on: 9 Jan 2011, 09:44 pm »
Sorry to sound so impatient, of course it will take the guys and gals from GAS to pull this off.

St. Louis is the perfect place, look how many large cities close by.

Sarmck

« Reply #74 on: 10 Jan 2011, 04:19 pm »
Bob,

Got your email.  If there is anything I can do to contribute to the GAS event from a little distance away, let me know. I work the evening shift so mornings are free for phone calls, etc.

Ron
(A little south of the Red River)

jcrane

« Reply #75 on: 10 Jan 2011, 04:35 pm »
Between work and the new baby, I am not able to help organize but if it falls on the right weekend I could help the day of the event or I would be a willing listener. Sounds great guys, but with a 10 week old baby it is just the wrong time in my life to be fully devoted...

Jamie

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #76 on: 10 Jan 2011, 05:47 pm »
Could we meet next weekend (15th) to decide what we want and what we can do??????
Sounds good to me, but I work in West County until 3:00pm.  :roll:

Bob

Joe_K

« Reply #77 on: 10 Jan 2011, 06:23 pm »
Bob,
I got your e-mail!
Yes, I can help.
Joe

daves

« Reply #78 on: 11 Jan 2011, 02:04 am »
I can help, but I would be a little pessimistic about pulling off a major event in our first year, and with only four months of planning and pre-event publicity.

As far as trying to shoehorn the event in immediately before or after AKfest, I would say an emphatic NO. Friends that travel to Detroit for the fest have little to no desire to immediately blow a second weekend hitting another event, and pissing off the wife/SWMBO. My two cents...

sturgus

« Reply #79 on: 11 Jan 2011, 05:47 pm »
Bob, I got your email. I can donate some time to this endeavor during the week . Just let me know how I can help.
Sturgus