St. Louis Audiofest?

es347

• Volunteer
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
Re: St. Louis Audiofest?
« Reply #20 on: 3 Jan 2011, 04:41 pm »
Just remember gentlemen, Indy = The Crossroads of America  :thumb:

OzarkTom

Re: Audiofest in St. Louis? Good idea?
« Reply #21 on: 3 Jan 2011, 04:43 pm »

Another point, I once heard Peoria has a bureau that helps in planning events in Peoria. I wonder if St. Louis also has such a bureau to help bring in events (to help bring in tax moneys)?

Cheers.

Look at what the LSAF and Embassy Suites do for the vendors in Texas. Just to get this started, that is a good way to start to keep the costs down for everyone, then let it slowly build.

Steve

« Reply #22 on: 3 Jan 2011, 04:49 pm »
Not sure about that Steve. Don't even have a clue where I'd find that out.  :scratch:

I see you're near Peoria.....

Bob

Not trying to push you into the job, just a thought for someone who might be interested. Might give St. Louis, or a suberb, city hall a call.

Cheers Bob.

Steve Sammet

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Last Edit: 3 Jan 2011, 10:41 pm by opnly bafld »

Steve

« Reply #24 on: 3 Jan 2011, 05:01 pm »
Hi Tom,

I believe AKfest in Detroit also used Embassy Suites with some 40 or more vendors (2009).

Cheers.

Hebrew Hammer

• Industry Participant
  • www.Randall-K.com
« Reply #25 on: 3 Jan 2011, 10:24 pm »
Great thought Bob. Yes, maybe it could become such.

Another point, I once heard Peoria has a bureau that helps in planning events in Peoria. I wonder if St. Louis also has such a bureau to help bring in events (to help bring in tax moneys)? If so, they might be able to help out, just a thought.

Cheers.

All cities benefit from shows of any type.. but it's smaller cities that truly do anything with helping.. St.Louis has a ton of stuff constantly going on and unless "x" amount of projected revenue is guaranteed, I doubt you'll find much help...

now St.Charles maybe a little different..

But, all that's needed is for somebody to take project lead and get in contact with said location and from there get all available dates to give to mfg's for commitment.. then do some due diligence via all the audio forums to gain awareness along with facebook and twitter..

keep costs down for the initial show since I am sure allot of mistakes will be made and make each subsequent show better then the one prior..

dwarfed centipede

« Reply #26 on: 3 Jan 2011, 11:02 pm »
This sounds like a lot of fun.  Would there be an entrance fee to show off our stuff?  I might have to build some new speakers to showcase if this event takes off.  (just give me a few month's head start so I can try to compete with Hammer)  :lol:

gooberdude

« Reply #27 on: 3 Jan 2011, 11:03 pm »
A good friend of mine from high school is one of the Directors at the Convention Center downtown StL.  I'll shoot her an e-mail asking for advice.

She sells StL every day, and coordinates large & small events there.

What's up Bob!!   I'm back - kinda   :green:

matt

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #28 on: 4 Jan 2011, 01:49 am »
What's up Bob!!   I'm back - kinda   :green:

DUDE...........  :o ........... <insert big man hug here> .......... :thumb:
Good to see you're still kickin' Matt.
Time to catch up on old times. Hit me up. Lemme know what's going on and your current story (but not here).

Bob - bobinstlouis{at}att{dot}net

gooberdude

« Reply #29 on: 4 Jan 2011, 07:34 pm »
Hey Bob, sent ya a PM.   8)

I spoke w/The Convention Center, and they handle groups from 10 hotel rooms up to over 200.  They have contacts w/all local hotels, and often hold events outside the Convention Center grounds.  PM me if that level of involvement would help get the ball rolling.

matt

Steve

« Reply #30 on: 4 Jan 2011, 10:15 pm »
Hey Bob, sent ya a PM.   8)

I spoke w/The Convention Center, and they handle groups from 10 hotel rooms up to over 200.  They have contacts w/all local hotels, and often hold events outside the Convention Center grounds.  PM me if that level of involvement would help get the ball rolling.

matt

Thanks Matt. They will be able to provide a wealth of good info and expertise.

Cheers.

Steve
« Last Edit: 5 Jan 2011, 03:10 am by Steve »

JAMn Joe

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.jamnaudio.com
« Reply #31 on: 4 Jan 2011, 11:35 pm »
Not to be a downer guys but just a different perspective from a dealer/manufacturers point of view. There are more and more shows coming out each year, Montreal, Washington, Atlanta, Michigan, Colorado, Texas, Vegas and now The Show in California and I think there is one further up the West Coast as well. The guys from Montreal are now also planning a Toronto show that is the week before RMAF as well.

To be realistic, shows are very expensive both from a perspective of showing as well as taking time away from running the business. The industry is not in the best of shape right now so I'm not sure asking dealers and manufacturers to add one more show to their itinerary is the best idea, at least for the present time. I know just trying to pay for RMAF set us back almost $10K and that's pretty much what you can expect to pay as a vendor for each show more or less. I know some of the shows cost less because you don't have to pay as much for a room but it's still not cheap to put a show in.

