Welcome to GAS

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
Re: Welcome to GAS
« Reply #200 on: 22 Dec 2011, 10:43 pm »
My ex-wife wrecked more Saabs than I care to admit, so I think there is bad Ju-Ju in those cars.

She SWORE she never went off-roadin', but damn!, she could find a deer with a Saab on days when hunters came home empty-handed!   :duh:

LOVED my Saab 9000, but since I can't find any around here, I figure the RoadMonster is the nearest U.S. equivalent.  Both have GM blood in them, right?

Martybu141

« Reply #201 on: 4 Jan 2013, 06:54 pm »
I would be interested in joining GAS, my system is a little meager by comparison to the kit most of you guys have here but i REALLY enjoy listening to it.  I prefer vinyl because it allows me to tweak the system and hear the differences those small changes make.  I have an old Technics SL-QD33 that i purchased off ebay not working and took it apart to "deoxit" all the contacts then i packed it with modeling clay (a little trick i learned form another board).  I also made a cabinet lined with cork so my two daughters cant get their fingers on the stylus (after they did) and i bought a new ortophon 10. Since i had some extra cork left over i made a slipmat out of it and really liked what it did to the sound.  My phono pre is a Musical Fidelity VLPS II with the power supply.  my preamp is a little dot MKIV that i have upgraded the driver and power tubes on(Electro Harmonix and Voshkods - I think im hooked on tube rolling) i use that to drive either my Grado 225i headphones or a pair of monitors i have borrowed from a freind who works in the production business.  I can say 90% of the upgrades i have made were from lurking on boards like this to find out what other peoples thoughts were on various topics, but i didnt know this group existed until i stumbled across it.  When i found out there is a group of people that meet up to talk about the same thing (that my wife says im obsessed with) I couldnt be happier.  I wound up getting 3 of my other freinds into vinyl but I dont really have anyone to talk to about what a difference it would make to upgrade different pieces in the chain.

Blackmore

« Reply #202 on: 4 Jan 2013, 08:50 pm »
Welcome!  You've come to the right place to talk about and listen to vinyl.  Just keep a hold of your wallet; we have a way of making you spend money.  :lol:

We have lots of informal get togethers and about one or two big blowouts per year.  Keep watching the GAS forum and see what we've got cooked up. 

Speaking of blowouts, anybody want to hear stacked Advents in the front room?    :rock:   (they'll be driven by BATman)

Dr. T

« Reply #203 on: 2 Feb 2013, 07:58 pm »
Hello all,
My name is Theo and I'd love to join the group and perhaps listen to some different systems some time.  I am in Creve Coeur and have been gradually upgrading to a point where I am pretty happy with my system for a small office.  My source is an Ayon CD-5 (through which I often stream from my PC via a Musical Fidelity USB to coax converter).  For speakers I have a Levinson 23.5 driving Revel Ultima Gems.  Due to kids, I am on headphones quite a bit as well.  I have two setups, one is a Eddie Current Zana Deux running Sennheiser HD800's.  The other is a Schiit Mjolnir running HiFiMan HE-6's.  I also have pairs of Audeze LCD-2's and Senn HD650's which don't get a lot of play right now.
I listen to a pretty broad selection of music:  jazz, blues, rock, electronica, some classical - as long as it is well recorded I will probably enjoy it.
Hope to make introductions soon.

daves

« Reply #204 on: 3 Feb 2013, 06:11 pm »
Welcome, Theo. We will be having a gathering shortly, and I hope you can attend!

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #205 on: 3 Feb 2013, 06:34 pm »
Sounds like a nice system, and nice cans too Theo.  Good to have you here ... I know I'll be hosting a small gathering soon, others will too I'm sure. 

wit9000

« Reply #206 on: 27 Feb 2013, 02:45 pm »
Greetings All from Webster Groves...stumbled across this forum...would really like to join in as it reads like a great group of enthusiasts have found each other...not sure what the proper protocol is...so would appreciate a quick note on best way to get connected...thx! Lee

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #207 on: 28 Feb 2013, 01:35 am »
...not sure what the proper protocol is...so would appreciate a quick note on best way to get connected...thx! Lee
You just did it! Welcome to "GAS" Lee.
Come on in, sit right down, and enjoy the company.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #208 on: 28 Feb 2013, 01:42 am »
Hey Bob, tell Sturgus for me that he is missed.  I had hoped to crash youse guys meet last Fall but the trip didn't, couldn't, develop. 

jimdgoulding

« Reply #209 on: 28 Feb 2013, 02:29 am »
My ex-wife wrecked more Saabs than I care to admit, so I think there is bad Ju-Ju in those cars.

She SWORE she never went off-roadin', but damn!, she could find a deer with a Saab on days when hunters came home empty-handed!   :duh:

LOVED my Saab 9000, but since I can't find any around here, I figure the RoadMonster is the nearest U.S. equivalent.  Both have GM blood in them, right?
You funny, Brick.  I had an old Volvo coupe in the 70's, I suppose.  I say 70's cause it sure was ugly and it was a pretty foggy time.  Not one of the slick ones.  I could fix about everything there was to fix cause it was so simple and easy to access.  Bout as simple as the Morris Minor cou-pe that preceeded it.  All kinds of inexpensive choices in Calif in those days.  A lot of male yuppies drove Morgan Flyers in SF.  Not so inexpensive and had wooden frames.  There was even a dealership.  Anything to look cool, I supposed. 

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #210 on: 28 Feb 2013, 03:00 am »
Hey Bob, tell Sturgus for me that he is missed.
Ummm....  :scratch: Where did he go?

catastrofe

• "That's what credit cards are for. . ."
« Reply #211 on: 28 Feb 2013, 04:09 am »
Greetings All from Webster Groves...stumbled across this forum...would really like to join in as it reads like a great group of enthusiasts have found each other...not sure what the proper protocol is...so would appreciate a quick note on best way to get connected...thx! Lee

Welcome Lee.  I'm in Glendale, so we're practically neighbors.

Bob

wit9000

« Reply #212 on: 1 Mar 2013, 03:10 am »
I appreciate the welcome...I'll likely open up a new topic over the weekend to ask for the advice of this brain trust about what I'm calling my very own Mission Impossible.  In brief, when I once had a large open space I had a 5.1 setup using four Acoustat Model 3 for mains and surround along with a Martin Logan Theater for center channel...long story short...since we've been in Webster I no longer have that big space but haven't yet parted [anyone else got that problem?] with the speakers...so...looking for any strokes of brilliance in terms of acoustical treatment that might help me work a miracle and allow the Acoustats to sound good in a much smaller space...cause...well...the Acoustats have been with me longer than my wife...and they've always been so nice to me!  Details along with opportunities to opine when I open the topic.  Thanks in advance!

daves

« Reply #213 on: 2 Mar 2013, 02:43 am »
Welcome, Lee. Are these Accs the ones with the servo amps driving them?

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #214 on: 2 Mar 2013, 03:05 am »
"this brain trust?" :

GAS????     :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Welcome!   :thumb:

wit9000

« Reply #215 on: 2 Mar 2013, 04:21 am »
All - New Topic opened "Mission Impossible - a/k/a too many stats & too little space" ...so as soon as it displays in the forum feel free to have at it!

jimdgoulding

« Reply #216 on: 2 Mar 2013, 07:35 pm »
Ummm....  :scratch: Where did he go?
Haven't seen much posting from him.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #217 on: 3 Mar 2013, 01:26 am »
Oh, gotcha.
He's never been much of a "keyboard jockey". It's been a while since I've been to a GAS G2G, so I can't speak from first hand experience.
But last I saw, he was doing great.
Bob

Batsong

« Reply #218 on: 20 Mar 2013, 06:10 pm »
Hi GAS.  New to STL.  Moved from Oregon, was a member of the Triode Society out there.  If you have room for a young guy, with lot's to learn, who will (hopefully) keep his mouth shut, include me at your next gathering.  I'm into vinyl, 2a3's and unusual solutions to age old problems.  Setting up a very modest system in Maplewood, and excited to start building some speakers.

wedweb

« Reply #219 on: 21 Mar 2013, 01:34 am »
Welcome Batsong.  Where at in Oregon?  I lived north of North Bend.

Bo