What is your latest acquisition?

john1970

Will be purchasing new speakers this fall...
« Reply #60 on: 21 Jun 2010, 12:40 am »
Well I have not made a purchase yet, but I am planning a new speaker purchase this fall in the $6K to $9K range.  My front end is a Bryston 4B SST, BP25, MPS2, and BDA-1.  I am looking for a floorstanding speaker to mate well with the front end.  Most likely I will end up purchasing a custom pair of floorstanding speakers using Seas Excel woofers and Accuton tweeters and midranges.

Other suggestions ??
Cheers,

John

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
Re: What is your latest acquisition?
« Reply #61 on: 21 Jun 2010, 04:11 am »
Well I have not made a purchase yet, but I am planning a new speaker purchase this fall in the $6K to $9K range.  My front end is a Bryston 4B SST, BP25, MPS2, and BDA-1.  I am looking for a floorstanding speaker to mate well with the front end.  Most likely I will end up purchasing a custom pair of floorstanding speakers using Seas Excel woofers and Accuton tweeters and midranges.

Other suggestions ??
Cheers,

John

Well, try Dynaudio, Tannoy, Klipsch, and Paradigm. That's what I'm trying out.

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #62 on: 21 Jun 2010, 05:12 am »
John,

aren't Accuton chassis made of ceramic? :scratch:

al.

srb

« Reply #63 on: 21 Jun 2010, 06:40 am »
aren't Accuton chassis made of ceramic?

The Accuton concave domes are made of the following materials:

Ceramic - for bass-midrange, midrange and tweeter drivers
Diamond - for midrange and tweeter drivers
Ceramic Sandwich - for larger bass drivers and passive radiators
Aluminum - for passive radiators

I believe the chassis (baskets) are cast from aluminum or an aluminum-magnesium alloy.

All of the speakers I have seen with Accuton midranges and tweeters have used the ceramic models.  I would doubt any of us could afford the diamond tweeters.  Madisound primarily sells the ceramic and sandwich drivers, but they do list one 3/4" diamond tweeter for $2900.

Steve

1oldguy

« Reply #64 on: 21 Jun 2010, 03:44 pm »
Question for those who would know.

If a preamp has a bass and treble  control but is configured to only be active in the signal path once it's out of the 12 o'clock position,would that not be the best of both worlds?Especially for recordings that are less than stiller?
But again if left in the 12 o'clock position it bypasses the bass or treble control altogether.
Are there compromises in designing  such a unit?

Also could someone go into (trim) decibel control?What are the uses for such a option? I saw it on a unit where minus 6DB,0 DB,plus 6 DB and 12 DB were the options.Would it give more power for low level listening?Is that it;s purpose?

No takers?

Napalm

« Reply #65 on: 21 Jun 2010, 03:55 pm »
If a preamp has a bass and treble  control but is configured to only be active in the signal path once it's out of the 12 o'clock position,would that not be the best of both worlds?Especially for recordings that are less than stiller?
But again if left in the 12 o'clock position it bypasses the bass or treble control altogether.
Are there compromises in designing  such a unit?

Such beast exists, although now officially discontinued, you can still find new old stock, it's called the Anthem TLP-1. It does something even more interesting - it applies a Fletcher-Munson curve dependent on volume position.

Nap.  :thumb:

P.S. OOPS. You mean out of 12 o'clock of the tone controls, not volume? Here's one that does exactly that:

http://www.yamaha.ca/av/stereocomp/AS2000.jsp

When you turn the tone controls out of 12 o'clock, you'll hear a relay clicking and only that control gets engaged. (so you can have e.g. bass engaged and treble out of the circuit).
« Last Edit: 21 Jun 2010, 05:46 pm by Napalm »

vegasdave

« Reply #66 on: 21 Jun 2010, 06:30 pm »
Does the Yamaha have a pre out?

Napalm

« Reply #67 on: 21 Jun 2010, 07:21 pm »
Does the Yamaha have a pre out?

The AS2000 does.

Nap.

vegasdave

« Reply #68 on: 21 Jun 2010, 07:59 pm »
The AS2000 does.

Nap.

Ok, thanks. I'm not replacing my BP6!

V

« Reply #69 on: 21 Jun 2010, 10:15 pm »
Purchased this year: Sennheiser HD800 and Benchmark DAC1.

