What is your latest acquisition?

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
Re: What is your latest acquisition?
« Reply #100 on: 16 Jul 2010, 09:27 pm »
Thanks guys, I'm very happy with the new amp. As soon as I post this, I'm going to go fire it up....

I would enjoy hearing your opinion about the B100  :D

Be well...

Napalm

« Reply #101 on: 17 Jul 2010, 04:46 am »

Now you guys have to tell me how to connect it to the BDA-1.

Nap.  :scratch:

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #102 on: 17 Jul 2010, 09:50 am »

...no optical out on the laptop?

al.

Napalm

« Reply #103 on: 17 Jul 2010, 02:01 pm »

...no optical out on the laptop?

al.

Nope.... just "Displayport"....   :?

Nap.

Napalm

« Reply #104 on: 17 Jul 2010, 02:04 pm »
^^^

BTW why doesn't any other manufacturer make them black anymore? Silver, beige, brown, pink, lime green, gold, name it you have it, but not black?

I like them BLACK like a BLACK 4B which means MATTE BLACK not glossy shiny something......

Nap.  :duh:

Construct

« Reply #105 on: 17 Jul 2010, 02:16 pm »
Then it's "Theydidn'tthinkofthat pad?"  :P

whanafi

« Reply #106 on: 17 Jul 2010, 06:05 pm »

Run Squeezebox Server on the TPad and get a Logitech Touch.  Connect the Logitech Touch digital output to the BDA-1. 

Or run Squeezbox Server on something else, and use the TPad running a web browser to control the Touch remotely. 

Just don't expect best results trying to run the TPad directly to the BDA-1 over USB.

whanafi

« Reply #107 on: 17 Jul 2010, 06:14 pm »
Seagate FreeAgent Go 640Gb portable and dock

The road warrior's best friend - 5 year warranty, very light, very reliable.

Napalm

« Reply #108 on: 17 Jul 2010, 07:08 pm »
Run Squeezebox Server on the TPad and get a Logitech Touch.  Connect the Logitech Touch digital output to the BDA-1. 

Or run Squeezbox Server on something else, and use the TPad running a web browser to control the Touch remotely. 

:idea: I can run Squeezbox Server on my Synology NAS where all the music is. :idea:

Nap.  :thankyou:

Napalm

« Reply #109 on: 17 Jul 2010, 07:34 pm »
Mhhh.... just checked the Synology thing.... I can download and  install "SqueezeCenter" and "Squeezebox Server".

Which one do I need?

Also is the DAC in the Touch any good? i.e. decent enough to be usable until I get my BDA-1?

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #110 on: 17 Jul 2010, 08:21 pm »
Nap--I'm pretty sure you need "Server" on your host computer-mine is a laptop with a 1TB external USB drive. Squeezecenter is the software piece that is the interface between the two if I'm not mistaken.
I don't know about the touch's DAC but I would think temporarily you'd be fine with it..I have a DUET and sometimes I listen via its DAC, sounds OK in a pinch.
Not sure if that helps.. :thumb:
I totally didn't read this thread before posting..sorry if I'm like way off...

whanafi

« Reply #111 on: 18 Jul 2010, 03:20 am »
Mhhh.... just checked the Synology thing.... I can download and  install "SqueezeCenter" and "Squeezebox Server".

Which one do I need?

Also is the DAC in the Touch any good? i.e. decent enough to be usable until I get my BDA-1?

You need Squeezebox Server, which is the latest name given by the marketing types at Logitech

I used to run it on my NAS, but the CPU in the NAS wasn't able to provide sufficient performance.  Went with a small form factor Shuttle PC, and just downloaded VORTEXBOX from http://vortexbox.org

It is rock solid and highly performant.  And free.  And you don't have to learn Linux.  And you manage it remotely through a browser so no need for monitor or keyboard or mouse.

The DAC in the Touch is very good - consensus is that is the best of all the Squeezeboxen to date. 

I have tried using a Cambridge DACMagic, taking the digital out, and it sounds worse.  The Transporter gives the BDA-1 a run for its money - in A/B listening, I am hard pressed to hear the difference.

betamax

« Reply #112 on: 18 Jul 2010, 06:08 am »
I would enjoy hearing your opinion about the B100  :D
Well, it's everything everyone says it is in the online reviews. Clean, clean sound. The noisefloor drops to nothing and the notes just float out of the darkness. Or leap out, depending on what you're listening to.

The bass is tight but really solid, with authority. It punches like a heavyweight.

Like everyone else I've upgraded various kit over the years, but this one's a keeper. I'll no doubt upgrade some of the other stuff I have, but not the B100. It's all the amp I need for the next 20 years.

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #113 on: 18 Jul 2010, 08:17 am »
Cool. But, you'll upgrade to a BP26 and 4BSST2, it's unavoidable...haha.

Napalm

« Reply #114 on: 18 Jul 2010, 02:31 pm »
You need Squeezebox Server, which is the latest name given by the marketing types at Logitech

I used to run it on my NAS, but the CPU in the NAS wasn't able to provide sufficient performance.  Went with a small form factor Shuttle PC, and just downloaded VORTEXBOX from http://vortexbox.org

It is rock solid and highly performant.  And free.  And you don't have to learn Linux.  And you manage it remotely through a browser so no need for monitor or keyboard or mouse.

The DAC in the Touch is very good - consensus is that is the best of all the Squeezeboxen to date. 

I have tried using a Cambridge DACMagic, taking the digital out, and it sounds worse.  The Transporter gives the BDA-1 a run for its money - in A/B listening, I am hard pressed to hear the difference.

Thanks! So I guess that the notebook is useless (other than as a remote).... I have the middle-range Synology (DS209) with a 1.2 GHz processor 256 MB memory I hope it is adequate... Linux is fine with me.... so I guess that all I need now is the Touch....

Nap.  :drool:

Construct

« Reply #115 on: 18 Jul 2010, 02:36 pm »
VMPS new larger subwoofer with megawoofer. Preliminary pic- this sub is actually on it's side.  The 15"  driver on the bottom is a passive radiator with mass loading for tuneability.  More pics when I finish a review.  (12/15/15  drivers)  Comes with 1000w class a/b rack amp.The slot loading base is not installed in this pic, and you can't see the oak cabinet.  Yeah, it's RFH.  "Really Frickin' Heavy" (or huge)

Ryanz

« Reply #116 on: 18 Jul 2010, 04:15 pm »
VMPS new larger subwoofer with megawoofer. Preliminary pic- this sub is actually on it's side.  The 15"  driver on the bottom is a passive radiator with mass loading for tuneability.  More pics when I finish a review.  (12/15/15  drivers)  Comes with 1000w class a/b rack amp.The slot loading base is not installed in this pic, and you can't see the oak cabinet.  Yeah, it's RFH.  "Really Frickin' Heavy" (or huge)

:o Very nice! So did you have to anchor your pictures to the wall?  :rock:

vegasdave

« Reply #117 on: 18 Jul 2010, 06:20 pm »
That thing is a beast!

betamax

« Reply #118 on: 19 Jul 2010, 06:21 am »
Cool. But, you'll upgrade to a BP26 and 4BSST2, it's unavoidable...haha.

Shhhh, my wife will hear you...

vegasdave

« Reply #119 on: 19 Jul 2010, 11:02 am »
 :D  :P