Introducing WyWires...

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Re: Introducing WyWires...
« Reply #20 on: 9 Jun 2010, 06:30 am »
I am working on a formal review, but that got held up a few days due to the birth of my first born! 

Congrats Fred...... :beer:

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #21 on: 9 Jun 2010, 12:14 pm »

Gopher

« Reply #22 on: 12 Jun 2010, 04:54 pm »
Thanks guys!  The little man is great and is my new partner in crime/listening buddy.

I finished that formal review and posted it here:  http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=82339.new#new

Sonny

« Reply #23 on: 12 Jun 2010, 05:19 pm »
Pricey cables....I hope they sound amazing!

Nick77

« Reply #24 on: 13 Jun 2010, 06:43 pm »
I contacted Alex and shared my system and needs with him and he suggested we start with a line level set of interconnects. These are built specifically to go between the source and pre. My primary frustration with my system is listener fatigue. My speakers are highly resolving with open baffle mids and ribbon tweeter and platinum teflon bypass caps which all make for a very revealing combination but with alot of music can bring a little fatigue.

Alex said he should be able to help and allow me to enjoy more music. I only have half the suggested hrs on these so i am waiting to pass total judgement. But the cables have brought my system into total focus with insane amounts of resolution. I am not going to say more just yet but i am also experiencing less fatigue. These cables are quite impressive. More later................

Sonny

« Reply #25 on: 13 Jun 2010, 06:46 pm »
Interesting...
All that nice equipment and teflon caps to get the details and definitions of high resolution...as a result, it's too much and now you have to find an i/c that is "musical" dare I say, less resolved, to bring the system down to listenable "musicality"?   :scratch:
I may be missing the point...if so, sorry...

Nick77

« Reply #26 on: 13 Jun 2010, 07:23 pm »
The point of describing the speakers and system as resolving is also to point out that changes are easily discernible. I was always getting the detail that i am getting now but it was smeared and is now in total focus.

The cables seem to smoothly portray the treble region without losing detail yet being less fatiguing. Gopher described the same effect in his report.

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #27 on: 13 Jun 2010, 07:42 pm »
I was shocked at how smoothly and detailed they sounded...the 60 day guarantee Alex offers is great for trying them out. Its definitely an item you have to hear with your own gear to determine if they are a good fit. FWIW :thumb:

Nick77

« Reply #28 on: 14 Jun 2010, 11:32 pm »
These cables are amazing and have not only transformed my system but also my listening habits.

I decided to get way out of my element and write my very first review because of the profound effect they have had on me. I would like to publicly thank Alex and WyWire for my participation in their beta program. I am enjoying the cables more than i can convey.

Review link:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=82430.new#new

« Last Edit: 15 Jun 2010, 12:46 pm by Nick77 »

Gopher

« Reply #29 on: 15 Jun 2010, 04:56 am »
I'm with you, Nick! 

I want to chime in with more excitement but with a qualifier.  I took delivery of new loud speakers on Saturday, Zu Soul Superflys which have been burning in since delivery.

Today I got my hands on a standard line level pair of Wywire RCAs.  They have been placed between my Eastern Electric Minimax DAC and Preamp in place of some Morrow Audio cables and they are blowing my friggin' mind-even more so than the phono cable.  I went back and forth a couple times, but I don't care to remove the Wywire again.

I've literally been listening for the last seven hours glued to my seat. 

I'm probably starting to sound more like a cheerleader than a hobbyist, but these things are that good.   

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #30 on: 15 Jun 2010, 05:06 am »
I'm with you, Nick! 

I want to chime in with more excitement but with a qualifier.  I took delivery of new loud speakers on Saturday, Zu Soul Superflys which have been burning in since delivery.

Today I got my hands on a standard line level pair of Wywire RCAs.  They have been placed between my Eastern Electric Minimax DAC and Preamp in place of some Morrow Audio cables and they are blowing my friggin' mind-even more so than the phono cable.  I went back and forth a couple times, but I don't care to remove the Wywire again.

I've literally been listening for the last seven hours glued to my seat. 

I'm probably starting to sound more like a cheerleader than a hobbyist, but these things are that good.   

You were also pretty estatic over Nagy's demo cables just a couple months earlier. Care to make any off the cuff comparisons between the 2 cables? Thanks.

*Edit, I actually went back and reread your Nagy review and I see you had an synergy issue with them in your system so I guess "estatic" wasn't quite the correct word to use.  :oops:  Just thought I'd correct myself incase you do want to share any comparisons.

Cheers,
Robin

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #31 on: 15 Jun 2010, 12:18 pm »
Alex

Since you have patents pending please tell us what makes your cables so special from a material / science standpoint.  In my opinion, this may help explain the questions regarding high cost.  To many, wire is wire and connectors are connectors.  As I've said before in other threads, you're probably not making your own connectors and am purchasing the wire so any info is greatly appreciated.

wywires

« Reply #32 on: 15 Jun 2010, 01:23 pm »
There is a complete description of the cable construction and design parameters on the website> www.wywires.com under technology and in the FAQ section. I think this will answer your questions.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #33 on: 15 Jun 2010, 01:42 pm »
There is a complete description of the cable construction and design parameters on the website> www.wywires.com under technology and in the FAQ section. I think this will answer your questions.

meh.  what about electrical specs?

wywires

« Reply #34 on: 15 Jun 2010, 02:31 pm »
For the Hot Sauce line level IC at 10kHz

Capacitance: 7.7pF per foot
Inductance: .21uH per foot
Series Impedance: .11 Ohms per foot

Gopher

« Reply #35 on: 15 Jun 2010, 04:21 pm »

You were also pretty estatic over Nagy's demo cables just a couple months earlier. Care to make any off the cuff comparisons between the 2 cables? Thanks.

