Cowboy Junkies

Moon Doggy

Re: Cowboy Junkies
« Reply #80 on: 31 May 2010, 05:13 am »
Chris,
These Bryston guys do not venture out.  I've told them many times about identical threads (like "good hirez downloads") I've run over on the HiRez forum, but to no avail.  They have their own 'what are you listening to now" called 'what are you currently listening to".  :scratch:     Oh well.   :)

I've posted in Ted's Hi Rez forum many times. Highly recommended.

Bryston DAC's need the Hi Rez forum :thumb:

Moon Doggy

« Reply #81 on: 31 May 2010, 05:15 am »
:peek: :peek: :peek: :peek: :peek: :peek: :peek: :peek: :peek::peek: :peek: :peek: :peek: :peek: :peek: :peek: :peek: :peek:

Venture out - naw...

:lol:

Be well...
I thought the only condition that allowed us out was the expiration of the the 20-year warranty :green:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Moon Doggy

« Reply #82 on: 31 May 2010, 05:38 am »
Back on topic...

The DVD from Trinity Revisited is a favourite. Professional attention to detail and SQ

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #83 on: 31 May 2010, 03:11 pm »
'Lay It Down'  IMO is their best work, easily beating 'The Trinity Sessions'.  While not a 'great' recording for audiophiles who obsess over technicalities, it is a regale melodious feast.  The creative expression and execution on ‘Lay It Down’ is unmatched by their previous and successive work.  A must have for any Junkie fan.

Agreed 100%.  I didn't list it cuz question was about top 3 recording quality, yet I use songs like "Just Want To See" for soundstage a lot.  It's a great album, with some of their best songwriting.  It's a bit more produced than their minimalist Ambisonic stuff but nothing like their middle career catalog (Miles From Our Home, etc are too over-produced for my tastes...relatively speaking)..

They did an updated bluesy version of Common Disaster at the most recent concert here and it was incredible.  Much more Alan Anton (bass) driven and really a great blues/rock feel.  Nice.   :)

b5pt9

« Reply #84 on: 1 Jun 2010, 02:48 am »
'Lay It Down'  IMO is their best work, easily beating 'The Trinity Sessions'.  While not a 'great' recording for audiophiles who obsess over technicalities, it is a regale melodious feast.  The creative expression and execution on ‘Lay It Down’ is unmatched by their previous and successive work.  A must have for any Junkie fan.

Also agree 100%

Napalm

« Reply #85 on: 1 Jun 2010, 03:27 am »
While not a 'great' recording for audiophiles who obsess over technicalities, it is a regale melodious feast.  The creative expression and execution on ‘Lay It Down’ is unmatched by their previous and successive work.  A must have for any Junkie fan.

Now don't label me "audiophile"  :o  :oops:, I'm just a music lover, I do have and listen to old records like from the '40s, however I had some really bad experiences with recent purchases of contemporary recordings. I think there's no excuse these days for a poor recording....

Thanks for the suggestions!

Nap.  :thumb:

P.S. Just checked, my collection goes back to the 20's, the oldest is Carlos Gardel transferred from 78rpm....... you can imagine the sound, but hey those were the times....

jimdgoulding

« Reply #86 on: 1 Jun 2010, 04:15 am »
Now don't label me "audiophile"  :o  :oops:, I'm just a music lover, I do have and listen to old records like from the '40s, however I had some really bad experiences with recent purchases of contemporary recordings. I think there's no excuse these days for a poor recording....

Thanks for the suggestions!

Nap.  :thumb:

P.S. Just checked, my collection goes back to the 20's, the oldest is Carlos Gardel transferred from 78rpm....... you can imagine the sound, but hey those were the times....
September Song sung by Walter Houston on 78rpm.  Me mum's favorite.  My love of music first began in the 50's.  I was 10.  Across the street at my mom's best friend's house every Saturday night, Texas R&B would be blowing on the radio in her daughter's bedroom and opera on her Motorola console in the living room.

