Wyred For Sound DAC 2

face

Re: Wyred For Sound DAC 2
« Reply #160 on: 14 Sep 2010, 11:33 pm »
Someone would have to put a gun to my head before I play Barry White on my rig, so I guess I have nothing to worry about.  :D 

Bhobba, you're dead on with the bass being wooly in the Havana compared to the DAC-1 or 2. 

As for DAC-1 vs DAC-2, I have one of each in different rigs.  Features aside, they sound almost identical, I'd have a hard time differentiating the two if they were both fed 16/44.1.

Eric5676

• Blu Ray Oasis
« Reply #161 on: 14 Sep 2010, 11:46 pm »
Someone would have to put a gun to my head before I play Barry White on my rig, so I guess I have nothing to worry about.  :D 

Bhobba, you're dead on with the bass being wooly in the Havana compared to the DAC-1 or 2. 

As for DAC-1 vs DAC-2, I have one of each in different rigs.  Features aside, they sound almost identical, I'd have a hard time differentiating the two if they were both fed 16/44.1.

If someone's choosing between the 1 and the 2, what should be the factors they consider? Somehow I see myself getting a 2 no matter what if I go with these guys but it'd be interesting to see your take on it since you've used both. :)

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #162 on: 14 Sep 2010, 11:55 pm »
If someone's choosing between the 1 and the 2, what should be the factors they consider? Somehow I see myself getting a 2 no matter what if I go with these guys but it'd be interesting to see your take on it since you've used both. :)

Mostly the higher resolution capability (greater than 24/96) and the remote control capability (use it as a remote preamp).  Mark (golfhugh) didn't need either so EJ downsold him (nice  :)  ).  The addtl AES inputs (nice) and I2S (few real options) are also nice, but likely not deal makers. 

face

« Reply #163 on: 15 Sep 2010, 12:05 am »
FYI, the DAC-1 can accept 24/192 via coax too.

IMO, the DAC-2 is a better unit due to also being a preamp, having HT Bypass, remote turn on, high res via USB, and the I2S connection.  If I were to do it over again, I'd own two DAC-2's instead of one of each model.

For those who spin vinyl on occasion, you can install a passive pre between your phono preamp and the DAC-2's HT Bypass input, it sounds fine here.

bhobba

« Reply #164 on: 15 Sep 2010, 12:16 am »

You need your ears cleaned out if you couldn't hear it. The guy who bought it along noticed it to some extent in his rig but when we put in the reference rig it was clear as a bell; as well as the WFS being clearly better in just about all areas.

Thanks
Bill

bhobba

« Reply #165 on: 15 Sep 2010, 12:34 am »

Fair enough.  But sometimes really great stuff can come from the most unexpected sources.  Listen to Tom Jones Praise and Blame.  Unbelievable.  Interestingly this is one those recordings where the upper midrange issue is absent - probably because Tom Jones voice on that recording is so low and husky.

Thanks
Bill

ebag4

« Reply #166 on: 15 Sep 2010, 02:09 am »
You need your ears cleaned out if you couldn't hear it. The guy who bought it along noticed it to some extent in his rig but when we put in the reference rig it was clear as a bell; as well as the WFS being clearly better in just about all areas.

Thanks
Bill
You guys really seem to enjoy comparing the Havana to the DAC2, just keep in mind the Havana is $600+ less than the DAC2.  I personally think the Havana is a very nice DAC, with bypass caps it sounds even better.  I wouldn't typically expect a $900 DAC to outperform a $1500 DAC but I will mention that I have no sibilance issues with the Havana. 

The DAC I want to listen to is the Tranquility and I look forward to your report on the Tranquility and how it compares to the DAC2 Bill.

Best,
Ed

bhobba

« Reply #167 on: 15 Sep 2010, 02:43 am »
The DAC I want to listen to is the Tranquility and I look forward to your report on the Tranquility and how it compares to the DAC2

The Tranquility is better even being fed from a non optimized Windows machine.  It is comparable to the reference DAC in the reference system we used.  For exactly how close it gets I will be posting that on the Tranquility DAC thread as it really is outside the scope of this thread:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=74816.440

Got a stinking cold right now so probably wont be able to do that for a while.  Even the thought of listening to Hi Fi right now makes my head throb even more.

Thanks
Bill

Eric5676

• Blu Ray Oasis
« Reply #168 on: 16 Sep 2010, 06:54 pm »
Just placed an order for a DAC-2. It's been tough deliberating between this and the Zodiac units but I think it would be prudent for my wallet to start here and see where it takes me. The value proposition here is nuts and I just can't ignore it.

Somehow I doubt I'm going to be disappointed. :)

writeface

« Reply #169 on: 17 Sep 2010, 07:20 pm »
DAC-2 is a sound choice:)

Eric5676

• Blu Ray Oasis
« Reply #170 on: 18 Sep 2010, 05:37 pm »
DAC-2 is a sound choice:)

Awesome first impressions so far. I really couldn't be more blown away.

EDIT: http://www.head-case.org/forums/home-source-components/7493-wyred-4-sound-ess-sabre-dac-6.html#post390118

Begin at this post and work your way forward for some rather lengthy early impressions and pictures by me. I hope that's not considered bad form for me to link to another forum but when you see all of that I think you'll understand my laziness if nothing else. :) 
« Last Edit: 18 Sep 2010, 07:43 pm by Eric5676 »

bhobba

« Reply #171 on: 18 Sep 2010, 10:55 pm »
Awesome first impressions so far. I really couldn't be more blown away.

Glad you like it.  As I said before it is close to the best out there at any price, and at the recent DAC shootout one person thought it was the best even though it was the cheapest there.  Personal preferences and system synergy play such a crucial role you do roll the dice a bit taking this type of plunge.  I ended up preferring the Tranquility but without hesitation I would recommend this DAC to be on your short list to listen.

Thanks
Bill

Eric5676

• Blu Ray Oasis
« Reply #172 on: 18 Sep 2010, 11:06 pm »
Glad you like it.  As I said before it is close to the best out there at any price,

I think it is.

It's a cliche and I try not to use it too often but I'm betting this thing is a giant killer outright or awfully close to it.

...and at the recent DAC shootout one person thought it was the best even though it was the cheapest there.

Honestly doesn't surprise me. I think it's an exceptional machine.

Personal preferences and system synergy play such a crucial role you do roll the dice a bit taking this type of plunge.  I ended up preferring the Tranquility but without hesitation I would recommend this DAC to be on your short list to listen.

Thanks
Bill

I've it running nonstop all day in some form or another. Some "burn in" and some of me using it and I just think it's an exceptional machine. Not a lot of heat, either, even after all of that use.

I'm hardly any expert but I really think I'd have to spend a LOT of money to find something that's appreciably better than what this is.

Personally, I think it's a blind steal outright at its asking price.

If all I'd needed was USB, I would have certainly looked into that Tranquility DAC as well.

I think in the end I think we're talking about two BIG time winners  here depending on needs and budgets. :)

I love this machine. I really do wish Wyred all the success in the world.

The customer service was excellent as well. It's a good sign when you place a call during business hours and someone with a pulse answers inside of 4 rings.

What was really a sweet bonus was yesterday, the nice lady from there called me and told me they had a buyer drop out and a new black DAC-2 was all set and ready to go and would I like it? Sure!

And yes, I splurged to get it today on Saturday and guess what? I don't regret it for a second. :)

I love this machine. :)

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #173 on: 18 Sep 2010, 11:14 pm »
Glad you like it.  As I said before it is close to the best out there at any price, and at the recent DAC shootout one person thought it was the best even though it was the cheapest there.  Personal preferences and system synergy play such a crucial role you do roll the dice a bit taking this type of plunge.  I ended up preferring the Tranquility but without hesitation I would recommend this DAC to be on your short list to listen.

Thanks
Bill

I hope to have an opportunity to sample this Dac down the road cuz what you're saying is exactly how I felt when I demo'd the 3 $$$ EE Dac, I was blown away on what this Dac brings to the table in many different systems. Even tho for basically the same price, I chose the MHDT Havana Dac as it's NOS qualities were a better fit for my system, I came away highly impressed with the ESS chip in this tube Dac design. Still, I'd love to hear what Wired for Sound has done using the ESS chip in a SS design, if not in my own system then in someone elses. In fact, an ESS designed Dac shootout between EE & WFS would be something I'd drive 5-6 hours for.  8)

Cheers,
Robin

face

« Reply #174 on: 18 Sep 2010, 11:32 pm »
Next NYAR meet I can attend, I can bring either a DAC-1 or DAC-2 if Levi brings his DAC. 

bzr

« Reply #175 on: 8 Nov 2011, 07:17 am »
I for one would like to congratulate bhobba/bill for his time & effort in this thread, even though I don't agree with the audiophile/wanker comment I highly commend bill on his behavior from some of the rebuttals he received through his  communication, admittedly it was low key, 5 stars bill. :thumbs:

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #176 on: 8 Nov 2011, 10:57 am »
Next NYAR meet I can attend, I can bring either a DAC-1 or DAC-2 if Levi brings his DAC.

Levi seemed to have but disappeared from the face of the audio world :green:.  He's on the cycling thread a lot though.

bhobba

« Reply #177 on: 9 Nov 2011, 11:28 pm »
I for one would like to congratulate bhobba/bill for his time & effort in this thread, even though I don't agree with the audiophile/wanker comment I highly commend bill on his behavior from some of the rebuttals he received through his  communication, admittedly it was low key, 5 stars bill. :thumbs:

Thanks mate.

Just by way of update I believe I have gotten to the bottom of the issues with the WFS.  It needs to be fed with an Off-Ramp or something similar.  When fed that way all issues gone or just about gone depending on how good your hearing is - I cant hear the issues any more but a friend with very good hearing can - but just a trace.  Fed that way it is one of the best DAC's I know - only a handful of DAC's I have heard are able to best it that way and to some extent it is a personal preference.

Thanks
Bill

Freo-1

« Reply #178 on: 9 Nov 2011, 11:38 pm »
My buddy at work has one of these, and he really likes it.

We were discussing having a side by side comparison between this and my Eastern Electric Mini Max DAC plus.

Should be fun.   8)

fridays

« Reply #179 on: 2 Jan 2013, 03:11 am »
Freo-1
Did comp ever come about
Thanks