What makes New York pizza New York pizza?

ctviggen

Re: What makes New York pizza New York pizza?
« Reply #60 on: 13 Aug 2010, 02:03 pm »
I don't know about the pita chips but I like a crust a bit on the crispy/firm side.  Enough to adequately support the weight of a reasonable slice.  The entire crust to be crispy and offer a subtle crunch and texture when bitten to offset the gooey and soft cheese and other toppings.  Many of the thin soggy crust pizza's I've had are too spongy, oily and salty.  Sometimes when chewed create this elastic bubble gum like wad in the mouth that I don't prefer. Usually these days if I see a New York Style Pizza place anywhere other than New York I keep driving, I've rather go to Pizza hut.  I haven't had a New York slice in 20 plus years but if it tastes like these copy cat places then I'm no fan.

Good CT pizza is as you've described (relatively crunchy crust throughout), and I also prefer this type of crust.  You have to have very high heat for this, though, so these crusts are all made in brick ovens. 

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #61 on: 13 Aug 2010, 02:10 pm »
I don't think I am a NY style pizza fan.  I like the crust you talk about but I like lots of toppings including anchovies.  I also like California style from Zpizza.  I believe they are now in NYC.  Good stuff. :thumb:

Ronm1

• "A Bug!! Naa...thats a feature!
« Reply #62 on: 13 Aug 2010, 02:27 pm »
New York City pizza not bad, still doesn't compare to Regina's in the North End, though I expect some may call them somewhat similar.  Sadly my fav sold out many years ago without giving up his recipe, one touch that gave his a distinctive nutty aroma and flavor was a generous amount of shredded parm over the top.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #63 on: 13 Aug 2010, 03:09 pm »
I don't think I am a NY style pizza fan.  I like the crust you talk about but I like lots of toppings including anchovies.  I also like California style from Zpizza.  I believe they are now in NYC.  Good stuff. :thumb:

woodsyi/Rim - If you haven't already you MUST try Pizza Paradiso (now three locations in/around DC).  I am impatient I don't wait for much...but I'd wait 30 minutes for a seat here at their original restaurant in Dupont: http://www.eatyourpizza.com/menu/pizze/

It's as good as any of the best pizzas I've ever had in Italy...and very different taste than NY pizza, but sensational.  I grew up in NY, but the best pizza I have tasted outside of Italy is Pizza Paradiso 8)

Thinking about NY pizza and the comment about the water...I don't think that's it.  I've had excellent pizza within 40 miles every which way of Manhattan.  Each county has a different water system and treatment of the water - most taste reliably good.  I think it's the suppliers of ingredients and even the ovens...along with heated competition and good recipes that travel as chefs leave one place and open another.

Anyhow, I don't eat much pizza today (I'm lactose intolerant and I keep wheat to a minimum as it is a cause of inflammation to the joints, however subtle, I want to keep that to a minimum as I age).  But, I've always eaten like a man 2x my weight...so I've eaten enough pizzas already for most others full lifetimes :wink:

John
« Last Edit: 13 Aug 2010, 04:13 pm by TheChairGuy »

ctviggen

« Reply #64 on: 13 Aug 2010, 03:20 pm »
I also try to avoid pizza, sadly.  Wheat and carbohydrates are bad for me.  Thus, when I do have the (very) infrequent pizza, I make sure it's as good as I can get (and I get a "small", the size of which varies considerably from place to place). 

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #65 on: 13 Aug 2010, 04:13 pm »
woodsyi/Rim - If you haven't already you MUST try Pizza Paradiso (now three locations in/around DC).  I am impatient I don't wait for much...but I'd wait 30 minutes for a seat here at thrir original restaurant in Dupont: http://www.eatyourpizza.com/menu/pizze/

It's as good as any of the best pizzas I've ever had in Italy...and very different taste than NY pizza, but sensational.  I grew up in NY, but the best pizza I have tasted outside of Italy is Pizza Paradiso 8)

Thinking about NY pizza and the comment about the water...I don't think that's it.  I've had excellent pizza within 40 miles every which way of Manhattan.  Each county has a different water system and treatment of the water - most taste reliably good.  I think it's the suppliers of ingredients and even the ovens...along with heated competition and good recipes that travel as chefs leave one place and open another.

Anyhow, I don't eat much pizza today (I'm lactose intolerant and I keep wheat to a minimum as it is a cause of inflammation to the joints, however subtle, I want to keep that to a minimum as I age).  But, I've always eaten like a man 2x my weight...so I've eaten enough pizzas already for most others full lifetimes :wink:

John

That looks good.  I will wait for the Old Town one to open to try.   :thumb:

TheChairGuy

« Reply #66 on: 14 Aug 2010, 02:19 am »
That looks good.  I will wait for the Old Town one to open to try.   :thumb:

May you have the urge to croon like Pavarotti when you do :hyper:

:wink: John