1oldguy

« Reply #70 on: 22 Jun 2010, 01:30 am »
Such beast exists, although now officially discontinued, you can still find new old stock, it's called the Anthem TLP-1. It does something even more interesting - it applies a Fletcher-Munson curve dependent on volume position.

P.S. OOPS. You mean out of 12 o'clock of the tone controls, not volume? Here's one that does exactly that:

http://www.yamaha.ca/av/stereocomp/AS2000.jsp

When you turn the tone controls out of 12 o'clock, you'll hear a relay clicking and only that control gets engaged. (so you can have e.g. bass engaged and treble out of the circuit).

Could this really be the cats meow of implementing tone controls for music that may be less than stiller?What are the drawbacks of designing a unit such as this? 

werd

« Reply #71 on: 22 Jun 2010, 02:10 pm »
Could this really be the cats meow of implementing tone controls for music that may be less than stiller?What are the drawbacks of designing a unit such as this?

You should check that out. It doesnt look like its loaded with digital gating tht normally drags down Yamaha gear.

It might be what you are after, i dont think its that expensive either.

Napalm

« Reply #72 on: 22 Jun 2010, 02:29 pm »
Just got mine from e-bay. Wife was less than impressed  :oops:

You can test-drive one here:

http://www.spitorswallow.co.za/blowme.php

Nap.  :icon_twisted:

werd

« Reply #73 on: 22 Jun 2010, 02:34 pm »
Just got mine from e-bay. Wife was less than impressed  :oops:

You can test-drive one here:

http://www.spitorswallow.co.za/blowme.php

LOl.... thinking about getting one myself...prob won't

Napalm

« Reply #74 on: 22 Jun 2010, 03:31 pm »

LOl.... thinking about getting one myself...prob won't

Just imagine it.... you and 3-4 of your friends in front of the TV, watching the FIFA World Cup, drinking beer and blowing the vuvuzelas... FUN!!!!!!!  :jester:

1oldguy

« Reply #75 on: 22 Jun 2010, 04:27 pm »
You should check that out. It doesn't look like its loaded with digital gating that normally drags down Yamaha gear.

It might be what you are after, I don't think its that expensive either.

I wonder if this were implemented in Bryston gear would it have any negative drawbacks regarding sound quality?
In all honestly I can't fault Bryston when it comes to sound quality but some recordings certainly could use something a little extra.
Think of it as as power to the people if you will.If it's a crap recording we would have a little control over what and how we like to hear it.If it's fine then leave her(Being from NFLD we talk like that),(The recording) alone.
Or is it impossible to have this implemented without side effects?
Of course James would know better than us.

Napalm

« Reply #76 on: 22 Jun 2010, 05:54 pm »
I wonder if this were implemented in Bryston gear would it have any negative drawbacks regarding sound quality?
In all honestly I can't fault Bryston when it comes to sound quality but some recordings certainly could use something a little extra.
Think of it as as power to the people if you will.If it's a crap recording we would have a little control over what and how we like to hear it.If it's fine then leave her(Being from NFLD we talk like that),(The recording) alone.
Or is it impossible to have this implemented without side effects?
Of course James would know better than us.

I was  :deadhorse: James on this to no avail too.

So getting back to the Yamaha. The amp section is pretty much useless, the problem is the usual japanese one, the power supply is not beefy enough to give you deep round undistorted bass punch. When you turn it up it sounds more like you're shaking rocks in a plastic bucket than real bass. Should work with easy loads (bookshelves) at low volume but not much more than that.

« Last Edit: 22 Jun 2010, 10:00 pm by Napalm »

vegasdave

« Reply #77 on: 22 Jun 2010, 06:46 pm »
Same here. I repeatedly asked about a possible Bryston eq. :D

werd

« Reply #78 on: 22 Jun 2010, 07:33 pm »
Just imagine it.... you and 3-4 of your friends in front of the TV, watching the FIFA World Cup, drinking beer and blowing the vuvuzelas... FUN!!!!!!!  :jester:

lol i am think of standing at the river here with it. Blowing it while "Shakespeare on the river" is on......

KeithA

« Reply #79 on: 22 Jun 2010, 11:17 pm »
Same here. I repeatedly asked about a possible Bryston eq. :D

If your music needs 'eq' help like this it's called "Car Tunes"  :wink:

Don't get me wrong, I have oodles of music like this that I truly enjoy...I just don't play it on the main system because it sounds horrible. But I'll never part with it ( I think I'll listen to some AC/DC on the iMac now :D)

Keith