Next Gen iPhone?

pjchappy

Next Gen iPhone?
« on: 19 Apr 2010, 05:57 pm »
I've been considering finally jumping on the bandwagon. 

Check this out: http://gizmodo.com/5520164/this-is-apples-next-iphone

Paul

pardales

Re: Next Gen iPhone?
« Reply #1 on: 19 Apr 2010, 06:11 pm »
What a scoop..... :icon_surprised:

TheChairGuy

« Reply #2 on: 19 Apr 2010, 06:19 pm »
wow  :o

That bar-hopping employee or supplier...is SO fired :cry:

John

gary

« Reply #3 on: 19 Apr 2010, 06:58 pm »
IMO it's got to be a deliberate leak by Apple to take away from all the buzz android is getting lately. This definitely makes my 3G look dated and silly.

gary

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: 19 Apr 2010, 07:02 pm »
I got a Droid and am really happy with it.  I was going to go iphone but really like the idea of something that was designed by Google.  It runs so smooth. 

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #5 on: 19 Apr 2010, 08:10 pm »
+1 on Droid!!!! :thumb:

John151

Next iPhone From Apple
« Reply #6 on: 19 Apr 2010, 10:52 pm »
Take a gander at this article to get details on the next iPhone:  http://gizmodo.com/5520164/

What's new
• Front-facing video chat camera
• Improved regular back-camera (the lens is quite noticeably larger than the iPhone 3GS)
• Camera flash
• Micro-SIM instead of standard SIM (like the iPad)
• Improved display. It's unclear if it's the 960x640 display thrown around before—it certainly looks like it, with the "Connect to iTunes" screen displaying much higher resolution than on a 3GS.
• What looks to be a secondary mic for noise cancellation, at the top, next to the headphone jack
• Split buttons for volume
• Power, mute, and volume buttons are all metallic

What's changed• The back is entirely flat, made of either glass (more likely) or ceramic or shiny plastic in order for the cell signal to poke through. Tapping on the back makes a more hollow and higher pitched sound compared to tapping on the glass on the front/screen, but that could just be the orientation of components inside making for a different sound
• An aluminum border going completely around the outside
• Slightly smaller screen than the 3GS (but seemingly higher resolution)
• Everything is more squared off
• 3 grams heavier
• 16% Larger battery
• Internals components are shrunken, miniaturized and reduced to make room for the larger battery

pjchappy

Re: Next iPhone From Apple
« Reply #7 on: 19 Apr 2010, 11:00 pm »
Similar thread already started here: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=80294.0 :thumb:

Paul

Crimson

« Reply #8 on: 20 Apr 2010, 12:21 am »
The two threads have been merged.

chgolatin2

« Reply #9 on: 20 Apr 2010, 01:19 am »
I was about to post the same info, came across it today, got a lil bit excited!  Can't wait for this phone!!!  Yay! :eyebrows:  I wonder how much it will cost?  hmmm, Wow, Apple products seem to ovecome and become better and better, PC what???? lol

ctviggen

« Reply #10 on: 27 Apr 2010, 09:26 pm »
Hmmm...the Gizmodo reporter's house was searched because of this:

http://scitech.blogs.cnn.com/2010/04/26/police-seize-computers-from-gizmodo-editor/?hpt=Sbin

Was Apple mad? 

Bemopti123

« Reply #11 on: 27 Apr 2010, 10:36 pm »
CTViggen, I wonder how much "pull" did Apple have about this police search.  I doubt it had but who knows.  I think it has gone to extremes to show how concerned they were with their latest project. 

BTW, I am looking forward to its release.  My 3G needs a refresher.  Most Droid phones turn me off. 

chgolatin2

« Reply #12 on: 28 Apr 2010, 12:19 am »
Needless to say that Google and Droid system are catching up especially with most of their applications being free  :scratch:

cujobob

« Reply #13 on: 28 Apr 2010, 12:22 am »
Free apps are awesome, but until they get an equivalent touchscreen and OS without any quirks, I'll probably stick with Apple phones.

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #14 on: 28 Apr 2010, 03:04 am »
I got a laugh out of this - Ways Steve Jobs could strike back (at Gizmodo)

http://gizmodo.com/5525728/63-ways-steve-jobs-could-strike-back

shawnbaden

« Reply #15 on: 28 Apr 2010, 03:16 am »
My hope is the micro SIM makes it into production and the same no-contract data plan ($30/month unlimited) available for the iPad is also offered for the iPhone.  That's my dream phone.

kenreau

« Reply #16 on: 29 Apr 2010, 04:46 pm »
Does anyone have an informed date of when the new iPhone is scheduled to be available to the public? 

A tech. industry friend of mine said Apple always releases them in June.  That would be perfect for me as I was intending to buy a 3GS in the near future.  If the new 4G(?) is really going to be out in 5 weeks, I'll probably wait.  It just seems to me that with the iPad & Macbook Pro shipping now, it's not realistic they would be able to issue the new iPhone as soon as June.

Thx,
Kenreau
« Last Edit: 29 Apr 2010, 08:11 pm by kenreau »

ctviggen

« Reply #17 on: 29 Apr 2010, 06:16 pm »
Free apps are awesome, but until they get an equivalent touchscreen and OS without any quirks, I'll probably stick with Apple phones.

I don't know.  I have a friend with the Droid and the phone really is incredible.  It has speech to text conversion (both ways; talk into it or have it read to you); a free app for GPS directions with speech, which he says is awesome, and he can add points to it at any time and include notes on the points; he has an app where it will show you a photograph of the location you're at, and you can rotate the phone around (360 degrees) and the photograph changes based on direction; he has an app that shows the constellations in the sky and it changes when you move the phone to a different portion of the sky.  It's really quite a remarkable phone and not limited to AT&T. 

Crimson

« Reply #18 on: 30 Apr 2010, 01:11 am »
I don't know either, but from what you're describing those apps are been-there-done-that on the iPhone (Google Maps was built in to the iPhone's original OS Maps app for 360 degree views, and there are hundreds of constellation apps that utilize the built-in accelerometer and GPS/triangulation functions).

The iPhone definitely has it's drawbacks, but the enormous library of available apps is not one of them. In fact, that feature alone is what keeps me from replacing it with any other phone currently on the market.   

gary

« Reply #19 on: 30 Apr 2010, 01:34 am »
A friend at work got the Droid Incredible today, it makes my iPhone 3G look like a sad pathetic dated joke. I must have one... and at this point I'm so fed up with apple (see: John Stewart's thrashing of jobs & co. on TDS) that there's little chance I will ever buy anything from them again. Regardless of how good the iPhone 4 might be.

Gary