Welcome to GAS

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
Re: Welcome to GAS
« Reply #180 on: 27 Nov 2011, 03:53 pm »
A 60's-70's ish vintage tube system with decent speakers can be very satisfying and a lot of fun to listen to.    :drums: :guitar:

Something like a Mac or Fisher amp/receiver, maybe Dynaco driving some Advents or Allisons just makes you wanna tap your toes, forget about the equipment, and just listen to the music! :banana piano:

Bryan

Mitsuman

• Diamond Tone Junkie
« Reply #181 on: 27 Nov 2011, 03:55 pm »
Hehe :lol:

Yeah, Chris is a terrible influence! I've been into saltwater tanks for 10 years and recently redid my home theater in the basement. I've been wanting to give it a try for a while now and my room needs some serious acoustical treatment. I've got an 8 foot aquarium on one wall, then a closet, then another 5 feet of aquarium. The other wall is drywall and a sectional sofa. The back of the room opens up to the stairs going up. So, if anyone wants to help troubleshoot the acoustics with us that would be a huge help and start down the downward spiral:D I live in Oakville off Telegraph and Heintz Road.

I'm thinking about starting with bookshelf speakers and going from there. Chris likes the Merlins and I was checking out Ryan's Vapor lines and want to plan a visit there as well. Thanks for the warm welcome:)

Another Oakvillian here.  :icon_lol:

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #182 on: 28 Nov 2011, 02:51 am »
Hey, Mitsuman!  Check out this classic on your friendly local CL!

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/ele/2715938821.html

MerRev

« Reply #183 on: 28 Nov 2011, 03:37 am »
thanks Bob, Vance and Sturg.   :green: 

Audiocircle and especially the group in GAS really are special people.  I asked a million questions & everyone was nice enough to let me seek my own path.   
Three or four paths ain't so bad- right :scratch: 
Anyway, I'm happy to see my reputation is holding up. 

Nanook should be off in running in no time.  Bryan, we may come running at some point though.    :wink:

-Chris

Mitsuman

• Diamond Tone Junkie
« Reply #184 on: 28 Nov 2011, 11:38 am »
Hey, Mitsuman!  Check out this classic on your friendly local CL!

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/ele/2715938821.html

Uhhh, I consider that to be Mitsubishi's Edsel. The LT-5V vertical was a well made and good sounding unit. That all-in-one is a disgrace.  :duh:

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #185 on: 28 Nov 2011, 02:44 pm »
Yeah, but it is cool in bizarre way; just like the Edsel!

Just yanking your chain, MM.   :thumb:

Feedback1

« Reply #186 on: 7 Dec 2011, 05:05 pm »
There's a disused HH Scott Receiver in deepest Affton

tshifrin

« Reply #187 on: 16 Dec 2011, 03:58 pm »
Hi there, fellow St. Louisans! I'd like to introduce myself as a long time stereophile and recent student of DIY speaker building. By stereophile, I mean I've collected several small systems over the years; my main listening is CDs through a small tube pre, old solid state Mc amps, and old Magnepan speakers. I'll immediately correct that: my main listening is in Powell Hall during Symphony season; we have an exceptional orchestra!
Recently I've decided to learn a bit more about speaker design, so I launched a self-study program of reading Alden's Speaker Building 201, Dickason's Cookbook, and lurking about these forums. I've decided that my first project will be a simple sub-woofer, which I'll complicate by changing drivers, and sealed-ported, to experience for myself what different Qs sound like. I know this is a simple project, and I've seen you all be more than helpful in designing and posting graphs for those who ask, but my intention is to try to design this myself and intentionally control a few variables so my ears can experience what the numbers say. I'm sure to have a bunch of basic questions, so I look forward to your comments and help.
I've been following several threads about building different designs, and have already learned a lot from your discussions, so Thank You all for sharing your knowledge with this newcomer.

Tom
Located in a little slice of unincorporated St. Louis County between Olivette and Creve Couer, MO.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #188 on: 16 Dec 2011, 04:03 pm »
Welcome Tom!  :wave:
Glad to see you found your way over buddy.

Bob

dwarfed centipede

« Reply #189 on: 21 Dec 2011, 02:56 pm »
Welcome Tom!  May I suggest a free sub box program "winISD pro" by linearTeam.  http://www.linearteam.dk/default.aspx?download=winisdpro That is what I used for my first sub box DIY project.  The graphs can really help you visualize what a specific box size will sound like before you start building anything.

electricbear

« Reply #190 on: 21 Dec 2011, 03:28 pm »
Hi Tom, welcome on board. You'll find the GAS crew are a great bunch of guys.

steve k

« Reply #191 on: 21 Dec 2011, 04:14 pm »
Welcome aboard Tom! I agree about the symphony--we try to get over there as much as possible. Do you play for them? Good luck with the speaker design--there are lot's of experts in GAS to help.
steve k

tshifrin

« Reply #192 on: 22 Dec 2011, 05:00 pm »
Thanks for the "Welcomes." No, Steve, I don't play for the Symphony, I just have season tickets, so I enjoy the music greatly. I've been plodding my way through WinISD and a program I bought from Parts Express called Winspeakerz; they seem to do much the same except Winspeakerz cost bucks and WinISD does more (I think). I had some issues entering drivers in WinISD until I stumbled across some tutorial material on the Web and started entering less data. Now my questions center on why different choices work best: i.e.- Why does one size box work better than another for a sealed sub; or how do I choose a tuning frequency for a ported box? I'm just starting to dig into Speaker Building 201, so I'm sure I'll begin finding some guidance on these basics soon, otherwise, I'll be bugging you all for help- I'll let you know when I'm truly stuck.
Meanwhile I had my first experience breathing MDF dust cutting a hole in my sub box, so I'm off to buy some paper masks before I cut again.
Cheers!

Tom

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #193 on: 22 Dec 2011, 06:30 pm »
MDF is one of the nastiest thing in the world you can breathe Tom. Not just the physical dust, but the outgassing of the formaldehyde and other chemicals it creates should be avoided at all costs. I won't even cut it in my workshop (which is in my house) anymore. I'll take it outside if I have to cut it.

Bob

tshifrin

« Reply #194 on: 22 Dec 2011, 07:45 pm »
I appreciate the warning! I've been cutting and sanding in my garage, and I don't plan on much more, since it's obvious that my talents do not include woodworking. But I'll be extra careful now... I'm much better at auto stuff than carpentry, I rarely have to fabricate car parts.
Masks and lots of air flow it will be, and birch ply from now on...

Tom

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #195 on: 22 Dec 2011, 08:48 pm »
Well done on the birch ply. That's good stuff. I avoid MDF if at all possible, and won't buy it by choice. The good stuff is more, but the advantages FAR outweigh the costs.

A fellow car guy huh?  :wink:

Bob

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #196 on: 22 Dec 2011, 09:41 pm »

A fellow car guy huh?  :wink:

Bob

Ah, Crap!  Isn't ONE trouble enough?

:lol:

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #197 on: 22 Dec 2011, 09:56 pm »
We need some more Bob. It's hard keeping with your fleet.  :P :lol:

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #198 on: 22 Dec 2011, 10:02 pm »
Good point. 

Hey, there's another Roadmonster wagon for sale on ebay!  Just up in Columbia, MO.  White with wood grain, too!

What can I say?  Woodies give me a uh, never mind............ :oops:

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #199 on: 22 Dec 2011, 10:04 pm »
We've got some Saabs, both new and used, here at the dealership. I can pick a couple and set them aside for you. I think the sales departments are having a sale.

If you want, I can get some simulated wood grain contact paper and make them Woodies?

Bob