St. Louis Audiofest?

dwarfed centipede

Re: St. Louis Audiofest?
« Reply #40 on: 5 Jan 2011, 02:52 pm »
I would defiantly be willing to step up and help facilitate this, but my schedule of events and personal activities keep me busy until March or April.  If someone starts rolling with this until then, I would be able to step in and help when I get done with my engagements.

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #41 on: 5 Jan 2011, 03:10 pm »
Sorry - been a bit busy.  I'm up for it though it would be interesting facilitating and showing at the same time  :?

If there is serious interest in really doing this, I'd be more than happy to have the meeting at my place.  Have some personal things going on that have me unsure about when I will need to be gone for a week but other than that, I'm all for it.

Bryan

Scott F.

Re: Audiofest in St. Louis? Good idea?
« Reply #42 on: 5 Jan 2011, 03:17 pm »
Done. :thumb:
Paul

Thanks Paul  :thumb:

Guys, I guess at this point we need to take a straw pole to see who might be interested in facilitating a show. I'm only guessing here but I'd estimate we'd need 4-6 guys to get this thing off the ground. It's going to take a pretty fair commitment of time as there are all kinds of details that will need to be worked out ie;

- scouting potential venues,
- coordinating with the venue to have furniture removed,
- insuring the venue has decent power,
- making sure the venue has other hotels and parking around it along with food,
- calling vendors and getting firm commitments,
- securing entertainment if we go that route,
- manning the check in desk,
- creating and publishing a room/vendor guide,
- advertising to get the word out which includes local and national,
- plus there are a ton of other minor logistical items that will require your time that I haven't listed

To do this right, it's going to take a healthy commitment of time and resources from a number of people IMO. Last thing we would want is to sponsor an event that was poorly organized and chaotic. If we ever hope to host another event, the inaugural will have to go off without a hitch regardless of how many vendors participate.

We are going to need somebody to step up, think this through front to back, anticipate every conceivable scenario and then coordinate our forces with their assigned tasks. Those that commit will need to see it through to the end, regardless. Although I'd like to, personally, I don't have the time to devote. I'm way to busy at work.

So...do we have any volunteers?

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #43 on: 5 Jan 2011, 05:19 pm »
I have time to take a large roll in organization should we decide to move forward with this.  I'm sure the RMAF crew would be happy to help us get the ball rolling by laying out a checklist of all the issues we need to address, like what you just did Scott. 

Choosing the venue is obviously a very important decision.  A hotel is going to want a commitment, presumably with a cash outlay long before the event.  So finding a hotel (and a town) that needs an event will be helpful in getting a good deal.  With that in mind, one idea that popped into my head is the fact that Gateway Intl Raceway lost all it's big events for 2011 and all the surrounding areas are going to get killed because of it.  There are quite a few nice hotels in Collinsville, IL right off I-70 that have traditionally been the lodging for all the race teams and out of town race attendees.  I imagine that them losing a large percentage of their 2011 revenues would make them quite enthusiastic to host our event. 

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #44 on: 5 Jan 2011, 06:48 pm »
Well Scott scared the Hell out of me for a number of reasons. I may not be able to participate after all.  :?

Ryan, speaking of Gateway (owned by Dover Motorsports Inc), they not only lost all their races, they closed the place down.
One thing that came to mind, are all the room at the turn two tower. Those would be KILLER to hose such an event.
http://www.gatewayraceway.com/

Bob

roscoeiii

« Reply #45 on: 5 Jan 2011, 06:51 pm »
And maybe I could get in a couple of laps in my Accord? :icon_twisted:

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #46 on: 5 Jan 2011, 06:51 pm »
Yeah, Bob, and we could have a car audio contest out in the paddock!   :lol:

Mr Peabody

« Reply #47 on: 6 Jan 2011, 12:11 am »
A show in StL would be awesome.  I don't drive and would only have some nights and weekends but I would be willing to do what I could.

When soliciting don't forget the online retailers www.amusicdirect.com are in Chicago, www.acousticsounds.com is in Salina, KS, both not only sell gear but I'm sure would love to sell some vinyl.  Acousticsounds even has a recording studio.  Dynaudio reps are also in Chicago.  StL used to have our own share of reps as well, not sure how many are still here now.  The guys from Emotiva might be willing to come up as well.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #48 on: 6 Jan 2011, 01:56 am »
Yeah, Bob, and we could have a car audio contest out in the paddock!   :lol:
I know a fella (AC member) named "Opnly Bafld" (rough translation) that used to be a judge for car audio.
Quality, not quantity, mind you......

You might be onto something there Bob.  :wink:

Bob

EDIT: I wouldn't be opposed to sitting down with some folks and hashing out who, what, when, where, why....

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #49 on: 6 Jan 2011, 02:03 am »
I live @ 3 hrs away and would be willing to help before/during the show.

Lin
« Last Edit: 9 Jan 2011, 08:27 pm by opnly bafld »

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #50 on: 6 Jan 2011, 02:08 am »
Understood Lin.  :wink:

OzarkTom

« Reply #52 on: 7 Jan 2011, 03:53 am »
I Live in Springfield Mo., so I am too far away, but if the St. Louis people would just contact the ones that heads the LSAF, this might be easier than what it seems. The LSAF is a very laidback show, and whoever books the room to show, is how many rooms that Hammon's Embassy Suites book.

I even took my own personal system and showed there at $99 per night for two nights. My wife and I had a great time. It was a great learning experience.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #53 on: 7 Jan 2011, 04:19 am »
Tom, what is the LSAF?  I am halfway between you and STL.

Bob

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #54 on: 7 Jan 2011, 06:47 am »
LSAF ....Lone Star Audio Fest

http://lonestaraudiofest.com/

JohnR

« Reply #55 on: 7 Jan 2011, 06:50 am »

OzarkTom

« Reply #56 on: 7 Jan 2011, 01:35 pm »
Tom, what is the LSAF?  I am halfway between you and STL.

Bob

Now remember at the LSAF, if you are a used vendor that wants to clean out the gatage of audio equipment, a small or large audio manufacturer, a DIY designer or builder, a self exhibitor of your own system, or just a show attendee, the suite is $99 a night for two nights and you get to sleep there on top of it. That show is unbeatable for value in today's economy.

For the audio manufacturer, the main cost is traveling there with their set-up.

Blackmore

« Reply #57 on: 7 Jan 2011, 01:53 pm »
The LSAF would be a good model to emulate.  I'd bring my collection of silliness and set it up for a couple of days in an amateur room.  Maybe Euclid, Webster, Record Ex. and Vintage Vinyl could help with a "Software room".  I'd be glad to help if you guys pick the right month for me.  Some times during the year are impossible for me due to my teaching schedule. 

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #58 on: 7 Jan 2011, 02:47 pm »
LSAF ....Lone Star Audio Fest

http://lonestaraudiofest.com/

Oh, jeez, not Texas! :lol:

OK, what does AKFest mean?    :scratch:

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #59 on: 7 Jan 2011, 02:48 pm »
Now remember at the LSAF, if you are a used vendor that wants to clean out the gatage of audio equipment, a small or large audio manufacturer, a DIY designer or builder, a self exhibitor of your own system, or just a show attendee, the suite is $99 a night for two nights and you get to sleep there on top of it. That show is unbeatable for value in today's economy.

For the audio manufacturer, the main cost is traveling there with their set-up.

Can we have a GAS garage sale room?  I'll pitch in!    :thumb: