DIY Dodd Buffer

roymail

• Roy in TX
Re: DIY Dodd Buffer
« Reply #1120 on: 8 Feb 2012, 01:11 pm »
Change of subject just a bit,  would a 7ah sla work well with the Dodd buffer?  How much playing time can be expected from a fully charged 7ah battery?

usp1

« Reply #1121 on: 8 Feb 2012, 02:44 pm »
No reason why it should not work as long as it is 12V. And if you get a ctek smart charger, you can leave it connected and not have to worry about the battery running out.

roymail

• Roy in TX
« Reply #1122 on: 8 Feb 2012, 03:05 pm »
No reason why it should not work as long as it is 12V. And if you get a ctek smart charger, you can leave it connected and not have to worry about the battery running out.

usp1, thanks for jumping in here.  I just ordered a 9ah PowerSonic and a smart charger.  I agree with you, and that's the way I plan to hook it up.

gazza49

« Reply #1123 on: 8 Feb 2012, 06:45 pm »
TrungT ,can you tell me why dodd buffers use the grey powercon for power in,when neutrik describes it as power out.
http://www.neutrik.com/en/lighting/powercon/powercon-20-a/

jk@home

« Reply #1124 on: 9 Feb 2012, 12:11 pm »
I called Neutrik USA regarding this, and you are right, the designation refers to the chassis mount female connectors. Blue is in, grey is out.

Doesn't really matter though. I have both versions on hand, they appear to be identical, but "mirror imaged". So pick what ever color you like, and just make sure you buy the same color male counterpart for the cable.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #1125 on: 9 Feb 2012, 12:15 pm »
Doesn't really matter though.

Actually it does matter.  It's done so one wouldn't plug higih voltage into something that was supposed to be Vout.  I suggest you use the proper connector for the intended purpose.  If not for you but maybe someone else down the line.

When I had my external battery box it would've been really easy to make a mistake but with the proper connectors it takes all of that away.

jk@home

« Reply #1126 on: 9 Feb 2012, 12:25 pm »
Yes you are correct there. I bought two of each, and plan on doing it "right", even though I know that my project won't be used by anyone else. I can use the two grey "outs" on the battery box, along with one blue. Then a blue on the buffer.

siava1018

« Reply #1127 on: 24 Feb 2012, 01:44 am »
What gauge is the silver/copper wire in the kit?

TrungT

« Reply #1128 on: 24 Feb 2012, 02:13 am »
I think 22g teflon silver/copper.

jk@home

« Reply #1129 on: 24 Feb 2012, 02:17 pm »
deleted

« Last Edit: 7 Mar 2012, 11:45 am by jk@home »

siava1018

« Reply #1130 on: 7 Mar 2012, 01:27 am »
Did i hook up the vol. pot backwards? the vol goes down clock wise and up counter clock and i have heavy distortion.  Good thing is my dac and class d amp are on batteries and sound great.

I have the outs from the tube going to the center pin(2) Ground on pin 3 and pin 1 to my amp.  Also i have the caps after the pot, should they be before the pot?

jk@home

« Reply #1131 on: 7 Mar 2012, 10:50 am »
AFAIK, the pot should go before the tube, the tube buffer has an input impedance of 100k, that's why a 100k pot is used.  The caps go after the buffer. Email Gary, he's very quick with a response.

Here are the diagrams from the Dodd site. If you have the new Dodd basic buffer that has just one module, that diagram is different.

http://doddaudio.com/Documents/DIAGRAM.pdf

http://doddaudio.com/Documents/buffer%20module%20wiring.pdf
« Last Edit: 9 Mar 2012, 12:31 am by jk@home »

roymail

• Roy in TX
« Reply #1132 on: 10 Mar 2012, 10:10 pm »
I got my Dodd battery tube buffer/Goldpoint attenuator just over a week ago, and it sounds terrific in my little single CDP source system.  The Goldpoint 20K stepped attenuator sounded very detailed by itself, but the Dodd makes everything sound more dynamic along with the many other positive attributes already mentioned many times.

Gary did a wonderful job building this buffer to my cosmetic specs.  Looks awesome!  If anyone wants more info, just PM me anytime.  :D

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #1133 on: 10 Mar 2012, 10:11 pm »
Looks awesome!
How about posting some pics?

praedet

« Reply #1134 on: 10 Mar 2012, 10:22 pm »
Anyone got any info on the upcoming DODD Audio LDR?

jk@home

« Reply #1135 on: 10 Mar 2012, 10:44 pm »
I got my Dodd battery tube buffer/Goldpoint attenuator just over a week ago, and it sounds terrific in my little single CDP source system.  The Goldpoint 20K stepped attenuator sounded very detailed by itself, but the Dodd makes everything sound more dynamic along with the many other positive attributes already mentioned many times.

Gary did a wonderful job building this buffer to my cosmetic specs.  Looks awesome!  If anyone wants more info, just PM me anytime.  :D

Good to hear, Roy. I talked to Arn Roatcap just a few days ago, going to order a Goldpoint next week. He recommended a 25k, (as he does on his web site :) ). Gary said this would be fine also, evidently the pot size isn't that critical.

roymail

• Roy in TX
« Reply #1136 on: 12 Mar 2012, 09:31 am »
Good to hear, Roy. I talked to Arn Roatcap just a few days ago, going to order a Goldpoint next week. He recommended a 25k, (as he does on his web site :) ). Gary said this would be fine also, evidently the pot size isn't that critical.

I doubt there would be any audible difference between the 20K and 25K, just remember to keep the IC's as short as possible.  I'm using 1 meter ic's.  2 volts from your CDP will give you plenty of volume if your speakers are of average or higher efficiency.

How about posting some pics?

I will try to post some pics soon.

roymail

• Roy in TX
« Reply #1137 on: 12 Mar 2012, 09:43 am »
These pics of my completed buffer w/GP volume control were sent by Gary Dodd.

jk@home

« Reply #1138 on: 12 Mar 2012, 12:19 pm »
I doubt there would be any audible difference between the 20K and 25K, just remember to keep the IC's as short as possible.  I'm using 1 meter ic's.  2 volts from your CDP will give you plenty of volume if your speakers are of average or higher efficiency.

Yeah he probably recommends the 25k cause that's what he keeps the most of in stock.  :wink:

Buffer looking good. I should have my ammo can battery box done next week, and all my buffer parts together sometime next month. Thinking about using one of those fancy Hammond chassis with the walnut sides.

siava1018

« Reply #1139 on: 20 Mar 2012, 10:15 pm »
So im still having distortion problems even after i rewired it using the instructions gary sent me.  Now its been 2 weeks and i havent heard anything from gary.  What should i do ive had this thing for months.