The Cowboy Junkies first got noticed, in audio magazines, anyway, because of the acoustics of their debut recording.  While their musicianship has improved, their singer has not.  Everytime Natalie Merchant chimes in on the Trinity Revisited DVD (saw it on cable), the lead singer fumbles.  Her intonation goes out the window.  Plus, she looks pitifully pretentious to me, maybe she's just uncomfortable (and overacting).  Sounds like she should be to me.
« Last Edit: 1 Jun 2010, 07:16 pm by jimdgoulding »

Wind Chaser

« Reply #87 on: 1 Jun 2010, 07:37 am »
While their musicianship has improved, their singer has not.  Everytime Natalie Merchant chimes in on the Trinity Revisited DVD (saw it on cable), the lady fumbles.  Her intonation goes out the window.  Plus, she looks pitifully pretentious to me, maybe she's just uncomfortable (and over acting).  Sounds like she should be to me.

NM isn't a Junkie.  Margo Timmins is the lead.  I find no fault in her vocals, which BTW are very appropriate for the Junkie mood and style.

JRace

• Greetings one and Everyone!
« Reply #88 on: 1 Jun 2010, 04:59 pm »
The Cowboy Junkies first got noticed, in audio magazines, anyway, because of the acoustics of their debut recording.  While their musicianship has improved, their singer has not.  Everytime Natalie Merchant chimes in on the Trinity Revisited DVD (saw it on cable), the lady fumbles.  Her intonation goes out the window.  Plus, she looks pitifully pretentious to me, maybe she's just uncomfortable (and over acting).  Sounds like she should be to me.
Perhaps you should listen to Margo Timmins sing and not Natilie Merchant...as Margo is the singer for Cowboy Junkies, and Natalie was just a guest.

And (IMO) Margo has no need to improve. She was great on their debut, and is stilll great today. I highly recomenend the original Trinity album. Listen to Sweet Jane or Blue Moon.

rob80b

« Reply #89 on: 1 Jun 2010, 06:02 pm »
Hi Guys

Thanks for bring up this thread, I'm in TO so it's a bit sad I've not really listened to them before.
Been listening to cuts from their music catalogue for the last hour or so while sitting in my shop looking out the window, matches the mood.
Intend to step out and pick up a few Discs later  in the week.

Robert

Ronm1

• "A Bug!! Naa...thats a feature!
« Reply #90 on: 1 Jun 2010, 07:55 pm »
Though I have just about all there stuff, I'm partial to 200 miles their live 2 disk set.
Good sonics for this live set IMHO, of course.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #91 on: 1 Jun 2010, 10:36 pm »

The Trinity Session

Studio album by Cowboy Junkies
Released 1988
Recorded 27 November 1987, Church of the Holy Trinity, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Genre Country rock
Length 52:36
Label Latent
Producer Peter Moore

The Trinity Session is a 1988 album by Cowboy Junkies, their second album.

The music was recorded at Toronto, Ontario's Church of the Holy Trinity on November 27, 1987 (1987-11-27), with the band circled around a single microphone. The album includes a mixture of original material by the band and covers of classic pop, rock and country songs, including the band's most famous single, a cover of The Velvet Underground's "Sweet Jane", based on the early version found on 1969: The Velvet Underground Live, rather than the well-known studio version from Loaded. Also included is "Blue Moon Revisited (Song for Elvis)", which is both a cover and an original, combining a new song by the band with the pop standard "Blue Moon".

The album was released in early 1988 on Latent Records in Canada, and rereleased worldwide later in the year on RCA Records. "Working on a Building" and "Blue Moon Revisited (Song for Elvis)" did not appear on the Latent Records release. "Blue Moon Revisited" was originally released on It Came from Canada, Vol. 4, a compilation of Canadian independent bands.

In 2007 the album was performed live in its entirety as part of the All Tomorrow's Parties-curated Don't Look Back series. Also in that year, the band released a new 20th anniversary edition of the album, Trinity Revisited, with guest musicians Natalie Merchant, Vic Chesnutt and Ryan Adams.

According to website Acclaimed Music [1], the album is the 893rd most acclaimed album ever released. It was named the 42nd best album of the 1980s by Pitchfork Media in 2002 and the 36th best Canadian album by Chart in 2000. It was also ranked 62nd in Bob Mersereau's book The Top 100 Canadian Albums in 2007.

