What is your latest acquisition?

VOLKS

Re: What is your latest acquisition?
« Reply #140 on: 22 Jul 2010, 01:59 am »
Sounds like you are describing what I hear from some Krell products, and the way some have described bryston.    I don't use patch cords myself, USB works great.  I have heard ipod direct-input demos now for a few years at several hi-fi dealers. YMMV.

Nah....just describing the sound of an Ipod using a typical RCA going thru a preamp directley.

Construct

« Reply #141 on: 22 Jul 2010, 02:02 am »

Nah....just describing the sound of an Ipod using a typical RCA going thru a preamp directley.
Again, I don't do it that way.  I use the port/doc  sometimes a DAC.  The dealers do the same.  But My ipods seem to top out at 160GB.  I can't seem to squeeze 4,500 ALAC songs on it, let alone 45,000.

VOLKS

« Reply #142 on: 22 Jul 2010, 02:07 am »
Again, I don't do it that way.  I use the port/doc  sometimes a DAC.  The dealers do the same.  But My ipods seem to top out at 160GB.  I can't seem to squeeze 4,500 ALAC songs on it, let alone 45,000.

Again.........i was talking about the way ive done it compared to just direct line in(Not your way as you have mentioned)

Construct

« Reply #143 on: 22 Jul 2010, 02:12 am »

Again.........i was talking about the way ive done it compared to just direct line in(Not your way as you have mentioned)
How do you fit 45,000 ALAC songs on your ipod?

srb

« Reply #144 on: 22 Jul 2010, 02:13 am »
How do you fit 45,000 ALAC songs on your ipod?

30 second songs?

Steve

Construct

« Reply #145 on: 22 Jul 2010, 02:15 am »

30 second songs?

Steve
:icon_lol:
45,000 ringtones.

VOLKS

« Reply #146 on: 22 Jul 2010, 02:45 am »
:icon_lol:
45,000 ringtones.

Indeed lol....my error .....i misquoted the ammount of songs that can be downloaded on a 160GB Ipod using Apple Lossless.....Apple was refering to 40,000 songs at 4 minutes each,but using 128KPS AAC encoding(according to apple info)

Construct

« Reply #147 on: 22 Jul 2010, 02:46 am »
Indeed lol....my error .....i misquoted the ammount of songs that can be downloaded on a 160GB Ipod using Apple Lossless.....Apple was refering to 40,000 songs at 4 minutes each,but using 128KPS AAC encoding(according to apple info)
128K ...no wonder it sounds harsh with digital artifacts.  :o

VOLKS

« Reply #148 on: 22 Jul 2010, 02:59 am »
128K ...no wonder it sounds harsh with digital artifacts.  :o

*Sigh*...i was refering to myself downloading in Apple Lossless and expermenting using just an RCA directly to the Preamp compared to connecting it thru the KRELL K.I.D.....................NOT downloading it in 128K in any way at all.

Construct

« Reply #149 on: 22 Jul 2010, 03:07 am »

*Sigh*...i was refering to myself downloading in Apple Lossless and expermenting using just an RCA directly to the Preamp compared to connecting it thru the KRELL K.I.D.....................NOT downloading it in 128K in any way at all.
You seemed so sure about every post you made.  I was being facetious just to make sure you were stating what you actually meant. Well, we have gotten enough mileage out of this.  Time to move on.  Be well.

VOLKS

« Reply #150 on: 22 Jul 2010, 03:10 am »
You seemed so sure about every post you made.  I was being facetious just to make sure you were stating what you actually meant. Well, we have gotten enough mileage out of this.  Time to move on.  Be well.

Made an error in Apple info earlier lol....that i admitted :D
Be Well Indeed:)

srb

« Reply #151 on: 22 Jul 2010, 03:12 am »
Well, we have gotten enough mileage out of this.  Time to move on.  Be well.

But the moral of the story is, if you're not going to invest in a digital audio extraction dock for an iPod, at least use the line level analog output from the dock connector and not the headphone output!  There is a big difference in quality between those two.

Steve

VOLKS

« Reply #152 on: 22 Jul 2010, 03:29 am »

But the moral of the story is, if you're not going to invest in a digital audio extraction dock for an iPod, at least use the line level analog output from the dock connector and not the headphone output!  There is a big difference in quality between those two.

Steve

You got it! 8)

Construct

« Reply #153 on: 22 Jul 2010, 03:33 am »

Steve
That was a forehead slap moment for me.  I set up my listening room and mistakenly used the headphone jack. I thought at first... this isn't going to work...it sounds awful. Oh wait... USB port  :duh: .  In my defense, it was late by the time I finished setup.   

mike678

A Burl B2 Bomber....
« Reply #154 on: 22 Jul 2010, 11:16 pm »
ADC...so I can digitise my vinyl collection. Extremely transparent, silky, and dynamic when coupled to either the Bryston 1.5 or the Wavestream phono.

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #155 on: 23 Jul 2010, 07:58 am »
Ack! Why would you digitize your vinyl?

mike678

Good question..here's why
« Reply #156 on: 23 Jul 2010, 10:52 pm »
1: Vinyl digitized to a mininum of 24/96 LOSSLESS on a high-quality studio-grade ADC (soundcards are NOT good enough) is indistinguishable to the phono source itself. This is not just based on my hearing (I would not trust that alone) but on that of everyone we did the test with. I am talking about comparing to vinyl on SME30 and above type of tables. All the euphonics, "air",depth, and so one, transfer perfectly.

This still does not answer the "why" question...leading to,

2: We have very rare and often irreplaceable copies of vinyl recordings. We want to archive them but still enjoy playing the music whenever we can. Hence the transferal to digital...where we, by hand, remove egregious pops and clicks but otherwise leave the recording alone. If we are going to archive the irreplaceable records, then why not ALL the collection?

3: A music server of high quality is very very convenient to use; we have our systems setup to be  controlled by an Ipad. You sit in your listening chair and choose from the hundreds of thousands of songs on your list. Now, music servers are not perfect, nothing is, but the servers I build have made folk sell off their dCs transports and uber clocks! There are many guys out there than can build them just as well or,perhaps, even better! (Ego alert..no no they can't do it better!!)

4: I am getting old, getting up every 10-15 minutes to change a record over, when I have totally automatic abilities in my server, just seems nuts to me. If I was tied to the ritual of putting on the record, that would be one thing, but I am not a ritual sort of guy. What I am is a lazy sort of guy....

vegasdave

« Reply #157 on: 23 Jul 2010, 11:26 pm »
I see. I guess that doesn't sound too bad. But, I like the whole vinyl ritual and playing of it on a good turntable. It's just more real to me.

mike678

I can respect that
« Reply #158 on: 23 Jul 2010, 11:52 pm »
the entire ritual is very meaningful for some folk...used to be for me...getting old I guess.

vegasdave

« Reply #159 on: 23 Jul 2010, 11:58 pm »
Nah, you're cool. Whatever makes you happy. :D