Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
Re: Cowboy Junkies
« Reply #100 on: 5 Jun 2010, 07:15 pm »
Sent: June 5, 2010 2:03 PM
To: James Tanner
Subject: Re: Bryston CD Player order

Hi James,

I hooked up the BCD1 this morning and...oh man...I never thought that I'd be excited about "re-discovering" my CD collection. I've been listening to a lot of vinyl these days and I've been pining for the good old days, but the BCD1 has brought out the depth and subtle overtones on my CDs that I thought were only available on vinyl. It's very exciting for this old jaded set of ears.

We would love to provide some Junkies music as part of the BDP1 promotion. After hearing your CD player I have faith that the BDP1 will finally do justice to this next generation of recorded music. Let me know how you want to proceed.

Also...if you have any "samples" of the BDP1 lying around, taking up space, please think of me....I'd be happy to get behind something that champions an audiophile listening experience for the new generation. We have a new website that is loaded with downloadable music and we are now starting to offer it in FLAC. It's good to know that there will be a proper way to experience these high resolution files.

thanks
Mike Timmins
Cowboy Junkies

Is this an example of one hand washing the other - just curious… :scratch:

Be well...

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #101 on: 5 Jun 2010, 07:22 pm »
Hi Laundrew,

No... I think this is a reaction from someone who is really enjoying what the CD Player does sonically - neat to hear he listen's to vinyl :thumb:

james

Laundrew

« Reply #102 on: 5 Jun 2010, 08:14 pm »
Hi Laundrew,

No... I think this is a reaction from someone who is really enjoying what the CD Player does sonically - neat to hear he listen's to vinyl :thumb:

james

Hello James,

Thank you for the clarification :thumb:

Personally, I tend to ignore “celebrity” endorsements for any products, especially if they are compensated or receive special considerations to do so (please note that I am not implying this in this instance).

While some demographics and product lines are perfectly suited for celebrity endorsements, I believe that individuals looking to purchase above average audio equipment are not influenced by “midway hawkers.”

Who would I consider a recommendation from? An audio dealer that I trust or an average individual whom has thoroughly researched and dreamed of their purchased and also demonstrates “pride of ownership.” My wife’s new audio system will have a Bryston amplifier in it. Did I require a celebrity to tell me this - certainly not. The recommendation came from a few quality audio components sitting on my shelf.

Be well…

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #103 on: 5 Jun 2010, 08:27 pm »
Hi Laundrew,

I agree - each person has to decide for themselves but I do not think you can simply discount a persons opinion just because they are famous.  As I said in my comments above "Musicians Are People Too" :D

james

Napalm

« Reply #104 on: 5 Jun 2010, 08:29 pm »
 :idea: How about talking the cowboys into something cool. Like including in the BDP-1 box an USB key with a couple of 24/192 tracks featuring a small selection of their songs with an exceptional recording of Margo's voice. This would be a win-win promotion.

And I would definitely appreciate to have something really good to test the BDP-1 with, right after unpacking it.

Nap.  :thumb:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #105 on: 5 Jun 2010, 08:36 pm »
OK - I give up - no more posting when a celebrity buys our gear :duh:

james

Napalm

« Reply #106 on: 5 Jun 2010, 08:38 pm »

james

No no we want to hear, just make sure it's not about Britney, Lindsay or Paris  :lol:

Open Minded Nap.  :thumb:

Laundrew

« Reply #107 on: 5 Jun 2010, 08:42 pm »
No no we want to hear, just make sure it's not about Britney, Lindsay or Paris  :lol:

Open Minded Nap.  :thumb:

Nap...

Do you have an issue with Paris?

:jester: :jester: :jester:

Be well...

Napalm

« Reply #108 on: 5 Jun 2010, 08:44 pm »
Nap...

Do you have an issue with Paris?

:jester: :jester: :jester:

Be well...

I could definitely do without her "starring" in movies or trying to sing......