The recording sessions
According to the band's website [2], the direction of The Trinity Sessions was influenced by music they heard while touring the southern United States in support of Whites Off Earth Now!!. The lyrics and instrumentation of the album were lifted from the classic country groups the band was exposed to, and the song "200 More Miles" was written in reference to their life on the road.

As they had on Whites, the band wanted to record live with one stereo microphone direct to tape. Peter Moore was enlisted and suggested the Church of the Holy Trinity in Toronto for its natural reverb. To better persuade the officials of the historic church, the band claimed to be The Timmins Family Singers and said they were recording a Christmas special for radio. The session began on the morning of November 27, 1987. The group first recorded the songs with the fewest instruments and then the songs with gradually more complex arrangements. In this way Moore and the band were able to solve acoustic problems one by one. To better balance Margo Timmins's vocals against the electric guitars and drums, she was recorded through a PA system that had been left behind by a previous group. By making subtle changes in volume and placement relative to the microphone over six hours, Moore and the band had finally reached the distinctive sound of the album by the time the last of the guest musicians arrived at the church.

The band was unable to rehearse with most of the guest musicians before the day of the session. Considering the method of recording and time constraints, this could have been disastrous for the numbers which required seven or more musicians, but after paying a security guard twenty five dollars for an extra two hours, the band was able to finish, and even recorded the final song of the session, "Misguided Angel", in a single take.

Contrary to popular myth, the album was not entirely recorded in one day. In the hustle of the first recording session, the band forgot to record "Mining for Gold". Margo and Moore recorded the song a few days later during the Toronto Symphony Orchestra's lunch break.

Napalm

« Reply #92 on: 1 Jun 2010, 11:47 pm »
I've just ordered it  :thumb:

I'm somehow amazed how I missed them until now. Must have been the band name.

Nap.

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #93 on: 2 Jun 2010, 04:19 am »
I've just ordered it  :thumb:

I'm somehow amazed how I missed them until now. Must have been the band name.

Nap.

With a name like that - there is no way I would place them next to any of my music on the shelf. Even if I did enjoy their music - I would hide it somewhere when I was not listening to it - would this make me a closet Junkie :scratch:.

Sigh - just call me shallow :(

Be well...

jimdgoulding

« Reply #94 on: 2 Jun 2010, 06:11 am »
With a name like that - there is no way I would place them next to any of my music on the shelf. Even if I did enjoy their music - I would hide it somewhere when I was not listening to it - would this make me a closet Junkie :scratch:.

Be well...

« Last Edit: 2 Jun 2010, 04:11 pm by jimdgoulding »

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #95 on: 2 Jun 2010, 11:34 pm »
So James, has the Cowboy Junkies guy bought some Bryston stuff?

JRace

• Greetings one and Everyone!
« Reply #96 on: 3 Jun 2010, 12:38 am »

Be well...
I figure this disc balances it out in my collection

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #97 on: 3 Jun 2010, 04:31 am »
I figure this disc balances it out in my collection

:o :thumb:

Be well...

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #98 on: 3 Jun 2010, 05:41 pm »
Got my monthly Cowboy Junkies newsletter email today.  They are offering a two-song free download from the new album, Renmin Park.
Try them.
http://latentrecordings.com/cowboyjunkies/renmin-promo-1/

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #99 on: 5 Jun 2010, 06:58 pm »
Sent: June 5, 2010 2:03 PM
To: James Tanner
Subject: Re: Bryston CD Player order

Hi James,

I hooked up the BCD1 this morning and...oh man...I never thought that I'd be excited about "re-discovering" my CD collection. I've been listening to a lot of vinyl these days and I've been pining for the good old days, but the BCD1 has brought out the depth and subtle overtones on my CDs that I thought were only available on vinyl. It's very exciting for this old jaded set of ears.

We would love to provide some Junkies music as part of the BDP1 promotion. After hearing your CD player I have faith that the BDP1 will finally do justice to this next generation of recorded music. Let me know how you want to proceed.

Also...if you have any "samples" of the BDP1 lying around, taking up space, please think of me....I'd be happy to get behind something that champions an audiophile listening experience for the new generation. We have a new website that is loaded with downloadable music and we are now starting to offer it in FLAC. It's good to know that there will be a proper way to experience these high resolution files.

thanks
Mike Timmins
Cowboy Junkies