Thinking of buying a 7" MTM? Circondare

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: Thinking of buying a 7" MTM? Circondare
« Reply #20 on: 31 Jul 2010, 02:47 am »
I love 2.5 ways, they give you added sensitivity (due to taking care of baffle step acoustically), but don't have the upper midrange lobing problems of MTM designs.  Plus, twice the surface area being used for the bass is almost always a good thing!  This design looks excellent, I hope to hear it someday.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
« Reply #21 on: 31 Jul 2010, 06:18 pm »
Looks good! Has kind of a 'muscular' look to it. Is this a sealed cabinet? If so, can I assume it would also work ported if the cabinet was larger? And lastly, what's the approximate efficiency of this design?

Yes, it can move some air.  :thumb:
The cabinet is sealed but a ported floorstander is also possible. 88db sensitivity so it will rock without much power.  :)

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #22 on: 31 Jul 2010, 07:08 pm »
You have any plots, FR, and cost?  That thing looks awesome I need to hear it at some point.

Yes, I have all the measurements and will post them soon. The cost is $2,895/pr. with the standard cabinet (gloss black,maple,cherry). Includes shipping and deluxe crossovers.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #23 on: 1 Aug 2010, 06:49 pm »
Rick,

The Circondare seems to have similar components to your Cima monitor.  On your website, the Cima for some reason does not specify the size of the Illuminator midbass, but comparing them to the RAAL ribbon faceplate, they must be smaller than the 7", perhaps 5.5" or 6"?

How does the Circondare TMM compare to the MTM Cima in performance and price?

I must admit that I get a little confused with the continual introduction of new models, and don't really know how to compare them, particularly if they are at similar price points.

Steve

The Circondare is $2,895/pr. in the standard curved cabinets (gloss black,maple,cherry). The Cima woofer is 5.5". I realize it can be somewhat confusing, similar to seeing  a dinner menu with many good dishes to choose from. The benefit is that we can customize to fit your needs rather than offering a one-size-fits-all speaker. That being said, the two designs are different in that the Circondare offers more coverage for standing listeners. It also moves more air and has greater dynamic capability in the bass and mid frequencies. I prefer the aluminum cone resolution of the Circondare's woofer so it would be my choice.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #24 on: 1 Aug 2010, 07:14 pm »
How low will 2 aluminum 5.5" cones go in your cabinet Rick and how much power can they handle? Thanks.  :D

Cheers,
Robin

srb

« Reply #25 on: 1 Aug 2010, 07:15 pm »
The Circondare is $2,895/pr. in the standard curved cabinets (gloss black,maple,cherry). The Cima woofer is 5.5". I realize it can be somewhat confusing, similar to seeing  a dinner menu with many good dishes to choose from. The benefit is that we can customize to fit your needs rather than offering a one-size-fits-all speaker. That being said, the two designs are different in that the Circondare offers more coverage for standing listeners. It also moves more air and has greater dynamic capability in the bass and mid frequencies. I prefer the aluminum cone resolution of the Circondare's woofer so it would be my choice.

Thanks for the explanation.  It would seem that pricewise, the $2,895/pr. Circondare somehow offers a little more bang for the buck than the $3,095/pr. Cima (both with standard cabinets).

Can either of these be built as a floorstanding speaker?  Does going to a floorstanding speaker automatically put you into a custom cabinet, as I'm thinking there may not be any floorstanding cabinet equivalents to the "standard" monitor cabinets?

Steve

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #26 on: 1 Aug 2010, 08:19 pm »
How low will 2 aluminum 5.5" cones go in your cabinet Rick and how much power can they handle? Thanks.  :D

Cheers,
Robin
The 5.5" isn't available right now with the aluminum cone but I'm working on that.  :wink:

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #27 on: 1 Aug 2010, 08:34 pm »
The 5.5" isn't available right now with the aluminum cone but I'm working on that.  ;)

I misread your prior post Rick,, sorry bout that.  :duh:   But I look forward to this loudspeaker's specs if/when you're ready to post them.  :D

Cheers,
Robin

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #28 on: 2 Aug 2010, 01:33 am »
Looks good! Has kind of a 'muscular' look to it. Is this a sealed cabinet? If so, can I assume it would also work ported if the cabinet was larger? And lastly, what's the approximate efficiency of this design?

Sealed cabinet (stand mounted) or ported (larger internal volume) in a floorstander. 88db sensitivity and 4-ohm load. Yes, it will play with authority.  :thumb:

jmc207

« Reply #29 on: 19 Aug 2010, 03:28 am »
Yes, I have all the measurements and will post them soon.

If you have them handy, I'm interested in seeing whatever measurements and/or graphs you have on these. Thanks.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #30 on: 19 Aug 2010, 07:20 pm »
If you have them handy, I'm interested in seeing whatever measurements and/or graphs you have on these. Thanks.

Yes I have them and you're welcome to shoot me an email if you like. The last month has been incredibly busy and I just returned from delivering speakers to Pennsylvania and New Jersey.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #31 on: 20 Aug 2010, 05:04 pm »
Measurements  :thumb:

On-Axis response...