Just food for thought from the otherside.

OzarkTom

« Reply #32 on: 5 Jan 2011, 01:46 am »
I know just trying to pay for RMAF set us back almost $10K and that's pretty much what you can expect to pay as a vendor for each show more or less. I know some of the shows cost less because you don't have to pay as much for a room but it's still not cheap to put a show in.

That is why the LSAF is such a deal. Here is the quoted requirements at LSAF.

"The LSAF is a niche show, catering to the small manufacturer's need for an affordable event. Suites are $99/nite and there are no other fees for exhibitors. Ther's no visitors fee either. The two-room suites enable exhibitors to sleep in the bedroom and exhibit in the front room with no need to move hotel furniture, so the total cost to exhibit is $99/nite plus taxes."

Many of those manufacturers at LSAF said they sold as much at that show as they did the RMAF, even though the show was much much smaller.

Steve

« Reply #33 on: 5 Jan 2011, 03:02 am »
That is why the LSAF is such a deal. Here is the quoted requirements at LSAF.

"The LSAF is a niche show, catering to the small manufacturer's need for an affordable event. Suites are $99/nite and there are no other fees for exhibitors. Ther's no visitors fee either. The two-room suites enable exhibitors to sleep in the bedroom and exhibit in the front room with no need to move hotel furniture, so the total cost to exhibit is $99/nite plus taxes."

Many of those manufacturers at LSAF said they sold as much at that show as they did the RMAF, even though the show was much much smaller.

I agree. Even the AKfest in Detroit was a grand to exhibit, so much less  than RMAF.

Montreal, Washington, Atlanta, Michigan, Colorado, Texas, Vegas and now The Show in California and I think there is one further up the West Coast as well.

However Joe, it appears almost all on the border or coasts, with the midwest being left out and with great distances to travel.

I think St. Louis is centrally located, close to other major cities, with less travel for folks.

But it is up to those in in the area to decide.

Cheers.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #34 on: 5 Jan 2011, 03:21 am »
But it is up to those in in the area to decide.
Sounds like you're searching for somebody to gather up this posse.  :lol:

Bob

Steve

« Reply #35 on: 5 Jan 2011, 03:25 am »
Sounds like you're searching for somebody to gather up this posse.  :lol:

Bob

It is not my decision, although I brought up the idea.  :lol:

OzarkTom

« Reply #36 on: 5 Jan 2011, 03:29 am »
It is not my decision, although I brought up the subject.  :lol:

Are there any audiophile clubs in St. Louis? I know there are a lot of audiophiles there.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #37 on: 5 Jan 2011, 03:39 am »
Are there any audiophile clubs in St. Louis? I know there are a lot of audiophiles there.
Yea, there's a few. They even have a name for themselves and a place to hang out.  :wink:

This sounds like something that would be pretty cool to be a part of.
I'd love to "be the man", but would hate to cost people money if I fail to deliver on all the grandiose pomp and circumstance that I had to promise up front for a potentially mediocre final outcome.    :?

Bob

Scott F.

« Reply #38 on: 5 Jan 2011, 04:22 am »
We have the Gateway Audio Society or GAS for short.

As Bob mentioned before, this thread is in the Audio Shows and Events Circle. Not many of the GAS guys watch this Circle. There is a secondary thread going on in the GAS Circle. Not sure where all of our regulars are but only a couple have weighed in.

Here is a link to that thread GAS thread

I'm not sure if it is a possibility but if we could combine these two threads into a single thread in the GAS Circle, it would make the chances that the rest of the GAS group will finally notice the thread go up significantly.

I can say this (as I did previously), pulling off an audio show is going to take a number of people to make sure all goes well. No one or two people are going to do it (well) and have any hopes of anyone wanting to return. We are going to need a number of GAS guys to commit and see this through to the end.

Right now we don't have any gatherings scheduled where we can discuss it as a group. When the full crew shows up at our major events, we have north of 40 people.

Realistically, before we (GAS) commit to this, we need to discuss it as a group. To do that, we'll need to gather at someones house so we'll need someone to step up and set a date. Right now my basement is completely torn apart as we've just installed a sump pump and drainage pipe around the interior foundation, otherwise I'd volunteer my place.

I'm not sure who the facilitator is for this Circle (Fred? Pez?) but could you work with Bob (inStL) to merge the two separate threads into one in the GAS Circle so we (GAS) can get the rest of the GAS members involved?

TYVM

pjchappy

« Reply #39 on: 5 Jan 2011, 07:01 am »
I'm not sure if it is a possibility but if we could combine these two threads into a single thread in the GAS Circle, it would make the chances that the rest of the GAS group will finally notice the thread go up significantly.

Done. :thumb:

Paul