What makes New York pizza New York pizza?

boead

Re: What makes New York pizza New York pizza?
« Reply #20 on: 12 Aug 2010, 04:45 am »
I have yet to find great pizza outside NY. NYC water supply comes from the Catskills mostly.
And the same for Bagels! Ever have a Staten Island Bagel?  :drool:
Or a Brooklyn Lager? Or a Pennant Ale?
http://www.brooklynbrewery.com/beer/

Len_Dreyer

« Reply #21 on: 12 Aug 2010, 04:47 am »
Its the labeling...call it anything NY and the mind kicks in, and imagines all sorts of things.  :lol:

Bingo, and expanding the concept, where would a person go for SF Sourdough or Philly cheese steaks, etc? They are powerful images.

boead

« Reply #22 on: 12 Aug 2010, 04:52 am »
Bingo, and expanding the concept, where would a person go for SF Sourdough or Philly cheese steaks, etc? They are powerful images.

Its the water. Thin or thick crust.

Len_Dreyer

« Reply #23 on: 12 Aug 2010, 04:57 am »
Its the water. Thin or thick crust.

For sourdough, the yeast mutates outside the area & the resultant bread doesn't taste the same, so something in the locale is important.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?

drphoto

« Reply #25 on: 12 Aug 2010, 05:17 am »
attitude!

ctviggen

« Reply #26 on: 12 Aug 2010, 10:51 am »
I have yet to find great pizza outside NY. NYC water supply comes from the Catskills mostly.
And the same for Bagels! Ever have a Staten Island Bagel?  :drool:
Or a Brooklyn Lager? Or a Pennant Ale?
http://www.brooklynbrewery.com/beer/

Personally, I think the best pizza I've ever had comes from New Haven, CT (and from several different restaurants).  However, I do like NY style pizza. 

Those are good beers, although I'd rate anything from this brewery just as highly if not higher:

http://www.anchorbrewing.com/

And, they make fantastic liquors, too:

http://www.anchorbrewing.com/about_us/anchordistilling.htm

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
« Reply #27 on: 12 Aug 2010, 10:57 am »
I had a pizza that was made upside down. Cheese then toppings & tomato sauce. Could that be Chicago style? I forgot, but it was good! I'd like to try a pizza made this way with a thin crust.

lord dubious

« Reply #28 on: 12 Aug 2010, 11:40 am »
Hi All
I sense that this thread is concentrating around the idea that New York Pizza is the pizza by which all others should be judged.  Perhaps I am paranoid and at the risk of offending some folk, I would like to point out that Italians migrated to all parts of the world and that great pizza is available everywhere.  Honestly, pizza is now something better than the Italians could have imagined since it is now a food that belongs to everyone.  It is truly an international food.
Just a thought.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #29 on: 12 Aug 2010, 11:45 am »
"What makes New York pizza New York pizza?"

The rat poop in the sauce?   :dunno:

ctviggen

« Reply #30 on: 12 Aug 2010, 11:51 am »
Hi All
I sense that this thread is concentrating around the idea that New York Pizza is the pizza by which all others should be judged.  Perhaps I am paranoid and at the risk of offending some folk, I would like to point out that Italians migrated to all parts of the world and that great pizza is available everywhere.  Honestly, pizza is now something better than the Italians could have imagined since it is now a food that belongs to everyone.  It is truly an international food.
Just a thought.

I think NY style pizza is just one type of pizza.  To me, it's a thin, not-too-crispy crust (a difference with CT pizza, which has a crispy, burnt crust) with minimal toppings and good sauce, and tends to be somewhat greasy.

Pizza in Italy is more along the lines of CT pizza, but with less cheese and toppings.

I prefer better toppings and more cheese.  New Haven pizza is good because everything is good:  the crust, the cheese, the sauce, the toppings.  At Pepe's they don't serve clam pizza if the one and only clam shucker isn't there that day.  We usually just get bacon pizza, one single topping for a fantastic pizza.  The sauce is killer.

Levi

« Reply #31 on: 12 Aug 2010, 01:39 pm »
They said it was the water. :)

turkey

« Reply #32 on: 12 Aug 2010, 02:15 pm »
Hi All
I sense that this thread is concentrating around the idea that New York Pizza is the pizza by which all others should be judged. 

I didn't intend that.

First of all, I wanted to know what people think of when they think of New York pizza. I also wanted to know if all pizza in the NYC area was the same style, or if there are neighborhood variations, etc.

I really wanted to keep discussions of pizza from other regions (US and world) out of this thread as much as possible to keep it from devolving into a "my pizza is better than yours" type of thing.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #33 on: 12 Aug 2010, 02:17 pm »
I didn't intend that.

First of all, I wanted to know what people think of when they think of New York pizza. I also wanted to know if all pizza in the NYC area was the same style, or if there are neighborhood variations, etc.

I really wanted to keep discussions of pizza from other regions (US and world) out of this thread as much as possible to keep it from devolving into a "my pizza is better than yours" type of thing.

But NY style pizza is the best.   :wink:

George

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #34 on: 12 Aug 2010, 02:24 pm »
But NY style pizza is the best.   :wink:

George

You are wrong.  Goldmund/Swiss pizza is the best. :green: :green:

On it, even the grease is of the highest purity.

joschmo

« Reply #35 on: 12 Aug 2010, 02:30 pm »
Personally, I think the best pizza I've ever had comes from New Haven, CT (and from several different restaurants).  However, I do like NY style pizza. 

Those are good beers, although I'd rate anything from this brewery just as highly if not higher:

http://www.anchorbrewing.com/

And, they make fantastic liquors, too:

http://www.anchorbrewing.com/about_us/anchordistilling.htm

Pepe's is fantastic, I have not had Modern Apizza (heard this is the best from a New Havenite) or Sallys yet.  Good call on the anchor as well.

srb

« Reply #36 on: 12 Aug 2010, 02:43 pm »
You are wrong.  Goldmund/Swiss pizza is the best. :green: :green:

Nonsense!  You need to study basic culinary principles.  I know 1,000 times more about engineering good pizza than you do.

Steve

BobRex

« Reply #37 on: 12 Aug 2010, 02:51 pm »
So when can we see Steve's Ultimate Pizza with custom cheese strings that are exactly what Goldmund the Swiss put on their pizzas? :thumb:

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #38 on: 12 Aug 2010, 03:27 pm »
So when can we see Steve's Ultimate Pizza with custom cheese strings that are exactly what Goldmund the Swiss put on their pizzas? :thumb:

Steve is just a knockoff artist.  He doesn't know Swiss from Mozzarella.  :lol:

Goldmund/Swiss uses only the highest quality (and uber-expensive) mil spec ingredients that are rare and yet readily accessible, if you know what I mean.   :eyebrows: :P

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #39 on: 12 Aug 2010, 03:40 pm »
 Great Pizza is in the ingreients period. most places do not use the best flour for starters. Secondly they do not use wine to get the yeast going. Third they use Crisco instead of olive oil in the dough.
  The sauce should be uncooked strained plum tomatos with NO oregano, garlic powder nuttin but S&P and some basil.
   Cooking the pie is very important. The temp needs to be over 550d [ coal or wood burning over 1000D is best ] which many parlors do not due because of gas costs or building a brick oven.
   When cooked right out of the oven a sprinkle of oregano, grated peccorrino cheese and a splash of EVOO. Done.
   Now the water thing is IMO BS it is the proper ingredients. The wine really gets the yeast going and makes a huge difference as well as quality bakery flour.

charles