St. Louis Audiofest?

osageaudioproducts

• Industry Participant
    • Osage Audio Products
Re: St. Louis Audiofest?
« Reply #120 on: 26 Jan 2011, 11:54 pm »
One of my customers in the St. Louis area mentioned this discussion to me, so I thought that I should pass along the little bit that I know about organizing an event at a hotel with the hopes that it could be helpful to your group. 

I would also be interested in exploring the possiblities of exhibiting at the show should things work out.
I have not been involved in organizing a real audio show before, but I have been involved in organizing hotel-based shows of other types.  I have also done small audio events in both Maryland Heights and Fairview Heights in the past year, but those involved only one larger meeting room to hold two systems and just a small crowd.

There aren't any hard and fast rules of how things are that I know of, but there are a few things that I can think of from past experience that as an organizer you need to ask the management of the hotels that you contact. 

First, ask if you need to have any of your own liability coverage for your organization or if the hotel assumes liability for the event.  When it comes contract time, get this in writing.

With regard to furniture in the exhibit rooms you will find that not all hotels will allow it to be removed.  The reason for this is that there has to be a place to store it.  If they do have a place then the event organizer will be responsible for paying for the removal, storage, and replacement, but the hotel will normally get this done.  The charge will be included in the bill for the event.

Ask how far in advance the block of rooms needs to be booked.  When you do this you will need to have an idea of how many rooms that you need.  In order to get the rooms in the same area and to get reduced rates, hotels will normally want non-refundable payment in advance for the rooms.  That is why show organizers book exhibitors so far in advance and ask for non-refundable payment for the space.  The policy on this will vary from hotel to hotel, so be sure to ask up front.

Ask about the use of electricity, wireless internet, etc.  I know of some instances with other types of events where there was an additional charge when the hotel determined that the usage of electricy for the event was more than normal.  It sounds silly, but you need to ask.  If there would be an upcharge you need to be sure that it is compensated for in the rates that you charge exhibitors.

I think it would be nice to have an event in St. Louis.  I'm not sure that there has ever been one before.

Happy listening.

Jim Pendleton
Osage Audio Products, LLC

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #121 on: 27 Jan 2011, 12:56 am »
Good post Jim.

...And why aren't you listed in the STL Audio and HT Company thread?  :wink:

Bob

osageaudioproducts

• Industry Participant
    • Osage Audio Products
« Reply #122 on: 27 Jan 2011, 01:11 am »
Hi Bob,

Just caught your comments.  I'm happy to help, if that did indeed help.

I was not aware of there being any type of place for me to post any information, but I have to admit that I generally stay too busy to look around the audio forums much.  I will list some information there. 

I am actually in the Columbia, MO area, but I service a number of customers in the St. Louis area.  I'm the "local" source over a large area for such brands as Clearaudio, Benz, Phonomena, Merrill-Williams, E.A.R., Sutherland, NSR Sonic Research, QUAD, and Lejonklou.  I'm in the St. Louis area a time or two just about every  month setting up a turntable or something.

Please keep me posted about the show.  I would also suggest that you get in touch with Marjorie Baumert of RMAF, but do it soon.  Her time will be pretty well tied up on a few weeks planning her own show.  I suggest talking to her because RMAF is the best run audio show that I've seen from an exhibitor's standpoint.  It's done in such a way as to make the investment of time and money worthwhile for an exhibitor.

Best regards.

Jim Pendleton
Osage Audio Products, LLC

Steve

« Reply #123 on: 13 Feb 2011, 01:16 am »
Haven't heard anything for awhile and just wondering what the status is?

Cheers.

daves

« Reply #124 on: 13 Feb 2011, 02:17 am »
Steve, I am hosting a gathering next weekend and was hoping we could achieve a small quorum of reliable folks to adequately discuss/begin baby steps for an event next year. Outside of Scott's annual fete at his house, it is hard to get more than ten active local people in a single spot.

Steve

« Reply #125 on: 14 Feb 2011, 12:22 am »
Steve, I am hosting a gathering next weekend and was hoping we could achieve a small quorum of reliable folks to adequately discuss/begin baby steps for an event next year. Outside of Scott's annual fete at his house, it is hard to get more than ten active local people in a single spot.

Thanks for the update Daves. Much appreciated.

KenSeger

• Heavy and noisy, but beautiful
    • Ken's Plain Jane Website
« Reply #126 on: 20 Feb 2011, 04:26 pm »
The Forest Park shuttle operates from late may to early September.
http://www.forestparkforever.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/2010-forest-park-shuttle-info-sheet.pdf.
Here are the links to Forest Park attractions
http://stlouis.missouri.org/citygov/parks/forestpark/

with seperate pages for art museum, history museum, science center, et cetra.
The Metrolink map http://www.metrostlouis.org/PlanYourTrip/MapsSchedules/MetroLink.aspx shows how the MetroLink can transport people between the airport, the Loop, Forest Park, Downtown Clayton, Downtown St. Louis Cirty, and most importantly drop you off 0.75 miles from Ted Drewes!
Ken

kentj1948

« Reply #127 on: 15 Mar 2011, 06:36 pm »
Greetings,

I met with two marketing people at the Moonrise Hotel in the Loop this morning.  The feeling that I got was that the hotel finds the idea of "Audiofest Midwest" an interesting one, i.e. they didn't laugh and kick me out.  They need to discuss it further and also need to check with their engineering people.  Rooms will have to be emptied and adequate electricity has to be available.  It looks like we would take up two floors of the building for approximately 25 exhibitors.  I saw the smaller of their two room sizes and I think their rooms will work fine.  The two large meeting rooms look very workable as well.  Additional meeting rooms are available at the Regional Arts Commission across the street. Parking appears to be adequate. 

A rough estimate of cost for an exhibitor is $1500.  This would give them their room from
Friday noon to Monday morning.     

As far as family-friendly dates are concerned, possibilities are the first or second weekend of June 2012, the last two weekends of August, or possibly around Spring break next March.   

I am supposed to hear back from them in a week.  In that time frame, we should try to decide when to hold the show.  My feeling is for early June as late August may be getting too close to RMAF. Spring break may be too variable across the area to work well.

Let's talk further at Saturday's field trip.

In other news, Dave S will handle putting together a web site once we have the specifics settled.  Jim Pendleton has suggested doing a seminar as part of the show (almost certainly on vinyl) and he will look into possible speakers. 

In a week or so we might be in a position to make a GO/NOGO decision on this.  Sort of frightening.

Kentj 636-399-8053 kentjohnson48@yahoo.com