Nap.  :duh:

BrysTony

« Reply #109 on: 5 Jun 2010, 09:20 pm »
I think that some are missing the point -- Mike Timmins' desire to be associated with Bryston has nothing to do with getting free or discounted equipment.  He has chosen a company that builds outstanding products and that is on the cutting edge of development for the transition to computer-based audio formats.  I believe that he wants that association primarily for the exposure that Bryston can give to the Cowboy Junkies.  The Junkies benefited from an association with the audiophile community back in 1988 when no one had heard of them.  Stereophile used "The Trinity Sessions" in many of their equipment reviews over the next decade and named it one of their "Records to die for".  The Junkies music does not lend itself to radio play so that audiophile connection sold a ton of records for them.  Without that we may never have heard of them.

The folks on this forum know that Bryston produces awesome equipment - Mike Timmins knows it too or he would have picked another company.  Let us all just appreciate it and James, I, for one enjoy reading about "celebs" that share our passion for great sounds.

Tony  :D

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #110 on: 5 Jun 2010, 11:04 pm »

james

No, don't do that...especially if it's a heavy metal band, haha.

1ZIP

« Reply #111 on: 5 Jun 2010, 11:27 pm »

james

No, don't do that.  What a celeb is buying or endorsing has little to nothing to do with my buying decisions.   However, the info is interesting none the less.  Besides, there are only a few people bitching about it anyway! :)

vegasdave

« Reply #112 on: 6 Jun 2010, 05:20 am »
Yes, the info is interesting. I'm always curious to see what others have to say about Bryston, including famous ones!

werd

« Reply #113 on: 6 Jun 2010, 05:30 am »
All you guys should care about is what i buy....  :dance:

vegasdave

« Reply #114 on: 6 Jun 2010, 06:41 am »
haha ok. What did you buy?

Moon Doggy

« Reply #115 on: 6 Jun 2010, 07:04 am »
Sent: June 5, 2010 2:03 PM
To: James Tanner
Subject: Re: Bryston CD Player order

Hi James,

I hooked up the BCD1 this morning and...oh man...I never thought that I'd be excited about "re-discovering" my CD collection. I've been listening to a lot of vinyl these days and I've been pining for the good old days, but the BCD1 has brought out the depth and subtle overtones on my CDs that I thought were only available on vinyl. It's very exciting for this old jaded set of ears.

We would love to provide some Junkies music as part of the BDP1 promotion. After hearing your CD player I have faith that the BDP1 will finally do justice to this next generation of recorded music. Let me know how you want to proceed.

Also...if you have any "samples" of the BDP1 lying around, taking up space, please think of me....I'd be happy to get behind something that champions an audiophile listening experience for the new generation. We have a new website that is loaded with downloadable music and we are now starting to offer it in FLAC. It's good to know that there will be a proper way to experience these high resolution files.

thanks
Mike Timmins
Cowboy Junkies

Its very impressive that a musician like Mike Timmins would want to associate the Cowboy Junkies with Bryston products. The Junkies have a worldwide reputation for quality and peak performance built up over 20+ years. Just like Bryston! :lol:

Quite an endorsement, James! :thumb: Will you take up the offer?

Moon Doggy

« Reply #116 on: 6 Jun 2010, 05:15 pm »
Got my monthly Cowboy Junkies newsletter email today.  They are offering a two-song free download from the new album, Renmin Park.
Try them.
http://latentrecordings.com/cowboyjunkies/renmin-promo-1/

Hey Ted,thanks for the link to the free downloads. The tracks sound great. Now I'm tempted to buy the new album. Load it onto my new BDP1 8)

If the BDP1 + BDA combo @$4200 approx. sounds anything like the similar PS Audio Transport and DAC @ $6000 then you've got a real winner. Like James said loading the files on a readily accessible drive for the DAC etc.  takes digital to a whole new level.

I'd like to compare the two....

werd

« Reply #117 on: 6 Jun 2010, 09:17 pm »
haha ok. What did you buy?

2011 Toyota Sienna. Might have to put any audio purchase on hold for good while....

Moon Doggy

« Reply #118 on: 6 Jun 2010, 09:21 pm »
2011 Toyota Sienna. Might have to put any audio purchase on hold for good while....

Nice buy, werd!

Is there enough room to put the AZ Adagios in the back? :green:

Don't tell me you haven't thought of it 'cause I know you have!

werd

« Reply #119 on: 6 Jun 2010, 09:29 pm »
Nice buy, werd!

Is there enough room to put the AZ Adagios in the back? :green:

Don't tell me you haven't thought of it 'cause I know you have!

Lol..... one of the very first things.......  :D