Introducing WyWires...

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
Re: Introducing WyWires...
« Reply #60 on: 27 Jun 2010, 10:43 am »
As I stated earlier, yesterday I received some speaker cables from Alex-I asked that these be unterminated and essentially bare at both ends-he was happy to oblige. The cable themselves are wrapped in a white mesh like covering with each end consisting of about 6 inches of Red and Black wire coming through a sleeve with about 1 inch of tinned bare wire at each cables end.
I was asked to give them 10+ hours to settle in, which I did-(that prompted the poll about break-in). As in the past with Wywires the build quality is excellent and they are aesthetically pleasing to look at. My first cable from Alex was a "hot sauce" line in and the addition to my system was a profound change for the better. After listening to this latest addition I must say they made a change for the better but not to the degree that the first cable did- I'd say like 1/2 as much.

The first impression was a touch of brightness but the detail was excellent the imaging and soundstage were wonderful. As I was listening to some Jean Michel Jarre the imaging was incredible, not at all sounding as if generated by the speakers more like coming from the whole wall. The speakers themselves were absolutely gone, the reference point of the music was the entire wall, not the speaker cabinets themselves. Truly a fun time listening and getting lost in all the great sounds I was hearing. For whatever reason the sound now was fuller and not as bright as if "they settled in"....In a PM I sent to another tester here awhile ago I mentioned that "wouldn't it be great to re-cable your whole system with Wywires"...I'm close to that now and enjoying every minute of it!! Thanks Alex for letting me be part of your test, a great learning experience for me and a very nice upgrade to my system, please let me know if you need anything else from me and Best Of Luck in your new venture!!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Gopher

« Reply #61 on: 27 Jun 2010, 11:45 pm »
Phil,

Thanks for your thoughts.  I wish I'd heard your cables for a little more reference, but it is cool to hear the thoughts of someone with far more experience in the uber high end than I.  Its almost unnerving being the first to publicly review something in such a subjective hobby--I know I've been eagerly waiting for other, more experienced folks to chime in to see if they share my findings (or if I have tin ears!)  Very cool to be in agreement.

Also, your thoughts on the cost of cables is quite interesting.  I realized connectors could be quite spendy, but I never really viewed the R&D cost of parts alone in that light.  It adds significant legitimacy to the costs and makes it a bit easier to rationalize for those working on more traditional budgets. 

Ed,

Interesting first thoughts.  I'm jealous you are trying the speaker cable, but I've got the pre-amp to amp cable coming (hopefully tomorrow) so I'll be adding another layer to equation. 

Your general feeling regarding adding another Wywire to the equation is similar to mine.  A definite top to bottom improvement, but not quite the revelation of merely getting a pair in the system.  One interesting twist for you though:  Wait a few days until you've gotten used to the sound and pull one of the Wywires out in favor of your old reference.  At least in my case I learned I'd lost more than I realized I'd gained.

Nick77

« Reply #62 on: 28 Jun 2010, 12:07 am »
  I know I've been eagerly waiting for other, more experienced folks to chime in to see if they share my findings (or if I have tin ears!)  Very cool to be in agreement.

Fred great post, I have been waiting for a few others to join the crowd too with higher end equipment than i posses and confirm our findings. Nice to see were on track and not being overly enthusiastic. hehe
I am a day ahead of you with adding another layer to the equation with the pre-out cable. I dont have 50 hrs on the cable yet but so far it is similiar to yours and Ed's evaluation of adding another layer of refinement but not like adding the first WyWire to the system as you mentioned.
I feel like I am one step closer to being a fatigue free listener. Thank you Alex.

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #63 on: 28 Jun 2010, 12:11 am »
Its very cool isn't it how we all are hearing the same thing...quite amazing and a lot of fun!!! :thumb: :thumb:

Phil A

« Reply #64 on: 28 Jun 2010, 01:04 am »
Phil,

Also, your thoughts on the cost of cables is quite interesting.  I realized connectors could be quite spendy, but I never really viewed the R&D cost of parts alone in that light.  It adds significant legitimacy to the costs and makes it a bit easier to rationalize for those working on more traditional budgets. 

Gopher, perhaps at some point down the road when I get myself more organized, I can lend you a cable to listen to.  My main system backs to the bedroom system and I have cables back and forth through the wall waiting for the Bryston SP3.  I have HDMI and digital coax sitting there and a long analog RCA so I can use the single ended RCAs out of my Bryston DAC in the bedroom (how's that for a source for the bedroom system).  I'm also probably within few months going to get a new receiver for the basement system (not that I really need one but I want one).  I wish I lived closer to Alex so I could come over and have some fun listening to stuff. 

Also as Alex noted it takes time to assemble cables.  Some of the mass more mainstream companies have theirs assembled in places where the labor is not overly expensive.  That also can lead to quality control issues.  One could have one cable sound different from a another one of the identical model.  I've seen that many times with components as well.  I can remember years back a retailer I knew calling me in the back room showing me a matching amp. preamp and tuner from the same company all slightly different shades of color.  Another time, I had heard two identical model $900 highly regarded preamps from a manufacturer where one sounded wonderful and the other literally like crap.

I was retired at one point for almost a six year period and spent some time just before retirement to after for about 3 years almost getting into the cable manufacturing business.  I do have a friend who makes his own cables and I contemplated at first buying it and incorporating my stuff.  I also was temporarily hooked up with a custom contractor builder and we did bid on a job and then he temporarily went down with back surgery.  At one point in my loft (which is a average sized room) had excess audio equipment just to use for listening (prior to finishing my basement it was the best spot) and testing cables and you could barely walk in it.  I learned lots.  There is some relatively inexpensive things that can best some pretty expensive cables.  I can also many times figure out what other people who take stock items and make cables from it use.  It was certainly fun but not cheap.

Nick77

« Reply #65 on: 28 Jun 2010, 10:16 pm »
Fred great post, I have been waiting for a few others to join the crowd too with higher end equipment than i posses and confirm our findings. Nice to see were on track and not being overly enthusiastic. hehe
I am a day ahead of you with adding another layer to the equation with the pre-out cable. I dont have 50 hrs on the cable yet but so far it is similiar to yours and Ed's evaluation of adding another layer of refinement but not like adding the first WyWire to the system as you mentioned.
I feel like I am one step closer to being a fatigue free listener. Thank you Alex.

Well i have just 50 hrs on the pre-out cable that Alex sent me. This is the second cable that has been added to my system. The first was a source cable called Hot Sauce. The pre-out cable didnt have a flavor and my first impression without critical listening was a little more refinment in the sound. I was wrong! It goes alot further than that, i am experiencing a level of refinement and clairity that is practically bringing tears to my eyes. It is the closest i have ever heard recorded music sound like live. I run a Yamaha digital soundboard at church and mix almost every sunday so i am around live music quite a bit. I feel like i am seeing deeper into the music than i ever have before, the level of micro and macro detail is at a level i can only equate to live music. I can tell exactly how much reverb is being applied to the guitar while listening to Brian Bromberg cause it so clear and articulate.
Alex had mentioned to me that a full set of WyWires is like getting a system upgrade, i beg to differ, every cable that is added to a system is like an upgrade!
I seem to be able to listen at a lower db and achieve the same level of sound, Alex said that can be equated to the lower inductance of the WyWire cable. I am very grateful to experience this level of music out of a midfi system, i mean hifi system.  :drool:

The hot Sauce cable had the most earth shattering effect but the pre-out is a close second.

Thank you Alex and WyWires!

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #66 on: 28 Jun 2010, 11:40 pm »
Ed,

Interesting first thoughts.  I'm jealous you are trying the speaker cable, but I've got the pre-amp to amp cable coming (hopefully tomorrow) so I'll be adding another layer to equation. 

Your general feeling regarding adding another Wywire to the equation is similar to mine.  A definite top to bottom improvement, but not quite the revelation of merely getting a pair in the system.  One interesting twist for you though:  Wait a few days until you've gotten used to the sound and pull one of the Wywires out in favor of your old reference.  At least in my case I learned I'd lost more than I realized I'd gained.

Gopher- I just pulled my speaker cables and swapped for my previous ones and just couldn't believe how much difference there was. The Wywire cables are already back in place to stay until something better comes along which I highly doubt will ever occur...honestly the best sounding speaker wire I've heard in my time. I know that sounds extreme, but its true, these are outstanding and you really, really hear the impact they have once you take them out and swap back to previous cables. I'm not knowledgeable as to why these cables sound the way they do but I can hear it... and it's very clearly excellent!! --a very happy Beta tester, feel free to send me anything you want listened to in the future Alex. Good Luck with the new venture!!!! :thumb: :thumb:

Gopher

« Reply #67 on: 29 Jun 2010, 12:57 am »
I received a pair of the preamp to amp cables today and they're burning in at a very low volume on right now (wife is watching tv).  The appearance of the cable is very similar to the others, but this one is terminated with the Neutrik RCA plugs like the ones in Ed's pictures rather than the Xhadows on my phono and source cables.

My system is basically inaudible now, but I'm hoping to sneak in an hour or so tonight before bed when she goes to feed the little man again.  I'm trying to remain open minded going into this trial, but I'm already expecting greatness based on past experience. 

Phil,

Maybe we'll do that one day though I have to admit--my cable curiosity is quickly dissipating with these in place.  How do you feel about the Wywire approach to different cable specifications for each application?  It seems like sound logic, but I'm curious as to what you think as a cable builder yourself.

Nick,

Are the pre-outs unflavored?  Alex hadn't commented on which he was sending my way, but I assumed it was hot sauce.  Either way, I'm sure it will be a further revelation and its going in between a tube pre and an ss amp, so either is appropriate.

Ed,

It is something, isn't it?  I had to upgrade my comments after reverting myself.  These things have been worth their weight in friggin plutonium!

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #68 on: 29 Jun 2010, 01:08 am »
I'm just glad I wasn't the only one who thought that!!! Phew!!! :drool:
Ed,

It is something, isn't it?  I had to upgrade my comments after reverting myself.  These things have been worth their weight in friggin plutonium!

Ed
edit- I just had to add this...Alex took a huge risk by doing this test, a lot of cables were sent out to just see if they were good or not. I have had several folks PM me and ask "are they really that good"-YEP. I was naive and thought other folks on other forums might be interested to hear about these cables..so I posted on two sites-got banned from one and Alex and I both got flamed on the other...thank goodness Audiocircle is open to things like this...FWIW

werd

« Reply #69 on: 29 Jun 2010, 01:30 am »
I'm just glad I wasn't the only one who thought that!!! Phew!!! :drool: Ed
edit- I just had to add this...Alex took a huge risk by doing this test, a lot of cables were sent out to just see if they were good or not. I have had several folks PM me and ask "are they really that good"-YEP. I was naive and thought other folks on other forums might be interested to hear about these cables..so I posted on two sites-got banned from one and Alex and I both got flamed on the other...thank goodness Audiocircle is open to things like this...FWIW

Congratz.... you plateaud. There is a definite feeling of audio bliss when you realize on your own that there are differences (like cables) that help in scultping your taste. It does make listening more pleasurable.   :thumb:

Phil A

« Reply #70 on: 29 Jun 2010, 01:32 am »

Phil,

Maybe we'll do that one day though I have to admit--my cable curiosity is quickly dissipating with these in place.  How do you feel about the Wywire approach to different cable specifications for each application?  It seems like sound logic, but I'm curious as to what you think as a cable builder yourself.

Some things certainly do sound better in some applications or systems vs. others.  I've heard things sound really nice in some systems and just OK in others.  I think it is nonsense that some manufacturers build one flavor and combine it with marketing hype that really means very little.  It is certainly easier for them to do that

Gopher

« Reply #71 on: 29 Jun 2010, 01:43 am »
Ed, 

I came across the flaming today--but you actually got banned somewhere for admitting your love for a product.  Weak!  Not the kind of forum I want to be a part of...

Phil,

Oh I definitely love the fact that he offers two different flavors, but I was more curious as to your thoughts on different spec cables for different applications.  I.e. Alex makes a different RCA interconnect for between source and pre than for between pre and amp.  He also makes a different high and low output phono cable. 

This approach makes a lot of sense to me, but I am curious as to why other cable manufacturers don't do the same.  Its sound in logic, is it sound in science? 

Nick77

« Reply #72 on: 29 Jun 2010, 01:51 am »
      Are the pre-outs unflavored?  Alex hadn't commented on which he was sending my way, but I assumed it was hot sauce.  Either way, I'm sure it will be a further revelation and its going in between a tube pre and an ss amp, so either is appropriate.

Alex told me that the pre-out cable would be unflavored, i am not sure if that goes for all of the pre-outs or not.
Fred your in for another treat! Have fun.  :eyebrows:

werd

« Reply #73 on: 29 Jun 2010, 02:24 am »
Ed, 

I came across the flaming today--but you actually got banned somewhere for admitting your love for a product.  Weak!  Not the kind of forum I want to be a part of...

Phil,

Oh I definitely love the fact that he offers two different flavors, but I was more curious as to your thoughts on different spec cables for different applications.  I.e. Alex makes a different RCA interconnect for between source and pre than for between pre and amp.  He also makes a different high and low output phono cable. 

This approach makes a lot of sense to me, but I am curious as to why other cable manufacturers don't do the same.  Its sound in logic, is it sound in science?

If you want to get back at AVS all you gotta do is complain to the all vendors that seem to advertise on that internet rag.... totally pointless for a high end manufacture to even go there for advertising when their membership is dissing their  products....  OH well...

wywires

« Reply #74 on: 29 Jun 2010, 02:28 am »
Alex told me that the pre-out cable would be unflavored, i am not sure if that goes for all of the pre-outs or not.
Fred your in for another treat! Have fun.  :eyebrows:

FYI, the only cable that has a flavor, is the Line level IC at this time. All the others are neutral, or at least as neutral as I know how at this point. I guess definition of neutral is between the two. I have a Hot Sauce phono in tinkering mode now.

rockadanny

« Reply #75 on: 29 Jun 2010, 04:45 pm »
Guess I'll chime in here as well (at risk of being banned :wink:) ...
I've got a pair of Hot Sauce from CDP to pre and really enjoy them. Excellent clarity and so far no screechiness, though I've not really played much of my poorly recorded material just quite yet. (I've been very busy and out of town for a couple of weeks and hope to get back to more listening soon, especially since I too am awaiting a second set of cables for pre to amps.) For well to mediocre recorded material I can say this cable has improved my system's clarity and I am definitely hearing deeper into the music. Other cables have provided this as well but at a cost - fatigue. But so far no negative affects with these. I forget which CD I was playing the other day but it had some chime and tamborine cymbals embedded and I was amazed at how long their sound resonated/decayed after being struck. Longer than I've ever heard with other cables, making for an enjoyable surprise and thus sounding more like live music. Alex really does offer something special with these cables. Thank you Alex.  :thumb:

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #76 on: 29 Jun 2010, 05:55 pm »
Watch out!  This will be next with the "Hot Sauce". 

wywires

« Reply #77 on: 29 Jun 2010, 06:16 pm »
Great Idea! Reminds me of the "Water Cables" somebody was doing a number of years ago. But don't you think the winding around the water bags would add inductance?

srb

« Reply #78 on: 29 Jun 2010, 07:05 pm »
Great Idea! Reminds me of the "Water Cables" somebody was doing a number of years ago. But don't you think the winding around the water bags would add inductance?

Yes, but some people don't like proper cables with minimum resistance, capacitance and inductance.  They prefer cables with LCR characteristics that "flavor" the sound as a band-aid or tone control for the system.

Steve

bacobits1

« Reply #79 on: 29 Jun 2010, 07:47 pm »
I got my pair of cables yesterday, with the description of "they should be used for phono or other line level use". Not sure of the exact flavor. I have not even tried to put these on my phono. Alex knows what I am running here and in fact owned a Pathos Classic II in the past. So, he knows the flavor of the system I'm listening to. This is a remarkable amp when matched correctly.

I have about 10 hours on these interconnects. After 3-4 hours you can hear things calming down, I will call it. First impressions are extremely nice. Lots of depth and soundstaging. If it's on the CD it will be naturalized by these cables. The best I have heard here. My system is on the warmer side of neutral and that has not changed at all. I am running the interconnects between my Raysonic 128 and the Pathos Classic II. Midrange is beautiful as is the highs. There is a fleshy roundness to the performers/instruments it's
all separated, distinct, and all there with PRAT. One step closer to real? Yup!!! Damn quiet too.

I will listen with the system break-in till the weekend then I will place them on the Cable Cooker for 24 hours. I'll report back.

I can't wait for the speaker cables to arrive. I'm using 8 year old Kimber 8TC, cooked for 48 hours.
It is truly profound and that is a strong statement.
I love it. The rest of my system can be checked here at AC.

Great stuff Alex :thumb:

Den N.

Music listened to>>>
Diana Krall- From this Moment On
Mindi Abair- Come As You Are
Paul Brown- Up Front
The Essential Toto- Toto
Larry Carlton- Sapphire Blue
Spyro Gyra- Wrapped in A Dream
Michael Buble'- Michael Buble'
Dotsero- Out of Hand
Eva Cassidy- Live at Blues Alley