Off-Axis versus On-Axis...

Here's the vertical response from 10 degrees above the tweeter at the  15 degrees horizontal position...

Sealed version...

Ported version...

ricardojoa

« Reply #32 on: 30 Sep 2010, 11:25 am »
Hi Rick,
I was wondering, since the cima is still more expensive, is there any reason worthy to opt for cima over the Circondare. I know that you seem to favor the circondare, but the cima are more expensive and i hope it will be justified some where.
Thanks

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #33 on: 30 Sep 2010, 06:48 pm »
Hi Rick,
I was wondering, since the cima is still more expensive, is there any reason worthy to opt for cima over the Circondare. I know that you seem to favor the circondare, but the cima are more expensive and i hope it will be justified some where.
Thanks

Well it depends on your listening preferences and system. What do you currently have?

ricardojoa

« Reply #34 on: 1 Oct 2010, 02:54 am »
Well it depends on your listening preferences and system. What do you currently have?
I currently have a basic av receiver, acend sierra front. I listen from R&B to jazz to rock, basically everything. Thanks

pslate

« Reply #35 on: 1 Oct 2010, 03:55 pm »
As an owner of both brands I wouldn't hesitate to buy Selahs. There was online banter about the Sierras vs. the SSRs a while back and the conclusion is that they are in a whole different league. If you prefer paper cones a TMM style Grandeur or SSR would rock the house and might save you a couple bucks  8)

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #36 on: 1 Oct 2010, 08:14 pm »
I currently have a basic av receiver, acend sierra front. I listen from R&B to jazz to rock, basically everything. Thanks

One thing to consider is that a MTM like the Cima will have vertical coverage that's better suited to seated listening. The Circondare is designed so that seated or standing listeners have even response.

GMoney78

« Reply #37 on: 4 Oct 2010, 11:16 pm »
As an owner of both brands I wouldn't hesitate to buy Selahs. There was online banter about the Sierras vs. the SSRs a while back and the conclusion is that they are in a whole different league. If you prefer paper cones a TMM style Grandeur or SSR would rock the house and might save you a couple bucks  8)

I have also owned both the Sierras and the SSRs, and while for me the SSR was the preferred speaker, it did not best the Sierras in every category.  I couldn't make the same recommendation to ricardojoa without knowing what he was hoping to improve upon.

jomo-6

« Reply #38 on: 1 Nov 2010, 01:32 am »
As the owner of some of Rick’s latest creations, I thought I would share some impressions to those who might have an interest.

Some background:  I set out at the beginning of this year to assemble a reasonably priced, high-end (two very relative terms, I know!) 5.1 HT/music system from scratch.  For whatever reason, by around May I had researched and acquired all the key components (HDTV, processor, amp, BD/CD player) – except the speakers.

I found Rick’s stuff a bit by accident.  I had narrowed my search down to a few well-respected manufacturers (Salk was at the top of my list at the time) using well-respected drivers.  In one of the forums, someone mentioned that Rick was using similar drivers in a monitor design (which was actually my preference).

After a lot of e-mail exchanges (Rick could not have been more helpful throughout this process, by the way) and an audition of the Veritas (I’m lucky – Rick is only about an hour away from me), I ended up going with a 2.5 way version of the Verita – the Circondare – and a custom center to fit my audio cabinet.

In theory, 2.5 ways have great sensitivity, are very fast and dynamic and have a punchy low end.  Here’s my subjective analysis – these babies can kick!  I had the fronts by themselves for about a month before I got the sub (which I’ll get to in a minute).  They obviously aren’t designed to handle the very bottom end of today’s movie soundtracks, but I was surprised by how much air they could move.  I won’t drone on about the Raal tweeter – suffice it to say I fully agree with all the commentary out there praising its complete transparency and effortlessness.  I think the Illuminators and the Raal go really well together – very neutral, very detailed from top to bottom.

I really wasn’t planning on Rick building me a sub.  Performance-wise, I was looking for a sealed box with an f3 of 20hz or below and had my eye on two or three other options out there (including JL Audio & Seaton). For me, though, Rick’s alternative (http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=85785.0) – a 1000-watt DSP amp driving TC Sounds’ LMS 15” woofer – turned out to be the best combination of performance, price and reasonable size.  Again, I think this sub integrates really well with the monitors.  Very articulate, effortless and musical --  and yet for HT, not at all hesitant to kick you in the gut when stuff blows up!

Bottom line, I’m really happy with my decisions.  For the money, I don’t think I could have done better.  Thanks to all of you out there who have shared your thoughts and opinions on forums like this (you know who you are).  And thanks again to you, Rick, for being so good at what you do and so great to work with!

Some pics:

redskinsfan

« Reply #39 on: 3 Nov 2010, 04:45 am »
Just curious, jomo-6, and if it was in your post and I missed it, I apologize, but what are you using for surrounds in your 5-1 setup? A couple more Circondares would be awesome!