*Edit, I actually went back and reread your Nagy review and I see you had an synergy issue with them in your system so I guess "estatic" wasn't quite the correct word to use.  :oops:  Just thought I'd correct myself incase you do want to share any comparisons.

Cheers,
Robin

I thought about putting up some thoughts comparing the two as I know a number of ACers have now heard the Naggys, but didn't know if I should since they didn't really suit my tastes.  They are also in two very different price points.

The Naggys did some things really well and were VERY fast, resolved cables.  It was fairly dynamic threw a nice soundstage but was lean and lacking depth and impact on the low end.  It was also a bit light/bleached tonally.

The Wywire is as fast or nearly as fast while being painting the complete picture.  They're harmonically rich, tonally accurate, MUCH more textured, very resolved and uber musical.  They are a more refined, but never polite, better cable.

It really has to be heard to be comprehended and my best suggestion to those interested is to decide for yourself with the sixty day window.  There is no downside.

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #36 on: 15 Jun 2010, 04:24 pm »
Thanks!!! I knew they were special but its nice to hear others have the same thoughts as I when hearing these. Good Luck Alex!!! :thumb: :thumb:

Phil A

« Reply #37 on: 15 Jun 2010, 11:45 pm »
I just got my balanced cables last night and plugged them in a few minutes ago.  Have not had more than a couple of songs to listen to but they sound really good.  They are between my amp (Bryston 14BSST) and preamp (Bryston SP1.7).  I use a (Modwright) modded Oppo BDP-83 which also doubles as a transport for my Bryston BDA-1 DAC.  I have Thiel 3.7s and two Rel Storm III subs.  My room is treated (I have a one-third octave RTA) and there are pictures in my Gallery.  I've just listened to a few cuts of Tift Merritt's new album "See you on the moon."  It will likely be into the weekend when I really have time to listen.

A bit about the cables I'm using.  About a half dozen years back (or a drop longer) for a five year period before that, I had a friend who worked at a high end shop.  For that five year period, I did virtually all his installs/set-ups with him.  Several $100k+ 2 channel only systems and many $25k+ and $50k systems.  At the beginning of the process I would have called myself a home theater enthusiast who previously had friends in the audio business (before I moved to my current area) who was a bit more attune to music playback.  I'd go home to my excellent home theater which did music reasonably well but over time with the level of systems I was exposed to it obviously was not in that league.

With access to the store after hours, I began to buy literally miles of wire after experimenting a bit.  I was able to compare what I was making on all sorts of different systems.  I met one of my friends who lives about a half mile away delivering his system.  He had come into the store (and I was not around - probably in the beginning of 2003)  looking for a system which an interest in SACD.  I was in the market for an SACD player at the same time.  I ended up buying a slightly used Sony XA-777ES and had Modwright do an Absolute Truth Mod.  I had looked at and printed out the manual for a Marantz 8260 but decided against it for several reasons, among them the lack of channel level balance controls which was needed in my system for multi-channel.  I gave the manual to 2 friends who worked at the store and both of them ended up buying it.

The owner did not want to carry the 8260 as there was limited floor space and he was afraid of losing sales of more expensive CD players.  My one friend brought his 8260 in one Saturday when the owner was not there and sold 3 of them.  They carried the unit after that.  My friend, who at this point I had met only a couple of times, once delivering his system, apparently stopped by the store one Saturday and was not happy seeing the $1k Marantz when he had bought a $3.7k CD player after asking about SACD.  He borrowed the player Saturday night (the store is closed Sunday and Monday) and forget to get 3 pairs of cables.  He called me and I took some of my home made ones off my system (I had separate SACD and DVD-A players at that point going thru the Sony TA-P9000ES preamp as a switch).  I hadn't bother to dress them up and he looked at them really funny when I brought them over.

Unknown to me, he decided to A/B my cables (which were RCAs) against the $650 list (I think he got 10% off) RCAs going from his CD player to the preamp (he had two identical outputs on the CD player).  The cables he basically laughed at literally blew away the cables (a night and day difference and he had listened to various things in the store) he had bought (was not a surprise to me as I had done that comparison before).  He couldn't wait to call me over the next night and have me listen.  He then took the $1,095 list (I believe he got 10% off) balanced cable between his amp and preamp and the system got that much better (I thought he was going to cry at this point).  Needless to say he has my balanced cables between the amp and preamp, RCAs from the CD player and speaker cables now (which replaced $1.8k list cables).

Hopefully by the weekend, I'll have some more feedback.  So far they sound totally excellent (and as noted I have lots of exposure to stuff that ain't cheap.

Nick77

« Reply #38 on: 16 Jun 2010, 03:32 pm »
Phil you will find these cables settle down quite a bit in 4-5 hrs but i didnt get great bass till they hit the reccomended 50 hrs burn-in. Give it some time and cant wait to hear your comments given your background. They have taken the windex to my system like nothing ever, i am getting such clarity and resolution its mind blowing.  :drool:

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #39 on: 16 Jun 2010, 03:51 pm »
They have taken the windex to my system

That is a great quote!   :thumb: