What makes New York pizza New York pizza?

turkey

What makes New York pizza New York pizza?
« on: 11 Aug 2010, 07:42 pm »
I don't want to get involved in any pizza wars; I like all the different styles of pizza.

I was just wondering what it is that makes New York pizza different.

The stuff that I've had there came in huge slices, and had a very chewy thin crust. Is there more to it than that? Is there actually a "New York" pizza or does it vary like pizza in Chicago varies?

Maybe if this thread gets some good responses we could do others for Chicago pizza or other areas of the country?

Wayner

Re: What makes New York pizza New York pizza?
« Reply #1 on: 11 Aug 2010, 08:15 pm »
Those NY pizza's are awesome! But so are the Chicago pizzas. I love them all. My friend who lived in NY built a wood fired pizza oven in his back yard. Every Friday night, the neighbors would get together and make pizza and have cocktails, or drink lots of beer. He say's it's the heat. I thought he once said he was cooking pizzas in about 7 minutes, thinking that the oven was at about 900 degrees. The wood coals were red hot in one corner, pizzas in the other corner. I also remember him saying that even on the 3rd piece, everyone was still burning their mouths, but didn't care.

Now I'm hungry.

Wayner  :D

low.pfile

« Reply #2 on: 11 Aug 2010, 08:17 pm »
I was raised/schooled in NY State but not very familiar with New York City pizza--though I've had it.  I have heard that it's the water that distiguishes NY pizza and bagels from other places. I also wonder if it is the relative humidity that affects the dough?

Bemopti123

« Reply #3 on: 11 Aug 2010, 08:21 pm »
I do not know if you are looking for ingredient or other physical variables or what are the characteristics that are part of "a New York slice"...if it has nothing to do with taste/physical attribute, there are two main characteristics, #1-large portion, #2-being CHEAP= a while back cheap meant $1/slice.  It is a no frills pizza, large, thin, flabby, somewhat greasy, basic ingredients that are to be expected from its cost....saucy, thin layer of melted cheese. 

SET Man

« Reply #4 on: 11 Aug 2010, 08:34 pm »
Hey!

NYC is where pizza in America got it start from Italian immigrants in the early 1900's. Actually the oldest is the Lombardi's. I think the second oldest one is John's pizza.

Anyway, I love NY pizza. I think it got to do with the crust... thin crust to be exact. With simple ingredients. And of course the brick wood/coal oven. :D And yes I think NYC water have something to do with that too.  Although not many pizzerias here are made like this.

Although I've never been to Chicago but I can't see myself eating the think pie with soft bread underneath of which sound like a thick pie to me. Maybe someday I will get a chance to try it and see. :D

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

turkey

« Reply #5 on: 11 Aug 2010, 08:42 pm »
I do not know if you are looking for ingredient or other physical variables or what are the

I'm looking for you guys to tell me. :)

I sort of have an idea of what it is from having pizza while visiting friends and relatives there, but I'm interested to see what other people think.

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 11 Aug 2010, 08:46 pm »
Did anyone catch the episode of "Food Detectives" on the Food Network where they made three, nearly, identical pizzas with where the water came from being the only difference?  The locations were California, Chicago, and NYC.  Every taste tester, including the host, preferred the pizza made with NYC water.

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2009/04/dear-slice-food-detectives-to-investigate-claim-that-its-the-water-that-makes-nyc-pizza-so-good.html

turkey

« Reply #7 on: 11 Aug 2010, 08:47 pm »
   Although I've never been to Chicago but I can't see myself eating the think pie with soft bread underneath of which sound like a thick pie to me. Maybe someday I will get a chance to try it and see. :D

I've had what I consider to be 2 different types of Chicago pizza. One was the deep dish from Pizza Uno and Gino's East, then there was a thin crust pizza done with a party cut (round pie, square cuts). Someone was once telling me there are other varieties popular in various areas too.

I've had good pizza in lots of places, and Chicago was certainly one of them.

rblnr

« Reply #8 on: 11 Aug 2010, 09:02 pm »
I like Chicago style pizza better, but the NYC Catskill water makes a huge difference.  I know some bagel and pizza places in NJ that bring in NY water to make their dough.

low.pfile

« Reply #9 on: 11 Aug 2010, 09:20 pm »
....the episode of "Food Detectives" on the Food Network .
http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2009/04/dear-slice-food-detectives-to-investigate-claim-that-its-the-water-that-makes-nyc-pizza-so-good.html

Thanks for that link!--video of the show is included. I hadn't seen that before. Water is a critical element in NY pizza.

doorman

« Reply #10 on: 11 Aug 2010, 09:43 pm »
I was raised/schooled in NY State but not very familiar with New York City pizza--though I've had it.  I have heard that it's the water that distiguishes NY pizza and bagels from other places. I also wonder if it is the relative humidity that affects the dough?
So bad water makes good pizza!!??
(tongue firmly in cheek!)
Don

low.pfile

« Reply #11 on: 11 Aug 2010, 09:54 pm »
Well instead of filling up some bottles with tap water when visiting family, I can just have some bottled NY tap water shipped http://tapdny.com/products/ for my next pizza party! ;)

yep, doorman, hot and sticky weather makes pizza even bettuh. Oh, you said "bad water"

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #12 on: 11 Aug 2010, 10:04 pm »
From wikipedia:

New York-style pizza originated in New York City in the early 1900s; it is wide, thin and foldable. The traditional toppings were limited to tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese, with any additional toppings placed with the cheese. It is traditionally hand-tossed and light on sauce. The slices are often eaten as a 'street snack' while folded in half, as its size and flexibility sometimes makes it unwieldy to eat flat. 

The most notable difference between New York style and other American pizzas is its thin hand-tossed crust, made from a high-gluten bread flour. The flavor of the crust has sometimes been attributed to the minerals present in the New York City tap water used to make the dough. Some out-of-state pizza makers even transport the water cross-country for the sake of authenticity.

BTW, the first pizzeria in the US was opened in 1905 by Gennaro Lombardi, at Lombardi's in Little Italy, Manhattan

While I do like Chicago style pizza, I'll always love and prefer NY style pizza over it.

Too bad nobody up in Boston knows how to make good NY style pizza.   :cry:

George

flintstone

« Reply #13 on: 11 Aug 2010, 10:41 pm »
I'm not much for thin crust pizza, but I've never tried a NY pizza so who knows? I do love Chicago style deep dish.

Doublej

« Reply #14 on: 11 Aug 2010, 11:27 pm »
Did anyone catch the episode of "Food Detectives" on the Food Network where they made three, nearly, identical pizzas with where the water came from being the only difference?  The locations were California, Chicago, and NYC.  Every taste tester, including the host, preferred the pizza made with NYC water.

You learn something new every day. All along I thought the taste was due to the unwashed hands and hairy forearms that spun the dough.

some young guy

« Reply #15 on: 12 Aug 2010, 02:17 am »
You learn something new every day. All along I thought the taste was due to the unwashed hands and hairy forearms that spun the dough.
I used to cook at a restaurant in Emeryville, CA (next to Berkely) that among other things, made pizza. The owners had a constant supply of water flown in from Syracuse NY every week.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #16 on: 12 Aug 2010, 02:51 am »
My brother lived in So Cal for a few years.  The first time I went to visit, I suggested pizza one night for a quick and cheap dinner.  He laughed.  We went to a place for a slice (he got a sub), and I knew why he laughed.  Worst pizza I've ever had.

There was an Italian New Yorker who opened up a pizza shop a few miles away from his apartment.  The guy used his old recipie, tried bottled water, and then imported NYC tap water.  It made a difference, but wasn't the cure.

I guess there's more to it than just the water.

Think NYC tap water is bad?  Try So Cal tap water.  Its un-drinkable IMO.  His water had this thick white sediment in it. 

Stu Pitt

« Reply #17 on: 12 Aug 2010, 03:06 am »
I will give So Cal credit though...

They've got the best fast food by far.  Fatburger, In-N-Out Burger, Del Taco, and on and on.  In the Northeast, we're pretty much limited to Mickey D's, Wendy's, and Burger King.

The Double Double Animal-style from In-N-Out is about as good as it gets in a fast food joint.  Combine that with the fresh cut potato fries.

Fatburger's Fatburger with fried egg and fat fries ain't that far behind.

We had a Fatburger in a mall near my old home, but it closed.  I guess a few bucks more than Mickey D's was just too much.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #18 on: 12 Aug 2010, 04:22 am »
Hey!

NYC is where pizza in America got it start from Italian immigrants in the early 1900's. Actually the oldest is the Lombardi's. I think the second oldest one is John's pizza.

Anyway, I love NY pizza. I think it got to do with the crust... thin crust to be exact. With simple ingredients. And of course the brick wood/coal oven. :D And yes I think NYC water have something to do with that too.  Although not many pizzerias here are made like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRhJYjSc5Xg&feature=related

When a fork and knife appear....you can tell their tourists.... :lol:

Another.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ale_qnCJlc

mjosef

« Reply #19 on: 12 Aug 2010, 04:34 am »
Its the labeling...call it anything NY and the mind kicks in, and imagines all sorts of things.  :lol:

Oh yeah, and I had a slice today...and it was good. I have tasted better, but was lazy to walk a few extra blocks.