What makes New York pizza New York pizza?

turkey

Re: What makes New York pizza New York pizza?
« Reply #40 on: 12 Aug 2010, 03:44 pm »
Steve is just a knockoff artist.  He doesn't know Swiss from Mozzarella.  :lol:

Goldmund/Swiss uses only the highest quality (and uber-expensive) mil spec ingredients that are rare and yet readily accessible, if you know what I mean.   :eyebrows: :P

I am going to offer for sale some rare Swiss mil-spec tomato paste that is the same as that used in a $5K pizza that's the best in the world.

The line starts here.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #41 on: 12 Aug 2010, 04:28 pm »
I am going to offer for sale some rare Swiss mil-spec tomato paste that is the same as that used in a $5K pizza that's the best in the world.

The line starts here.

Tour ? Whens the tour ?

charles

turkey

« Reply #42 on: 12 Aug 2010, 04:33 pm »
  Tour ? Whens the tour ?

charles

I think for that I will need to look into cryogenic treatment and insulated shipping materials.

However, I guarantee this will be the best tomato paste you've ever heard!

srb

« Reply #43 on: 12 Aug 2010, 04:43 pm »
Somewhere along the line, the term "mil-spec" got automatically (but often erroneously) associated with the "best".

Mil-spec foods are things like "government cheese" and MRE's.  Just because the military specs something, doesn't automatically mean they are always great or even good specifications.

Back to pizza -

While I agree that good tomatoes, good flour and good olive oil all contribute to good pizza, the one ingredient that makes NYC the home to a large number of good pizzerias, is ...... good Italian pizza chefs.

Steve

BobM

« Reply #44 on: 12 Aug 2010, 05:37 pm »
All this pizza talk has made me hungry, so I just went out and picked up a slice. With mushrooms. A little red pepper on top and ... yummmmmm.

Oh yeah, and some good (filtered) NY water to wash it all down.

Ronm1

• "A Bug!! Naa...thats a feature!
« Reply #45 on: 12 Aug 2010, 06:09 pm »

Mil-spec foods are things like "government cheese" and MRE's.  Just because the military specs something, doesn't automatically mean they are always great or even good specifications.

Steve

Just means cheese packed during the Korean War is still ok for mil-spec rated pizza.  I wonder what the mil-spec pepperoni is like.

boead

Construct

« Reply #47 on: 12 Aug 2010, 06:28 pm »
Da best friggin pie...  (Sopranos)

Bemopti123

« Reply #48 on: 12 Aug 2010, 06:43 pm »
Just means cheese packed during the Korean War is still ok for mil-spec rated pizza.  I wonder what the mil-spec pepperoni is like.

NOS pizza...circa 1921...the Golden Age of Hollywood era.

srb

« Reply #49 on: 12 Aug 2010, 06:56 pm »
All this pizza talk has made me hungry, so I just went out and picked up a slice. With mushrooms. A little red pepper on top and ... yummmmmm.

Oh yeah, and some good (filtered) NY water to wash it all down.

I usually delete photos when quoting, but that is a good lookin' slice.  Perfectly cooked with thinly sliced mushrooms.  Now I'm hungry, too.

Steve

turkey

« Reply #50 on: 12 Aug 2010, 07:11 pm »
Da best friggin pie...  (Sopranos)

Yeah, but what did they know? They were from Jersey. :)

launche

• ...on being an audiophile...no.
« Reply #51 on: 12 Aug 2010, 08:53 pm »
Over the years I've really come to prefer a thin crispy crust as the basis for my most enjoyable pizza.  Few can do that the way I like it so now I've migrated more to the new gourmet pizza styles and if done right those are what I prefer.  A place called Anna's in N.C. makes some good gourmet pizza's to a point where that's my main place.  Anna's loads the pizza up nice and the ingredients are good, I've rarely seen my wife want to tear into something so bad she couldn't wait until we got home.  I tried a few of the local NY Pizza wannabe shops and they aren't even close to being as good with their soggy, salty pizza.

turkey

« Reply #52 on: 13 Aug 2010, 12:59 pm »
Over the years I've really come to prefer a thin crispy crust as the basis for my most enjoyable

Do you mean the crust at the perimeter is crispy, or the whole crust?

I've had some thin crust pizza that was like those toasted pita chips and didn't really like it that much. (The toasted pita chips are excellent though; I just don't like my pizza to be as crispy/crunchy as that.)

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
« Reply #53 on: 13 Aug 2010, 01:01 pm »
I noticed the mushrooms are fresh and not canned.  :D

Anybody for canned yellow mushrooms?  :cry:

turkey

« Reply #54 on: 13 Aug 2010, 01:03 pm »
I kind of like it when a pizza place puts some cornmeal on the bottom of the crust to keep it from sticking to the oven. I think it adds a bit of texture to the  crust, and you can sometimes taste it too - it's a nice toasted corn taste like on English muffins. However, one of my friends hates that and says it's like they dipped the pizza in sand.

Does anyone else even care about this? :)

turkey

« Reply #55 on: 13 Aug 2010, 01:08 pm »
I noticed the mushrooms are fresh and not canned.  :D

Anybody for canned yellow mushrooms?  :cry:

I prefer fresh mushrooms.

There's a local place that does a "Philly cheese steak" pizza with sauteed mushrooms and onions that's really good.

rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #56 on: 13 Aug 2010, 01:34 pm »
I kind of like it when a pizza place puts some cornmeal on the bottom of the crust to keep it from sticking to the oven. I think it adds a bit of texture to the  crust, and you can sometimes taste it too - it's a nice toasted corn taste like on English muffins. However, one of my friends hates that and says it's like they dipped the pizza in sand.

Does anyone else even care about this? :)

Actually I believe it is Semolina not cornmeal. At least that is what it should be. Yes it adds a great texture.

charles

rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #57 on: 13 Aug 2010, 01:36 pm »

I usually delete photos when quoting, but that is a good lookin' slice.  Perfectly cooked with thinly sliced mushrooms.  Now I'm hungry, too.

Steve

Looking great Steve. Fresh mushrooms and a nice balance of cheese and sauce. Crispy crust I'm hungry now thanks.

charles

srb

« Reply #58 on: 13 Aug 2010, 02:00 pm »
Looking great Steve. Fresh mushrooms and a nice balance of cheese and sauce. Crispy crust I'm hungry now thanks.

That's actually BobM's slice, but now we all want one too.

Over the years I've really come to prefer a thin crispy crust as the basis for my most enjoyable pizza.

It's got to be at least crispy enough that the slice supports itself and doesn't need to be folded because it's too limp.

Steve

launche

• ...on being an audiophile...no.
« Reply #59 on: 13 Aug 2010, 02:00 pm »

I've had some thin crust pizza that was like those toasted pita chips and didn't really like it that much. (The toasted pita chips are excellent though; I just don't like my pizza to be as crispy/crunchy as that.)

I don't know about the pita chips but I like a crust a bit on the crispy/firm side.  Enough to adequately support the weight of a reasonable slice.  The entire crust to be crispy and offer a subtle crunch and texture when bitten to offset the gooey and soft cheese and other toppings.  Many of the thin soggy crust pizza's I've had are too spongy, oily and salty.  Sometimes when chewed create this elastic bubble gum like wad in the mouth that I don't prefer. Usually these days if I see a New York Style Pizza place anywhere other than New York I keep driving, I've rather go to Pizza hut.  I haven't had a New York slice in 20 plus years but if it tastes like these copy cat places then I'm no fan.