The thruth about speaker cables...

Guy 13

Re: The thruth about speaker cables...
« Reply #60 on: 3 Dec 2010, 12:09 pm »
I'm pretty sure that Batman was kidding you and Pez...
Hi Eleven.
Sorry, no more comments from me.
Guy 13

Danny Richie

« Reply #61 on: 3 Dec 2010, 03:45 pm »
Hi Batman, sorry, hi Robin...
How about if you re-write your above comments...
I am sure you can do better than that !
Danny, I apologize for posting my cables thread in your speakers site.
I won't happen again, because I won't post again.
From now on, I will keep my opinions for myself.
Have some nice posting you Audio Circle members in general and a few other Audio Circle members that think they know everything asnd don't accept someone with a different opinion than theirs...
Guy 13

Guy, I am certain that Robin was kidding and taking a well spirited poke at his friend Pez. This would be the last kind of thread that he would want to moderate over there. You are totally fine. And surprisingly this thread has been pretty civil so far.

mort

« Reply #62 on: 3 Dec 2010, 03:54 pm »
This whole thread is f*****g retarded. No one can tell anyone else what they can or cant hear. Hearing along with any other sensory brain comunication is perceptive! The only way you could ever prove any opinion in any definative way would be a through a test with a speaker cable switching device simular to the box in the sugested article. This test would have to take place at the home of the person beeing challenged with their equipment, their listening material and their favorite high dollar cabels V.S low dollar (raidio shack) conductors. That person would undoubtebly hear a switch, the question presented would be if they could tell wich cable they are listening to.
I dont understand why these double blind test are not a common place in this industry. People just love to dissagree continuously without ever searching for definative anwsers.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #63 on: 3 Dec 2010, 03:58 pm »
I'm pretty sure that Batman was kidding you and Pez...

I highly doubt it.  He is the Chief of the A.C. citizen patrol task force.

NeilT

« Reply #64 on: 3 Dec 2010, 04:00 pm »
Guy 13

Hi Guy, don't you dare quit making comments. You are a breath of fresh air. Reminds me of the kid that said, "hey the emperor is not wearing any clothes". I am a monoprice cable kind of guy, but after reading this thread, I am going to try or demo some high priced cables and see if I hear a difference.

Thank you for starting this post and keep em coming.

Neil

Danny Richie

« Reply #65 on: 3 Dec 2010, 04:05 pm »
This whole thread is f*****g retarded. No one can tell anyone else what they can or cant hear. Hearing along with any other sensory brain comunication is perceptive! The only way you could ever prove any opinion in any definative way would be a through a test with a speaker cable switching device simular to the box in the sugested article. This test would have to take place at the home of the person beeing challenged with their equipment, their listening material and their favorite high dollar cabels V.S low dollar (raidio shack) conductors. That person would undoubtebly hear a switch, the question presented would be if they could tell wich cable they are listening to.
I dont understand why these double blind test are not a common place in this industry. People just love to dissagree continuously without ever searching for definative anwsers.

Relax a little.

And it doesn't work that way. If you have two sets of cables hooked up to the back of a speaker but switch between them with a switch box at the source, then you still have two sets of cables hooked up to the speakers. Even though only one set is live at a time as far as carrying the signal, both sets are active all the time as being an antenna. So you get some effects of then both even though you are using just one. The best way to compare is to disconnect and connect.

mort

« Reply #66 on: 3 Dec 2010, 04:11 pm »
I believe (but could be mistaken) that through the second box, a relay box hooked up at the speaker, the other conductor was droped out of the loop at bolth speaker and amplifier. I also have a hard time believing the Antenna effect otherwise would not your speakers make precievable noises picked up from interfearing signals with the amplifiers and other electronics turned off? P.S. sorry about the explative!

raindance

« Reply #67 on: 3 Dec 2010, 04:18 pm »
Antennas on a low impedance speaker feed? Does anyone realize how improbable that is? You might pick up a nearby lightning strike...

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #68 on: 3 Dec 2010, 04:22 pm »
I highly doubt it.  He is the Chief of the A.C. citizen patrol task force.

Seems like you've taken on that job lately Jason and jumping right in there just fine with your $.0002 I might add.  :kiss:

Cheers,
Robin

Danny Richie

« Reply #69 on: 3 Dec 2010, 04:24 pm »
I believe (but could be mistaken) that through the second box, a relay box hooked up at the speaker, the other conductor was droped out of the loop at bolth speaker and amplifier. I also have a hard time believing the Antenna effect otherwise would not your speakers make precievable noises picked up from interfearing signals with the amplifiers and other electronics turned off? P.S. sorry about the explative!

I have been down this road before, and have a really well made switch box on the shelf behind me.

It has high quality relays and all Cardas binding posts.

Now what you are talking about would be two of them. One at the front and one at the back. Do you realize how many other sets of wires and connections you are adding to the signal path? All of that stuff has a considerable effect. Trust me, it is very easy to just switch cables.

Mitsuman

• Diamond Tone Junkie
« Reply #70 on: 3 Dec 2010, 04:25 pm »
Antennas on a low impedance speaker feed? Does anyone realize how improbable that is? You might pick up a nearby lightning strike...

Our previous house was directly in line with the flightpath of National Guard aircraft that used to fly over all the time. Several times in the middle of the night, I was awakened to a gawdawful sound (I used to keep my system on 24/7) coming from my family room. I was picking up interference from the radio being used by the flight crew. I could hear a thump, thump, thump sound coming through both speakers as they clicked their microphone. Turns out I had two runs of speaker cable lying side-by-side along the baseboards. One set was to my main speakers in the house and the other set fed some outdoor speakers we had on our 3 season porch. It does happen.  :duh:

Danny Richie

« Reply #71 on: 3 Dec 2010, 04:26 pm »

See the pic I just posted. I tried it and it makes a difference.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #72 on: 3 Dec 2010, 04:26 pm »

Seems like you've taken on that job lately Jason and jumping right in there just fine with your $.0002 I might add.  :kiss:

Cheers,
Robin

:nono:

chlorofille

• 8'' MTM with scanspeak 21w8554 & D2904 7100
« Reply #73 on: 3 Dec 2010, 04:30 pm »
Guy 13

Guy pls come back. We need you !! :evil:

Danny Richie

« Reply #74 on: 3 Dec 2010, 04:32 pm »
Hi Guy, don't you dare quit making comments. You are a breath of fresh air.

I agree!

satfrat

• Restricted

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #76 on: 3 Dec 2010, 04:43 pm »

I agree!

Batman agrees too.  :lol:

praedet

« Reply #77 on: 3 Dec 2010, 05:29 pm »
As a new person to the realm of "higher" end sound, (above what the avg consumer would buy if they wanted to get "The Best" they could find at BB, CC, or Sears ;)) I think a lot of these discussions are quite interesting....

While sound and the various frequencies above or below what we can hear are is identifiable, measurable, quantifiable, etc., how each of us hears them is not.  At least at this point.  The actual listening part of music is 100% subjective.  Now, most people agree that a good steak is better than a piece of chuck (atleast when prepared the same), how the steak is prepared matters to each individual, and is not necessarily quantifiable with simple measurements.  The measurement says the steak is "Medium Well" and a "Choice" sirloin.  But what if I like a little more fat and I like my steak rare.  Someone else could like it well and VERY lean and dry.  Neither of us is wrong, it is simply a subjective measurement....

Audio is that.  While we can agree on many things, subtle things could be audible or inaudible to some folks period, not even factoring in the differences in these folks systems.  And if the person who believes X does not effect sound enjoys their music, as well as the person who believes it does matter, why should either be offended?  It is an OPINION about a SUBJECTIVE piece of data.  :duh:

I do think that those that have not tried something yet should have an open mind and try it unless there are bad consequences to trying (ie trying out jumping off a bridge or trying out drunk driving) or religious problems.

Luckily changing caps, resistors and cables doesn’t have the bad consequences.  So EVERYONE can try it, and decide for themselves.

As an Engineer who is back in school for the 3rd time, I liked, and noticed, the changes I have experienced as I changed cables.  Even though I can’t throw them in the hypersonic wind tunnel I am working in and measure what they change :lol:

turkey

« Reply #78 on: 3 Dec 2010, 05:32 pm »
Read the articles and am only glad that 'on average' a woman's hearing is in far better shape than a man's hearing as we all get older.

It's not really relevant since there isn't an awful lot going on at high frequencies at the listening position in a concert hall or a living room. Add in the equal-loudness contours and you'll see that hearing above maybe 15kHz isn't that important unless you're a bat. (It's probably lower than that even, perhaps somewhere in the 10-12kHz range.)

turkey

« Reply #79 on: 3 Dec 2010, 05:40 pm »
And only $18.9k :roll:  I've seen people refer to his opinions many times of the years.  I also never understand why people feel the need to quote someone they know nothing about and tout the person as an expert vs. listen and come to your own conclusions.  No one can argue what you can or cannot hear rationally.

I've exchanged e-mail with Roger a few times, and he _is_ an expert. I don't completely agree with his philosophy on building speakers, but he proceeds from that starting point and does quality design work.